2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working? 2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working?

Unread 01-09-2016, 10:40 PM
2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working?

I had laparoscopic surgery on the 7th due to massive fibroids. My doctor, knowing I don't want to have kids of my own, suggested this surgery as a means to alleviate pain. Originally, the intent was to leave both ovaries but once they got inside, they saw my right one was riddled in cysts and fibroids and was the size of a small cantaloupe. So everything in there was removed except lefty.

A few hours after I woke up, I begged them to remove the catheter and after a first few burning pees, I can urinate just fine now (but no BMs yet, even with the softeners and milk of magensia I've been taking). I can move around and Im only taking ibuprofen now. I feel so bloated though and I haven't gotten th courage to look at my stomach yet because I know it must be awful. I'm a really active person so this is killing me!

Has anyone here been left with only one ovary? My doctor said it will take over for righty but I've read some awful stories of the ovary not "waking up." How will I know if it isn't working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Re: 2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working?

Hi! Welcome to the other side!

Like you, one of my ovaries was in bad shape and had to go. So I've only the one - and for me - it's working just fine.

Things to watch for - night sweats, hot flashes, severe headaches, mood swings, crying spells. If you experience any of these, contact your doctor. They will order blood work and can prescribe medication as necessary. Hopefully, your remaining ovary will continue doing what you need it to do.

As a very active woman, I understand wanting to be active. But please rest and be gentle with yourself. You just had major surgery, had organs removed, and while your outward incision is tiny, your internal incision is large and your body must be allowed time and rest to heal.
Unread 01-10-2016, 10:34 AM
2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astvc View Post
I had laparoscopic surgery on the 7th due to massive fibroids. My doctor, knowing I don't want to have kids of my own, suggested this surgery as a means to alleviate pain. Originally, the intent was to leave both ovaries but once they got inside, they saw my right one was riddled in cysts and fibroids and was the size of a small cantaloupe. So everything in there was removed except lefty.

A few hours after I woke up, I begged them to remove the catheter and after a first few burning pees, I can urinate just fine now (but no BMs yet, even with the softeners and milk of magensia I've been taking). I can move around and Im only taking ibuprofen now. I feel so bloated though and I haven't gotten th courage to look at my stomach yet because I know it must be awful. I'm a really active person so this is killing me!

Has anyone here been left with only one ovary? My doctor said it will take over for righty but I've read some awful stories of the ovary not "waking up." How will I know if it isn't working?
Hi! I was able to keep both ovaries but have been experiencing lots of menopausal like symptoms. Hot flashes, crying, a night sweat (only once), heart racing, dry eyes, etc. I discussed with a nurse at my dr office and she agreed that my ovaries are likely "sleepy" or in "shock" since surgery. I plan to wait it out a bit... Not sure how long I'll have to see what my dr thinks. I'd say the symptoms already are improving at close to 5 weeks since surgery. I don't want to go on any HRT until I see what my body will do... Same goes fur paying for hormone testing because I already know it's gotta be wacky! I haven't seen any good time frames but I'm hopeful it will continue to improve. That being said, it seems some sister's Drs do not "believe" in sleepy ovaries, etc. good luck to you. You're not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Re: 2 days post hysterectomy: only one ovary remains - how will I know if it isn't working?

I kept both of my ovaries and at almost 5 weeks post op they are not functioning. I am 26 and am experiencing hot flashes night sweats, insomnia, migraines, cry spells, dry eyes. My dr put me on hrt but I think I need to have my meds upped. I go back on the 14th. She left my ovaries bc of my age and the risk of bone loss. But If she decides they aren't going to improve we will go back in to remove the due to ovarian cancer running in my family. I hope yours wake up soon!
Unread 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the input, ladies!

Ever since I was in the hospital, I've been sweating in bed but I think it's because I'm not moving much like I usually can. And I have been covered up with lots of pillows and blankets. I can't sleep well but that's because I can't get into a comfortable position

Tonight I started feeling weird, so I called the nurse hotline and then my doctor. I've been feeling very warm (not in a flashy sense) but my thermometer is reading around 99.1. My normal temp is 97.9. And then a little tingly, but not numb, with warmer feelings going down my neck and my hands. I did stop taking Nucynta yesterday because my close up vision got blurry, so I'm only taking 800mg of ibuprofen. I did get dizzy/lightheaded but I do have anxiety so I think I worked myself up a bit. My follow up is on Thursday.

But gosh, I really really hope that this is normal and my ovary is okay. I wonder, too, that I had my Mirena IUD in for al last five years, so maybe that is another cause??

Doc said Thursday is too early to tell but I'm afraid of going too long without hormones. Do you think this'll be okay? I really don't want to go through menopause at 30!!
Unread 01-10-2016, 09:37 PM

I have one left and this is 5 weeks post surgery, and I haven't had any problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register