LAVH Incision issue?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision issue?? Incision issue??

Unread 07-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Incision issue??

I had a LAVH on June 15, 2011. So, I am 3 weeks post op. My incisions (5) are all closed. I have one incision on my right side that has become red and swollen. It is also sore when touched. I have been feeling great and probably overdone things, but the doc said I was looking great. (my incision was not red or swollen when I saw him) What could cause my incision to be this way? I don't think infection because it's closed, or am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Re: Incision issue??

Does the incission feel warm to the touch? If it does feel warmer than the rest of your abdomen Id say with almost certainty it is infected. If it doesnt feel warmer then it may just be healing weird.
You probably need to have it seen tomorrow, even if it is with your general practicioner just to be safe. It may just be part of the healing. but IF it is infected and you catch it early you may can just have it drained off a little and take some oral antibiotics. If you leave it too long you may not get off quite as easily.
With my 2nd csection I developed an infection in part of my incission at a week post op that I didnt realize was infection until a full week later when it blew open and was spewing (literally) puss and bloood. Absolutely horrifying and gross experience.
The treatment consisted of reopening, cleaning, gauze packing, and eventually closing it all back up several days later. And a month on antibiotics and all their side effects. Did not enjoy that experience at all. LOL

Better safe than sorry, right?
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the info. The area does not feel warmer than the rest of my abdomen, so hopefully it's just healing weird. If it is still hurting like this on Monday, I'll make an appt. I didn't think it could get infected if it was closed though, so not exactly what I wanted to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Okay, so I took a long shower, and when I got out, the incision had a tiny hole in it and I squeezed it (of course!!!). Some clear and very light yellow fluid came out, although not a lot. I am assuming it IS infected > I put triple antibiotic ointment on it and covered it. If that the right thing to do? And is there any way it will clear itself up without antibiotics? Suggestions please. I was so happy that I was doing so well, but now I'm not so happy. Please give me some advice. Thanks so much.
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM

I dont know about antibiotic cream. With mine I called Dr and was advised to tape thick gauze or maxi pad across it and allow it to drain over night, and go in to the Dr the next morning. You really need to call your Drs emergency on call number and talk with a nurse there. These days I always worry about Staph setting up.
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Please head to the ER right now if your doctor's office is not available. I had a stitch sticking out and it got infected (red, sore and leaked a bit of pus). When I got to the ER, they were all over me when I told them that I had had a hysterectomy. They sent me for an ultrasound on the spot in case I had an abscess. It turned out that it was a tiny one (less than a 1/4 in or .6 cm) and they gave me antibiotics for 10 days. I wouldn't wait because if it is an abcess, it will only get bigger and be more trouble.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register