Question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Question?

First off, I'm scheduled for a total hysterectomy on July 12. I'm wondering on whether to ask for a spinal block or general. I dread the thought of going under but I'm not sure I want to be awake for the two hours my dr has put aside to make sure he gets the job done perfectly(his words). My pre-op is on July 7th and one minute it seems far away and the next coming too soon! I won't be able to take HRT but my dh and I have been researching and trying to be prepared. I do like to tease him and tell him to remember it's the lack of hormones talking. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to ask is which did you have or prefer to have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Question?

I had a spinal and general anesthesia. I couldn't imagine being awake through surgery like this. The spinal was nice because it kept me out of pain for the first 24 hours. i think I would have had major anxiety attacks if I knew I was going to be awake through it all. You said you were having a total hysterectomy but you didn't say whether it's oing to be abdominal or vaginal.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Question?

I chose to have a general. I couldn't calm myself with the thought of a spinal. The day of sugery they put me on morphine, which made me sick. The next day I was totally off of pain meds, and it was tolerable. I anticipated the worst and was pleasantly surprised. My ovaries felt like they were cramping and I felt the staples burn when I got up to move. The nausia drove me nuts. I'd choose no pain meds to avoid throwing up. Good luck with your decision.

Hugs,
Kathleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Question?

I'm sorry, I'm having an abdominal. 19 yrs ago I went through this before with 5 laps, and a lysis of adhesions, plus 3 c-sections in the last 11 yrs that my dr feels he won't be able to get everything by vaginal. I just can't decide which I hate more-an epidural or going under.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Question?

Chris2Max3--my surgery date is the exact same as yours! My doctor has said from day 1 that it would be under general--and that's totally okay with me, because I do not want to be conscious or aware of what is happening. Mine will be TVH, which means no incision, so that's very helpful. I'm also getting a TVT (bladder repair).

I have previously had a spinal, which allowed me to be awake when an earlier procedre was done. It went off without a hitch, and I felt great. If your dr okays it and you want to stay awake, definitely consider that option.

We should stay in touch since our surgery is on the same date!
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Question?

I never had children so I don't know what the difference is between an epidural and the spinal that they gave me. I heard that you can get really bad headaches with the spinal/epidural. After surgery the nurses made me keep my bed no lower than a 40 degree angle and kept me on oxygen over night. They said that would prevent the spinal headache. As far as the temporary paralysis goes, you don't want to get out of bed anyway so that wasn't a problem at all. I don't know what you didn't like about your epidurals but I had no problems what so ever with my spinal.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Question?

I am 2 weeks post-op (TAH/BSO) I had general anesthesia along with a nerve block, which only numbed the incision area. It worked great for me and I woke up with ZERO pain. I know that sounds suprising, because I am still shocked that I had no pain after waking up...it was such a relief.
I was offered the option to have general anesthesia along with an epidural for 24 hours afterwards for pain relief, but decided against it. I was so worried about whether I had made the right decision or not, but it turned out fine.

Everyone is different but I know that I would never want to be awake during the surgery. I was way to nervous and scared for that.

By the way, I noticed that you will not be on HRT. I will not be starting HRT for a few months due to endo. I know that each person has a different experience, but I wanted to let you know that so far I have only had night sweats. I'm still early in the recovery stage, but that has been my only symptom so far. It is aggrivating, but not impossible to live with.

I hope you have an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery.
Cheryl
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Question?

Even though on the monitor it showed my heart rate and pulse normal- my heart felt like it was racing and I wanted to jump off the bed and run! That worries me a little but I had a craniotomy 3 yrs ago last May and I don't like the thought of waking up again either. I guess I just need to ask for some happy pills and get it over with huh?
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:56 PM
to herbsandveggies

We definitely have to keep in touch! I am sooo glad I found this site! While I have a wonderful dh who I can talk to about anything- I can only talk to my mom about the surgery itself or things like that even though she went through this same thing when I was little her philosophy is it is in the past why bring it up? I just feel like I'm entering a whole new stage in my life and am I ready for it? I'm 37.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Question?

I opted to be knocked out completely! And, so glad that I did...I was scheduled for a simple TVH, ended up with a TAH (everything gone)...So glad I was not awake. They can't anticipate complications, and I was aware that there may be some. I don't remember anything after the "cocktail"...don't even remember being in recovery. The first recollection I have is when I was already in my room, in my bed. I did have an epidural with my first child...it was great. But, glad I was not awake for this surgery!

Whatever you decide, good luck and hope you have a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register