trouble with bowels - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

trouble with bowels trouble with bowels

Unread 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
trouble with bowels

Hi all! Just take stool softeners. safe and easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
trouble with bowels

hi, i had surgery on the 27th of march, and also had this problem, my dr reccomended ducolax, and it only took one dose, but i also eat alot of things that provide fiber. I dont like bran flakes, taste kinda bland, but i eat them every morning with a bananna chopped up in the to make them taste better, and i eat a lot of whole wheat bread. Hope you get better soon!
Unread 04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
trouble with bowels

I am still taking 2 stool softeners per day and it is 9 weeks since my op. Does anyone know if this is ok? I got Zelnorm off my family doctor to help with the constipation but it got taken off the market so I had to take it back and I only used it for 5 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM
trouble with bowels

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne100
I am still taking 2 stool softeners per day and it is 9 weeks since my op. Does anyone know if this is ok? I got Zelnorm off my family doctor to help with the constipation but it got taken off the market so I had to take it back and I only used it for 5 days.
hi anne...are the stool softeners working for you? if you do need them, then i think it's okay from everything i've read here. best to consult with your dr. i have also learned thru the wise women on the various forums of this website that you should wean yourself slowly off laxatives, stool softeners, etc., just as you would wean yourself off of the painkillers (do this with your dr.'s advice).

there are other natural ways to help with the constipation along with stool softeners, etc.; drinking lots of water, walking, more fibre, etc. just keep on top of it...it shouldn't last forever.
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
trouble with bowels

Another sister recommended Slow Move Tea by Traditional Medicinals when I was having bowel problems after surgery. I found it at my local grocery store. You take it at bedtime and by morning you should be moving again.
Unread 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
trouble with bowels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie111
Miralax is now over the counter. I have had constipation problems my entire life and so do my kids. I take 1/2 dose every day (I am not normal) and it is great.

I would recommend it!

Connie
I've been wondering about that product. I've seen the tv ads and been meaning to do a search on it. I, too, have struggled with constipation my whole adult life. In the last year or so, I've gotten better at adding fiber to my diet and have found the miracle of senna tea. But I'm always interested in what's working out there. Since surgery, my colace/senna tea combo seems to be working now (used MOM 2x the 1st week).

About a year and a half ago, I did my 1st annual "Colonix" cleanse - parasite eliminator (paranil) and all (ew)! For 3 months, I drank a fiber shake and took the paranil every morning and drank the senna tea every night (we lovingly refer to it as "poo tea" in my house). For 3 months, I had 2-3 bms a day and passed some very disturbing-looking stools. Under normal circumstances, I have a bm 2-3 times a week so you can imagine my surprise!!! I've been thinking about doing it again (as I have a 2-month supply sitting in my cabinet) but am concerned that it might be too soon after surgery - especially for the paranil. I'll have to ask the doc.

Such delicate after dinner conversation. I love this site!

Best wishes to all the ladies with potty issues... I'm off to brew some poo tea!

colls
Unread 04-10-2007, 07:55 AM
trouble with bowels

Had a bowel resection with my LSH and my bowel doc prescribed Colace stool softener. I stopped taking it a couple days after I left the castle, but restarted it this weekend and things are working much better. I have had constipation for years because of endo.
There's also a version of Colace that has a laxative in it, much gentler than Fleet enemas, Dulcolax or one of the other bisacodyl laxatives.
HTH
Karen
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:26 AM
trouble with bowels

Well after my surgery I had severe constipation also and my Dr. wouldnt let me take laxatives [understandably] but I kept beeing bothered by it so I went to my Gastro.Dr. and she did a colonoscopy and found nothing wrong so she put me on a fiber powder but after months still no help so she then put me on Glycolax it is a powder you mix in liqiud [tastes best in juice] and it draws water into the bowls and in 24 hours you will have a bowl movement guaranteed!! I take it daily so does my Dr. she has chronic constipation as well I have been on it for almost a year and it works very well. it is non adictive and even lil kids take it until they get older or forever. hope this helps it helped me!
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:14 AM
trouble with bowels

Gycolax is the generic form of miralax.
Unread 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
trouble with bowels

I mentioned this in another post, so excuse me for repeating myself. Eat some popcorn! I tried stool softners and Milk of Mag with limited success. I had many, tiny bowel movements that did nothing to relieve the sensation of having to "go". I felt like I wasn't able to completely empty my bowels and this led to a feeling of pressure, which caused my internal hemorrhoids to flare up. I ate some popcorn and this really helped clean out my colon. I'm into my fifth week post-op and whenever I feel a little constipated I make some popcorn, get a big glass of water, and enjoy a good movie.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register