50+ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM
50+

Is it just me or are there a lot of younger women having hysterectomies? I am really surprised...anyway this post is for us 50 and over and I would like to know how you dealt/deal with recovery. I'm not doing 1/2 as well as some of the others and wanted to search and see what I may be doing wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
50+

I was 60, almost 61, when I had mine. I am so surprised at how well I am doing. Of course it is just me and I don't have to worry about doing things for other people and if I don't want to do something I don't. I have been taking it real easy. The house doesn't look real great, but I'll have time later to get it back in shape. I am starting now on things I am able to do now. You aren't that far out from your surgery so don't rush it. The first couple of weeks are the roughest. Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
62 and doing well

I had my Da Vinci on July 1, walking day of surgery, some discomfort in lower abdomen but otherwise I am doing well.
I was in good physical shape prior to surgery so I think that helps a lot.

Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
50+

I am 57 and it took a good 8 weeks before I left more like my "normal" self. However, I was in no pain before the surgery, and I think that being in pain before the surgery would have made for a longer recovery.

I am 16 weeks post op and still have times when I am uncomfortable, and my stamina is not back to where it used to be. I was feeling really good over the holiday weekend and did way too much yardwork and am paying for it now.

My doctor released me without restrictions two weeks post op and I went back to work the next day, working half days at first, since no one does my job when I am not there. I should have stayed home another week.

Please take good care of yourself and do not think you are doing anything wrong because it seems to take you longer to heal. I had my appendix out laproscopically two years ago and was doing great one week later. But as my pharmacist sister reminds me, this surgery was very extensive and a lot more was taken out than one little appendix!
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
50+

I am also 54, and today I am 5 weeks out. It seems like the first 3 weeks I had alot of ups and downs and felt like I would never get better. Finally, at the beginning of week 4 I really started perking up. I have been trying to eat healthy, drink 6-8 glasses of water daily and walk around a little bit for exercise. I have learned not to push myself and when I get tired to stop and rest. I still take 1-2 naps a day (for about an hour each), and before my surgery I was not a nap person at all. So my body still needs that extra rest. You are barely out of surgery, so give yourself time. I know I wanted to feel great right away, but that day is coming and for now just let your body rest, it has been through a big ordeal. Wishing you well.
Unread 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
50+

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your body has been through alot and needs plenty of rest. Don't push yourself. Listen to your body and you will be fine. I'm doing so much better at 7 weeks out then at 3 weeks. I felt like I had a disagreement with a tractor trailer. I didn't win that discussion either. Be good to yourself, you deserve it.
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
50+

You will never know what these replies mean to me…to know that what I am feeling is normal for my age will make recovery perhaps a little more able to tolerate. I do hurt…feels kind of raw inside if that makes any sense. I suppose where I hurt for so many months leading up to my surgery I I thought the surgery would be easier..it isn’t and I have probably made things worse for myself in that respect but your experiences are encouraging and brings me back to reality.. I thank God for all of you!
Unread 07-10-2008, 07:57 PM
50+

Jellybean, I used to feel all raw inside after each menstrual period. After this surgery, I felt kind of hollow inside - which is kind of funny since my uterus was classified as "small" by the pathologist and I had only a couple of polyps and small fibroids.

I am glad to know that we were able to be of help! I had good days and bad days but in pretty short order, the good days started to outnumber the bad days, and each good day got a little better than the one before. I hope the same for you.
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:58 PM
50+

I had mine at 51 and I would say the last two weeks I have really felt like myself. It really does take a long time to recover. You just had your surgery a little over week ago so be sure you are resting! Yes, like you I have been so surprised at the number of young woman who have to have this surgery.
Unread 07-11-2008, 02:17 AM
50+

I am 54 and a little past 5 months out... For the most part I feel good now, but did a lot over the holiday and I am feeling it.. Went tubing on the lake with my sister... The doc said that was okay at this point, but there are some tweaks of pain ... just take it slowly.. The key is to listen to your body. If you need a nap , take it... You will get restless to do something, but don't... We have all tried and paid for it... Even though we get released to do other things, DO WHAT YOU CAN... Dont' judge your progression by what others can do... we all heal differently.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register