Cervix and sex? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix and sex? Cervix and sex?

Unread 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Cervix and sex?

I am thinking that I will have the surgery. I did talk to my GYN yesterday and asked about keeping the cervix. He said it wasn't necessary and that it was a liability. His whole attitude is take it all, you don't need it. I want to keep my ovaries and my cervix. When I asked why someone would want to keep their cervix, he said because some women have an attachment to their cervix/uterus. I don't have an attachement, I am concerned about SEX! I have a very healthy sex life with my husband and would like to continue that. Also, I heard that you can have some problems with bladder, etc. if there is not a cervix. I understand that he will do the surgery the way I want, but he doesn't sound too thrilled about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Cervix and sex?

what is the reason you are having your surgery? if you feel strongly about keeping both (i did also), get a second opinion. i wouldnt consent to having anything healthy removed. removing your ovaries will put you into surgical menopause. some women dont have any problems after but some really do. do lots of research on keeping both and only do what you feel is best for you. this is a great website to find information about all of this. good luck
Unread 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Cervix and sex?

Hi Daphne:

I also talked to my doctor about keeping my cervix before the surgery, and she said the same, "you're not going to miss it." I let her take it because that way she could do the surgery vaginally, which is a much easier recovery that TAH. I have talked to several ladies that had their cervix removed and have not missed it. They've even said that their sex life has improved because there's no more pain/periods, etc. My doc explained that if you keep your cervix, you will probably still have periods, since the cervix has enough endometrium to still cycle and bleed. My friend recently had an LSH and kept her cervix, and knows this is true. She had her full period soon after surgery. I don't know why you are having the surgery, but I definitely didn't want to go through that. Now my friend has to have another surgery to have the cervix removed due to endometriosis, which still resides in her cervix. I'm only about 2 weeks post-op, but I don't think that missing my cervix is going to stop or impede my sex life in any way. I already feel more like having sex now than I ever did, I just can't yet.
From what I've read and heard from my Doc is that sex lives are either not changed, or improved by cervix removal, due to not having pain/periods etc, anymore. Also my Doc said that keeping the cervix causes other problems, because the cervical stump can move around since it won't be attached to the uterus anymore. Regarding the bladder....My Doc said that the uterus sits on top of the bladder, so getting rid of the uterus gives the bladder more room and there's nothing pushing the bladder down anymore.
I'm certainly not telling you what to do, I'm no doctor. However, I think it's a good idea to have your doctor explain the reasons why he thinks it's better to take the cervix as well. Get more information on the sex issue. The women I've talked to are just as pleased by sex without the cervix, even more so. These are just my thoughts to share. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Cervix and sex?

Hi daphne123!

If you feel strongly about keeping your cervix and you're a good candidate to keep it, by all means stand your ground and let your doctor know your wishes. I wasn't a candidate to keep mine due to a prolapsing uterus. I don't miss it at all, nor does my husband. Once I got my hormone imbalance worked out I was (and still am) able to function sexually, too. I'm over five years post-op and my bladder is right where it should be, so it hasn't been affected by the loss of my cervix.

Not everyone is going to have the same experience so it's important that you do your own research, get another medical opinion or two, know the risks and benefits of the hysterectomy alone or if it includes removing your cervix and ovaries or not and then decide what's best for you.

Good luck with your final decisions! If you do decide for sure you will have a hysterectomy, you'll want to post your questions and concerns over on the Pre-Op board to get the best support.

s
Unread 10-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Cervix and sex?

I had everything removed vaginally. I am 6 weeks post op and have been cleared for everything. As for sex. My dh says he doesn't notice any difference. I, however, do notice a difference... IT IS WAY BETTER...more sensitive and it doesn't hurt anymore. Best sex I have ever had.

GOOD LUCK
Unread 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Cervix and sex?

Hi Daphne123,

I think a 2nd opinion is a good idea.

I had a LSH and I kept my cervix. I was a good candidate to keep it since it was sturdy and I had normal pap smears for years. Sex is great in post-op.

You can get (2) schools of thinking on the cervix. My Dr. felt my cervix would help with future pelvic support and with sex. In my research, I read that many years ago...the cervix used to be automatically removed with the uterus during a hysterectomy...since there was no test for cervical cancer. Then...the Pap Smear came along and that gave Drs a possible choice if a woman had a healthy cervix. Also, my Dr. told me that cervical cancer occurs in 3% or less of woman so I felt that was good odds for me.

If you are thinking about keeping your cervix...you might ask your Dr. about cervix cauterization. If one or both ovaries and the cervix are retained, there can be a chance of a mini-period in post-op. In my case, I had my cervix cauterized during and I have not had any mini-periods.

In the end...do what is *best* for you. That is the most important thing.

Mary
Unread 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Cervix and sex?

Daphne123 - I echo alot of what everyone else has said. I think what you get removed depends on why you're having your hysterectomy. I'm having my uterus & ovaries removed for severe PMS. I've gotten FIVE opinions (i know, extreme, but this is important)! In my case, they all said to keep my cervix for support and for a btr. sex life. I completely understand why some of you said that your sexlife is btr. w/o your cervix, because you're w/o pain & I'm so happy for you! These success stories really thrill me. You should REALLY get a 2nd opinion. Take care.
Unread 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Cervix and sex?

I had EVERYTHING removed on June 6th. The first time I had sex it was so, so painful. Then I waited 3 more weeks and it was great. We took it slow and he was very gentle. Two weeks ago I went off premarin (was on it for 3.5 months). I wasn't sure how sex was going to be...I provided my OWN lubercation and I had multiple orgasms! I was thrilled and I kept talking about how proud I was of my only girlie part that is left! We laughed.

Everyone is different, I can only tell you how great I feel now!
Unread 10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Cervix and sex?

Lots of luck with your decision. I am scheduled for LAVH 12/13/07. I am struggling with the same decision, but my hysterectomy is due to large fibroids and heavy, irregular periods. I have been pap smear clear for 30 years, but could have a problem with the cervix flaring up again down the road. My super Dr. concerned there may be a problem surface again, and since I have a history of painful sex but not since I had a partnerectomy (ha), we want to insure that won't happen again. I too am concerned about great sex. Why risk the chance of having surgery, leaving the cervix, and then having to go back in again and have it removed because of a bad pap smear and painful sex, heavy bleeding again, etc. So, I am leaning toward having the cervix removed at the same time. Just food for thought, and best wishes with your preop decision and postop period!
Unread 10-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Cervix and sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepage
Lots of luck with your decision. I am scheduled for LAVH 12/13/07. I am struggling with the same decision, but my hysterectomy is due to large fibroids and heavy, irregular periods. I have been pap smear clear for 30 years, but could have a problem with the cervix flaring up again down the road. My super Dr. concerned there may be a problem surface again, and since I have a history of painful sex but not since I had a partnerectomy (ha), we want to insure that won't happen again. I too am concerned about great sex. Why risk the chance of having surgery, leaving the cervix, and then having to go back in again and have it removed because of a bad pap smear and painful sex, heavy bleeding again, etc. So, I am leaning toward having the cervix removed at the same time. I am keeping the ovaries. That is a definite! Just food for thought, and best wishes with your preop decision and postop period!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register