1 day post hysterectomy phlegm concerns - lozenges? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 day post hysterectomy phlegm concerns - lozenges? 1 day post hysterectomy phlegm concerns - lozenges?

Unread 11-13-2015, 08:14 PM
1 day post hysterectomy phlegm concerns - lozenges?

Just got home. Have some phlegm stuck in my throat and trying to cough it up without feeling like my stitches will burst! Anyone recommend any lozenges or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Re: Just got home from hysterectomy today

I had the same problem with mucus, coughing, etc. and actually after 15 days am still coughing (ongoing sinus drip). Unfortunately the only thing you are going to be able to do to relieve it, and its actually helpful to help prevent pneumonia or other infection, is to hold that pillow tightly to your belly and cough. It gets better quickly. Try to hang in there!

Nancy
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:13 PM

If you are sitting or lying down when you start coughing, bend your knees up, that helped me a LOT. If your standing, try leaning on a counter, wall eat and bend a little bit at the waist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2015, 12:06 AM

I found some pomegranate and honey ones made by Burt's Bees that I took to the hospital with me. Used them for about 3 days. Really nice...soothing. I found them at Target.
Unread 11-14-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
If you are sitting or lying down when you start coughing, bend your knees up, that helped me a LOT. If your standing, try leaning on a counter, wall eat and bend a little bit at the waist.
YES to this one. I second this wholeheartedly.

I suffer allergies and asthma, ended up needed a prescription, SO use your judgment on if you think the cough is going on too long or is interfering with sleep/waking hours etc! Your comfort and recovery is much more important than worrying if it is "nothing"!

(Sorry, it's the mom in me. *blush*)

THAT said, I found loads and loads of water, warm tea, and various halls did help with the dryness and soreness of my throat. OH, also gum. Oddly enough, I guess because it keeps your saliva flowing?

I seem to always have a "lump/phlegm" in my throat, unfortunately I don't have a good solution on that other than clearing your throat and spitting. GROSS, but it sort of helps?

And BRACE your belly. That needs to be stressed. I have no issues during my check up, even though I coughed my head off for 3 - 4 weeks, I think I owe that to being diligent about bracing my belly, even if it is just using your hands and pushing in. (Sometimes you can't grab that pillow fast enough!)

*gentle hugs*
Unread 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Re: 1 day post hysterectomy phlegm concerns - lozenges?

I had to resort to Mucinex. Mind you, other than my thyroid pills, I don't take anything, not even Tylenol, so this was a big "decision", lol, for me. I had to take something to break this stuff up.

The intubation can really play a number on us, and for me, it came with a very sore throat and a lot of mucus buildup. All this, at a time when our stomachs feel like we've done 1000 sit-ups and coughing is very painful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register