to hyst or not to hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

to hyst or not to hyst to hyst or not to hyst

Unread 05-11-2001, 12:48 PM
to hyst or not to hyst

Greetings. I'm new and of course full of questions. I've had problems with fibroids for the past 7 or so years--abd myomectomy 6 yrs ago. About 3 yrs ago I started Provera for prolonged periods. During the past year and some I've had severe cramps during my periods (but no Niagara-thank goodness). We're on trial 2 of BCPs to see if the spotting will go away and the cramps will lessen; as of today NOPE! I even took the Lorbid my DD prescribed and it lessened the pain, but didn't take it away. My appt is Thurs (5/17) and, as I've known since Feb, if these two didn't work, he said that we should consider a hysterectomy (uterus only, leaving cervix and ovaries). I'm married with no kids and, trust me, I'm at peace with that. But I'm also only 36. I realize this is major and irreversible surgery, and if it is necessary, then I'll deal with it. BUT, does anyone out there know of anything short of a hyst that might help?? It seems that everything I've read about hyst alternatives doesn't "fit" my catagory. Just trying to be thorough.

Bless all who visit this site.

Laura A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2001, 04:49 PM
Hi Laura...

Angie gave you a good site. Here is another one you might want to check out.

http://thefibroidplace.com/

The music is nice, too!

Hope we have helped you.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-13-2001, 12:21 AM
to hyst or not to hyst

Hi Laura,

I just wanted to say 'Hi', I am in the same situation. Should I or shouldn't I seems to be my constant thought. Sounds like you've been trying alternative therapies. I myself don't do well on any hormonal type drugs, and hrt really scares me. So we are ****ed if we do and ****ed if we don't. lol! I am so thankful for this site, it has given me such a thorough education on before and after hyst.. I never realized what a major surgery a hyst. is. I will be thinking of you and hope you do what is best for you. Aren't we so lucky to have these caring women to offer their experience and knowledge to us? Good luck sweetie! Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2001, 05:29 AM
to hyst or not to hyst

Jen,

Thanks so much for your input. The thought of "should I or shouldn't I" is undoubtedly a daily one! My first round of BCPs was an experience in itself--I thought I was going to kill someone It seemed that the Provera just kind of quit working; I started spotting again and had what I call "spike" cramps. I was in misery for about a day and a half; one morning I could hardly get out of bed. Of course calling in sick once a month does nothing to help your work evaluation. This is why we switched to the BCPs; the pain has lessened SOME, but now it lasts longer! I call these my "unless you want something, leave me the h*** alone" days. I'm hoping my doctor has a rabbit up his sleeve--he's wonderful and I know that he really does see the hyst as a last resort.

Strange as this may sound, I'm not really worried about surgery and recovery; been there, done that, and for more than just this problem. My only real fear is that I want to make sure to do the right thing. I'm aware that this is a one-shot deal, no reversals, and I guess that's why I'm trying to see what else is out there so that I can make the most informed decision I can. Pardon the venting, but another problem I'm having is finding others in my area with the same kinds of problems. I'm very grateful for this site also; the information is incredibly helpful but I'm also sorely in need of the humor! Some of the stories, the cartoons, etc. are so refreshing it DOES make you laugh out loud!! Good luck and God bless.

Laura
Unread 05-14-2001, 10:02 AM
to hyst or not to hyst

Hi Laura,
There are two other websites that immediately come to my mind (I must have 100 of them bookmarked for fibroids), but one is www.fibroid.org and www.fibroid.net (or could be .com All my bookmarks are at work ).

I am only 34 and no kids (my choice) and didn't want to consider the myomectomy because I knew fibroids can grow back at any time. The only way to get rid of those suckers totally is remove the uterus. I did keep my ovaries but had mine done vaginally so the cervix went.

I was on continuous bcp's twice for the bleeding and everytime I let my body have a period, it was pure hell. After the second round of cont. bcp's that's when the bleeding never stopped. I was then put on progestin which only slowed things up for a day or two, then it was back to niagra falls (I love that term) and Depends. What a joy that was. Three months of that fun stuff.

I am so happy now to not have any more bleeding. It's a very freeing experience, I'll tell you.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Unread 05-16-2001, 07:20 AM
to hyst or not to hyst

This is to Kelly, Kaatie, and Adrite,

Thanks for the website information; I've been to a couple of them before but this time I took a closer look. As I mentioned, my appt is tomorrow and I have a LIST of questions for my DD--he's used to me My husband is also going with me; I told him he may have questions that I haven't thought of. The only problem with this is that I have to have my pap redone; he CAN'T stay for that! I had an abnormal one in February (first time ever) and I hope it was a fluke; if not, I may be kissing my ovaries goodbye Keep you fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the information and for your concern. It's good to know that there are others who have been through this and are so willing to share their experiences. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Laura A
Unread 05-16-2001, 10:42 PM
Laura...

A bad pap doesn`t necessiarily mean you have to have your ovaries removed.

If your ovaries are healthy I would fight to keep them. Surgical menopause brings a whole host of other symptoms. They are fixable..{is that a word?}..but it takes some tinkering for many of us.

Please let us know what your Dr. says, OK?

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-21-2001, 05:40 AM
to hyst or not to hyst

TADAAA!! I went to my doctor on Thursday and gave him the update; he said it's sounds more like surgery by the minute. I asked him point-blank if there was anything else available. He told me about Lunelle and we're going to try it. It sounds a lot like Depo-Provera, but you get an injection every month instead of every 3 months. The plan is to try to stop my periods, since that is really the only time I have problems; we're going to start with a couple of injections and then if it doesn't work we'll do the surgery in July. My husband knows I don't like needles (had a medically bumpy childhood) and couldn't believe that I'd consent to that, but I told him it would be better than the alternative! Thanks so much for your help but even more so for your support. I'm working on finding out if there are any local support groups for either fibroids or hysterectomies. If not, I may start one!
Unread 05-21-2001, 06:19 AM
Laura...

My Dr. got my bleeding under control with 10 mg of medroxyprogesterone 2x a day. I didn`t have fibroids...at least that wasn`t what was causing my bleeding. This might not be a treatement for fibroid bleeding, but I thought I would pass it along.

Wishing you a speedy journey toward good health!

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register