First Dumb Question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Dumb Question? First Dumb Question?

Unread 06-22-2003, 07:40 PM
First Dumb Question?

Hi Ladies,
Been reading alot of the posts on the message boards, gotta ask. What determines if you have a TAH or a TVH? I mean is this Drs. choice or medically determined? Is one easier than the other? Sorry if it sounds silly, all this is new to me.
Thanks,Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 07:45 PM
First Dumb Question?

(((Connie))))),

Alot is determined by what organs you want to remove and which you want to leave
ie. you can't have a vaginal and keep the cervix .

It is also by the size of the organs ie a large uterus or large / numerous fibroids.

If cancer is suspected.

If you never had children.

so you see many factors are involved. You must discuss your options with your Dr.

And there are no dumb ?s hon.

Hope this helped,

Pamcat
Unread 06-22-2003, 08:13 PM
First Dumb Question?

Dear Connie:

The method of surgery you have will depend on your symptoms and your doc's level of surgical skills. Many surgeries that were done abdominally in the past are now able to be done vaginally or with laparascopic assistance.

However, any of these less invasive surgeries could turn into abdominal surgery, depending on what transpires in the OR. I was a prolapse victim, so an excellent candidate for TVH. The doc who gave my 2nd opinion had much more cutting & pasting in mind for me than the 3rd opinion doc who eventually did my surgery.

Be sure to ask your doc why your method of surgery is recommended over another method. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2003, 08:20 PM
First Dumb Question?

I had a TAH/BSO because I had a history of cysts and endometriosis. My doctor wanted to have more room to do exploratory surgery as needed. From what I have read, it appears that a vaginal hyst may be little easier recovery because you don't have an outer incision to deal with. However, you still have all of the internal stitches with a TVH, and your total recovery time is about the same.

Be sure to ask your Dr. lots of questions, and get a 2nd opinion if it makes you more comfortable.

Best Wishes
Unread 06-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Confusing, Huh!

That has been a major concern of mine as well. I am so confused I don't know which way is up. One doc said TAH and another said that TVH. I'm planning on going to a third doc. I think most doctors recommend what they are most skilled in... I just visited a web site that dispelled a lot of what they called hysterectomy "myths". If you are interested it's www.womenssurgerygroup.com.
Unread 06-23-2003, 08:23 PM
First Dumb Question?

I actually wanted an abdominal. I know my body and didn't want anything ( cutting, stitches, or otherwise) near my vagina ( been there; done that 3 times. no more). I found an abdominal recovery much easier than recovering from a sore bottom. It can be a personal choice. My DR had no problem with me wanting one and she was glad that she would be able to actually see my ovaries while she was in there. I'm happy with my choice. Good luck
Unread 06-23-2003, 08:25 PM
First Dumb Question?

there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to your health. I am having a TAH because I have several large cyst and fibroids plus they think I may have endo. Just make sure which ever route you all decide to take you know all the pros and cons of the procedure. Good luck and put your surgery date in so that we can say a special prayer for you on your day.

Beverly
Unread 06-24-2003, 01:43 AM
First Dumb Question?

I had to have a total abdominal hyst because I had fibroids all over. The doc said my ovaries were double or triple their normal sized covered with cysts and tumors (no cancer).

I also had a huge fibroid up near my navel.......so a vertical scar was the order of the day. It's ugly, but no more pain....LOLOL!!!
Unread 06-24-2003, 04:58 AM
First Dumb Question?

My surgeon told me the reason for the abdominal choice was to get a total view of my pelvic region. It was suspected to be ovarian cancer and the best way to view the organs is through the abdominal opening. I agree with this thought because tumors have a wonderful way of hiding behind ovaries! Mine was not discovered until it was 8cm. After my surgery the Dr told me it appeared to have formed on the back of my ovary instead of off to the side or on the top of it. I wonder if that is why it was not detected until my pain was so severe that I could not move. Regardless of my thoughts on it, you should question why the surgery is going to be done a certain way, you have the right to know and it will make the doctors know that you are not going to stand for unnecessary procedures or pain. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register