Scheduled TAH To keep or not to keep the cervix... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep or not to keep the cervix... To keep or not to keep the cervix...

Unread 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Re: To keep or not to keep the cervix...

Hi amistillme

I had my cervix removed. Because of some previous bad paps and some cell changes, my and I agreed that it was best to remove the cervix to prevent cervical cancer. If your doctor says that your cervix is healthy, then there's probably no reason to remove it.

That said, I also want to point out that if for some reason your cervix is removed, your sexual function will not necessarily be at risk. My remaining parts all work just fine

I'm glad you found us here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Hi Amistillme,
I had a TAH on March 9th and my doc removed my cervix...for me this was peace of mind not to have to worry about cervical cancer...I did not have a hysterectomy due to cancer...but because I had a 65 day period...then an endometrial ablation...good for 2 months and another 65 day period..aaaauuugghhhh!!! The determination was adenomyosis. I am here to tell you...for me....now 4 months post op....it has made NO difference when it comes to sex....its just as it was before...I hope this answers some questions for you....my biggest decision maker was not to have to worry about another female issue. I do still have my ovaries...although for about the last month and one half...I have started to have hot flashes...not at night...just during the day ....going to start taking estroven(over the counter) tomorrow. Good luck....I am really glad to have made the decision to have the hysterectomy as my period was running my life....not to mention making my love life non existent!!!!
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Aceprincess76 - I wondered about the support issue or sex differences (as mentioned in this thread) also. I personally know 4 women who have had hysterectomies, all had the cervix removed also (kept ovaries) and all say that they have had no problems and that sex was the same (if not better) afterward. I bleed and cramp from a pap smear so mine is "touchy" like that. All of the ladies I mentioned have had their surgeries from 2-10 years ago.
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM

I opted not to keep mine as I wanted it all out. I agree with everyone else though you have to decide. I did have a few abnormal paps, years apart, and that was part of the decision.
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM

One of the biggest plus's for me in keeping my cervix was I didn't have to deal with the healing of the vaginal cuff....no bleeding or discharge, didn't have to worry about stiches....none of it. Nothing was done in my vagina so nothing needed to heal. My doctor and I had an understanding...if she questioned anything she was to take it. I told her this was a one shot surgery. My cervix was healthy so I kept it. With some problems like endo and others...you just can't keep the cervix. I do have a mini period....or what I call the "mini-spot". It isn't a big deal at all....it's more like a wipe and go. Talk with your doctor and do your reseach....keeping the cervix was the right thing for me...it might not be what is right for you.
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM

I also have my TAH on Wednesday. I'm opting to have my cervix removed because while I've always had normal paps, thanks to being exposed to the HPV virus, I'm high-risk for cervical cancer. Since the doc is going to be in there anyway, I figure take it out. I hope to never have to deal with a prolapse or other issues I've heard of, but I'm more scared of cancer. As far as sex, well, my brain is my most important sexual organ.

As everyone mentioned previously, this is a highly personal decision. Good luck to whatever you decide to do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register