My doctor has cleared me for sex already? I'm afraid! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My doctor has cleared me for sex already? I'm afraid! My doctor has cleared me for sex already? I'm afraid!

Unread 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
My doctor cleared me for sex...

I had my 4 wk checkup today and my doc (a man) said it would be fine for me to have IC with my husband. He told me in the next breath that if I wanted to tell my hubby 6 wks he would let that be my decision. Thank goodness my husband wasn't with me today. He's come to a couple of my appointments and if he had heard it was O.K. I would feel a bit pressured. I honestly think 4 wks is too soon.

Prior to our discussion regarding IC I was describing my rt lower groin pain and tenderness. He said everything looked great so I guess that's it. 6 weeks is early enough and if I'm painfree.

Sexual activity is "O.K" now but when I asked if I could resume my gym membership to use the treadmill to walk (alot of hills in my area) he told me nov 1st would be better. I don't get it.

Healing takes time. Don't rush it. One's partner should respect when you are totally ready.

Jan...52
TAH/BSO,large fibroids, diffuse adenomyosis ovarian cyst
left, TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM
My doctor has cleared me for sex already? I'm afraid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisewol
just a though, and maybe a naughty one but...... were both your Drs men? sympathy etc
I just had to jump in here because of this question.
I had my LSH/BSO over a year ago. I was told no driving, no walking and no sex for 6 weeks. I was driving at 1 week as I had to see my gyn due to anxiety/hormone issues, walking 2nd day home at least a mile (due to anxiety). I have to tell you that I walked 8 miles a day before my surgery.
But at each visit my gyn (female) said no sex. She did not even do internal exams at 2nd or 4 week. Even when I got a yeast infection (week 3) she did not check. Her explaination each time was nothing vaginal for 6 weeks as you need time for everything to heal.
Unread 10-02-2008, 01:28 AM

My doc's female and she said no sex for 6 weeks post op. I was still nervous so even went a few days beyond that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2008, 08:07 AM

I should say at this point that my Dr is a Man and has been fantastic would recommend him to anyone, especially seeing as I only met him forthe 1st time about 6 weeks prior to surgery. At my 2 weeks check up he was adamant NO SEX till after 6 week check. My DH was with me and he must had refered to it 3 times and kept looking at DH ! He was mortified as he is a real gentleman and I dont want to or cant it is NEVER a problem. I am from the but live here now and I am so glad I waited till living here to have the surgery Dr's are soooo much nicer, maybe as they get paid more !!!!
Unread 10-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Just because the doctor clears you for sex (or any other activity) at a certain point doesn't require you to start then. If it doesn't feel right for you, don't do it yet!

My original discharge instructions said no sex for 6 weeks. I had my post-op at 8 days after my LSH (earlier than my doc usually does follow-up appointments, but it was a 'special' case). At that appointment, he said to wait another 4 weeks, which would put me at 5 weeks post-op. I'm not sure if he realized he was making it a week earlier than I was originally told, or if he forgot how recent my surgery was. I did chuckle because it wasn't even something I asked about, he just mentioned it (maybe it's the "guy thing". I had a list of other activities that I inquired about, but sex wasn't one of them. Anyway, I didn't even ask for clarificaiton since I don't plan on anything even by 6 weeks.

Oh, and on the note of male doctors being more sympathetic. Three years ago I had inguinal hernia repair--similar recovery time and restrictions to hysterectomy as I've discovered. Anyway, I had a male surgeon with a great sense of humor. At my 2-week post-op appointment he told me to wait until 6 weeks before resuming sex...but with a very sly grin he told me I could tell my husband that the doc said 6 MONTHS.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register