Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 and nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 and nervous Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 and nervous

Unread 08-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 and nervous

I don't know the meaning of the intials but I'm having a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 8/25 and feeling extremely nervous. Keeping my ovaries and cervix. I have never had surgery before and you hear stories of people feeling every cut and not being able to say anything.

Typical I'm on my period and started two days early but knowing its my last period is so relieving. Can't take my ibuprofen so it's going to be an uncomfortable and painful few days. Looking forward to it being all over and done with.

Do I really need to buy bigger panties? I wear the bikini briefs/briefs and not sure if this is ok

I also suffer from positional vertigo and hope the surgery doesn't trigger it.

Anyone else with BPPV and had surgery before?

Wondering also about what to bring to the hospital for one night. Guessing toiletries, nightwear (pj or nightie?), my phone for after, is it worth bringing a book? Can't imagine I'll be up to reading lol

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 and nervous

I'm 8/25 too - total abdominal hysterectomy. I'm "bringing" a bunch of Kindle books, but they're all rereads because I don't think I'll be able to concentrate.

I'm bringing antibacterial hand gel and earplugs and my phone and its charger and earbuds and earplugs because I sleep really badly even when I'm not stressed out about having major surgery.

Period: it's supposed to come this weekend but the surgeon put me on Aygestin so who knows. It's induced PMS symptoms I haven't had in years, like eating everything in sight.

This is also a big week upcoming for some other family members, and it makes me feel lonely/irritable/resentful when I hear them talk about how excited they are - like "Oh that's great for you; meanwhile I'll be imprisoned in a hospital bed."

Good luck whistlestop01! You won't be alone Tuesday morning.
Unread 08-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Being nervous at this stage is completely normal; I remember how nervous I was the last few days before my surgery. Regarding surgery type: based on your description, I'd say you're having an LSH, as I did. Regarding your fear of waking up during surgery: that's extremely rare; your anaesthesiologist would have determined the correct dosage at your pre-op screening, and he will be monitoring you closely to make sure everything's okay. Regarding underwear: I was okay with white bikinis, because they didn't bother my incisions, and I realized that I no longer had to worry about my period ruining them. Regarding what to bring with you: along with the earplugs, bring an eye shade, throat lozenges for soreness from the breathing tube, and ginger candies for post-op nausea. Best wishes for your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2015, 01:12 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/25 and nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlestop01 View Post
I don't know the meaning of the intials but I'm having a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 8/25 and feeling extremely nervous. Keeping my ovaries and cervix. I have never had surgery before and you hear stories of people feeling every cut and not being able to say anything.

Typical I'm on my period and started two days early but knowing its my last period is so relieving. Can't take my ibuprofen so it's going to be an uncomfortable and painful few days. Looking forward to it being all over and done with.

Do I really need to buy bigger panties? I wear the bikini briefs/briefs and not sure if this is ok

I also suffer from positional vertigo and hope the surgery doesn't trigger it.

Anyone else with BPPV and had surgery before?

Wondering also about what to bring to the hospital for one night. Guessing toiletries, nightwear (pj or nightie?), my phone for after, is it worth bringing a book? Can't imagine I'll be up to reading lol

Thanks
Hi Whistlestop,
I had also heard stories of people feeling surgery. But, knowing that it is extremely rare, I did my best not to focus on that. It really is extremely rare and truly very unlikely to happen.

I'll tell you how surgery went for me, and maybe that will help? This was also my first surgery. After they got me all prepped and a parade of people came around to introduce themselves and/or do whatever prep they needed to do, they got ready to wheel me into surgery. I was told that they'd give me something to relax me and then that I'd be awake in the surgery room while they all all stepped back for a time-out to make sure they were all ready to do the correct things. Well, they gave me that relaxing medicine through my IV, and I think I saw the surgery room very briefly, but then the next thing I knew, I woke up to my spouse and kid smiling down at me and surgery was done. I was very dizzy when I woke up, so I managed to utter over and over "I'm dizzy... very dizzy". They gave me something for that, and then the next thing I knew, I was in my room. So overall, I was out cold for most of it and you will be too. That's really the easy part, so don't sweat it.

I don't know anything about your vertigo, but I'd recommend that you tell your surgeon, doctor and anesthesiologist about it, so they can take proper steps to alleviate it.

As or what to bring, you probably won't be awake enough to read. I just stayed in the hospital gown as changing would have taken more effort than I was willing or able to put out; I had a full incision and you may be more able to change than I was. Other people do use their own nighties, though. The most valuable thing I took with me was a sleeping mask. I dozed with that on throughout the day. I also brought ear plugs but didn't need then because I had a private room. If I had to share a room, I would have needed to use them, I'm sure. I used my cell phone a little to communicate and check Facebook. But not much.

I would recommend getting bigger panties, "granny panties" as they say.

You'll do fine. Good luck!
Unread 08-22-2015, 04:42 PM

Hi Whistlestop01,

I also had a LSH.

If I can give you a few suggestions for when you get home. I liked wearing light sweat type pants with a tie waistline. Looser around the middle than elastic. Also..slip on shoes worked great. No shoe laces to deal with. And keep a chair with arms by your bed. It helped me get in and out of bed the first few days. And keep a small pillow on your TV couch. I kept it on my stomach when my cat jumped up and wanted a scratch. Protects a tender tummy area.

Best wishes,

Historylady

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register