Ablation two weeks ago (May 2010) - still bleeding? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ablation two weeks ago (May 2010) - still bleeding? Ablation two weeks ago (May 2010) - still bleeding?

Unread 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Ablation two weeks ago (May 2010) - still bleeding?

HI, I had an ablation on May 26....I am still bleeding. I have talked to friends who had them and had little or no bleeding afterwards. Has anyone had an ablation and if so, did you experience weeks of bleeding afterwards? I am so frustrated and starting to get weak. I'm still tired also. Ablation was not Novasure but done with some kind of roller under general anesthesia. I have a follow-up appt scheduled with my doc on Friday but I'm wondering with others have gone through. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Re: Ablation two weeks ago - still bleeding?

Hi

I had a Novasure ablation done 5/09. I did have some light bleeding for at least a week, followed by a pinkish watery discharge. All in all everything kind of dried up within the first 4 weeks, then I had nothing till I got another period on July 4th (a moderate flow). After that it was just spotty periods requiring only a panty liner until March 2010 when my ablation failed.

How heavy is your bleeding? It won't hurt to give your a quick call before your follow-up on Friday to let them know what is going on.
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM

Pretty heavy. It was not bad for the first couple of days. Stopped for about 3 days. Then a gush of blood on the 3rd. then moderate to heavy from 3rd through 7th. Yesterday lighter but still kind of moderate. Like the middle days of a regular period when I was younger, before I started having the problems that lead to the ablation in the first place. I called the doc on Thursday and they said the gush I had on Thursday could have been built up blood. then they said maybe I was having a period? Here I am still bleeding. Called this morning at 9:30 am this morning, spoke to nurse. She said someone would call me back. It's 3 pm and no one has called me back yet. That is so frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Hi psharky,
i had an ablation done in 04, I had the same problem, but after a couple of months the bleeding did really slow done and I became pretty normal for a few years, it still woulnt hurt to make a call to your doc and let them know...

take care,
lifeiscool
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Really you had bleeding for a couple of months? I can't imagine bleeding for a couple of months straight. I think it will kill me, not to mention what it will do to my relationship with my husband.
Unread 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Since you are at the 4 week post ablation mark, it very well could be that you went right from the normal post ablation bleeding into your next cycle. It is my understanding that only 10% of ablations stop the menstrual cycle altogether.

My ablation was 5/14/09 and I had my next period on 7/4/09 and that first one was moderate with a day or so of kind of heavy flow. Then it got much much better.

Although mine eventually failed due to my fibroids, I absolutely do not regret having it done. I had been hemorrhaging so much and was so anemic that the ablation stopped things enough to get my blood counts back up before I eventually had my surgery.

I have spoken to others who had a period or two and then nothing. I hope yours is a great success. You have done the right thing by consulting your . They do not seem to be alarmed. You will feel better after you are checked this week tho!

Unread 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM

in 07, I stopped complettly! until 7/09

now I'm recovery from LAVH done on 6/01/10

Life will be mush better for me now. You too may have the same type of cituation happen to you? Best of luck - talk to your dr - soon..
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM

i had bleeding for about 4 weeks after my ablation last june and ended up with a bacterial infection which needed meds...
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:12 PM

Hi lj:

Here is a link to a website with info and a message board about ablation: http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/
I hope your doc has good news for you on Friday.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljcjkbn View Post
HI, I had an ablation on May 26....I am still bleeding. I have talked to friends who had them and had little or no bleeding afterwards. Has anyone had an ablation and if so, did you experience weeks of bleeding afterwards? I am so frustrated and starting to get weak. I'm still tired also. Ablation was not Novasure but done with some kind of roller under general anesthesia. I have a follow-up appt scheduled with my doc on Friday but I'm wondering with others have gone through. Thanks.
I understand your frustration. I had an ablation in March and I bled until my hysterectomy in May. My doctor told me it could take a 3 months for the bleeding to stop. I had horrible cramps everyday. I decided not to wait another 3 months to see if it got better because I was so weak and tired all the time. I felt better the evening after my hysterectomy (TVH) then I had in months. I am 3 weeks post-op and doing great.
Good luck Friday and make sure you let your doctor know how you feel.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register