6 days post radical hysterectomy-my doc will only sign me off 2 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post radical hysterectomy-my doc will only sign me off 2 weeks 6 days post radical hysterectomy-my doc will only sign me off 2 weeks

Unread 08-06-2014, 08:17 AM
6 days post radical hysterectomy-my doc will only sign me off 2 weeks

Hi

I posted earlier this week about my radical hysterectomy following a cervical cancer diagnosis on the 14th July.

I have been for a check up today with my surgeon and everything looks positive although this is been by far the worst thing I have ever gone through

BUT he says he is only prepared to give me another TWO weeks sick note from work because he 'doesn't believe people should sit around' and my stress levels have gone through the roof-I know it's only a week since my op but I can barely walk from the living room to the bedroom (we live in an apartment so am not even talking stairs), my mum is here in Dubai with me and helping me shower daily!!! The thought of sitting at my desk 9 hours a day in my investment banking role in two weeks is making me feel sick. This is the first time I have felt that I haven't been able to ask him the questions I wanted to, especially about how I should be feeling (I am 34 and we had planned to start a family next year) and about long term effects etc of having the amount of lymph nodes removed that I did and I just don't know how to feel. He even told me to stop bed rest today even though when I was discharged from hosp on sat he wrote on his discharge summary that I should have bed rest for 10 days

Is 3 weeks normal to be back at work after a laparoscopy radical hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Re: 6 days post radical hysterectomy-my doc will only sign me off 2 weeks

I am the type of person that needs to get moving to get normal again, and i was off nearly 5 weeks and it was still too soon! I havea physically demanding job. I am all for get up and get moving, but two weeks seems like is too little. I wasnt even allowed normal activity until 4 weeks, and now at 3 1/2 months still struggle some days. Complications niw, but my surgery was simple and normal. Can you get a second opinion? Try not to stress too much, once you start moving more recovery seems to go a lot faster! But it still takes time. HysterHugs.
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Sorry but your Dr. is a jerk. It isn't like you just delivered a baby ! I would definitely seek another Dr. that is ridiculous !

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM

That's awful. Is it possible to see someone else? If not, I would make an appointment for a few days before you are to go to work and make it clear to him that you are NOT able to do it. Perhaps he'd give you two weeks of half time work so you can ease in to things.

Of course it's good to be up and walking some each day and doing self-care, but that's a far cry from a 45 hour work week. I'd be raising a fuss with the doctor.

To be encouraging though, in the next two weeks, you are likely to see a big improvement in how you feel. I know I did. Each day I just had myself do a little more - walk a bit longer, putter a bit in the kitchen, wipe the bathroom sink and mirror, that sort of thing. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:26 PM
6 days post radical hysterectomy-my doc will only sign me off 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyindubai View Post
Hi

I posted earlier this week about my radical hysterectomy following a cervical cancer diagnosis on the 14th July.

I have been for a check up today with my surgeon and everything looks positive although this is been by far the worst thing I have ever gone through

BUT he says he is only prepared to give me another TWO weeks sick note from work because he 'doesn't believe people should sit around' and my stress levels have gone through the roof-I know it's only a week since my op but I can barely walk from the living room to the bedroom (we live in an apartment so am not even talking stairs), my mum is here in Dubai with me and helping me shower daily!!! The thought of sitting at my desk 9 hours a day in my investment banking role in two weeks is making me feel sick. This is the first time I have felt that I haven't been able to ask him the questions I wanted to, especially about how I should be feeling (I am 34 and we had planned to start a family next year) and about long term effects etc of having the amount of lymph nodes removed that I did and I just don't know how to feel. He even told me to stop bed rest today even though when I was discharged from hosp on sat he wrote on his discharge summary that I should have bed rest for 10 days

Is 3 weeks normal to be back at work after a laparoscopy radical hysterectomy?
I went back at 4 weeks and my biggest problem is the fatique. Maybe if he clears you tjen you can just do 3 days a week back for two weeks to ease into it. I know my job only requires a dr note if it is more than 3 days in a row - awesome loop hole - shhhhh - good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register