Scheduled TAH Ted stockings?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ted stockings?? Ted stockings??

Unread 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Ted stockings??

Hiya ladies,

I was just informed if I require ted stockings they will not be given or supplied at the facility where I am having my surgery. My question is do I buy a pair and bring them with me.....how badly will I need them?? I have horrible circulation due to my spinal fusion so I find it surprising they won't supply them. This hospital was just built, very high tech,yet they don't have or give Teds??? I live in Canada and these items are usually supplied but I guess they are making cutbacks of sorts....should I buy a pair?? or can I pass?? Thanks in advance for stopping by
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Re: Ted stockings??

Hey lisalisa,

I also require the stockings. It was written it drs orders and it would be a surgery deal breaker if I did not have them. At my preop appt I was measured for them and they will be there for me on op day. I'm am also in Ontario and OHIP does not cover them I will be charged $25. I would contact your dr and find out how u are to get them. But I would assume if your told to get them you dr requires them

Gentle hugs
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Good advice,

I'd ask your Dr. At my hospital, they had the massager leggings that pump air in and massage your legs while you are in bed. Since your hospital is new this my be the standard.

You may need them when you get home since you may be more incapacitated than the average woman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONgurl View Post
Hey lisalisa,

I also require the stockings. It was written it drs orders and it would be a surgery deal breaker if I did not have them. At my preop appt I was measured for them and they will be there for me on op day. I'm am also in Ontario and OHIP does not cover them I will be charged $25. I would contact your dr and find out how u are to get them. But I would assume if your told to get them you dr requires them

Gentle hugs
He didn't say if I needed them or not, I asked if I needed them...his answer was they are not supplied but I could buy a pair. He does give blood thinner needles to the belly before and after surgery for my stay at the castle..I will be admitted 3-5 days for my surgery so I am assuming he figures the needles will be enough?? but not sure...and then I don't wanna leave it last minute because if I leave it until I go to pre op and then ask they may not measure me and order any?? maybe I should call his office and ask?? or go to the pharmacy and see if they can order me a pair but you said you had to be measured so I don't know if I will get the size right?? I'm really confused now what to do??
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairyfaye View Post
Good advice,

I'd ask your Dr. At my hospital, they had the massager leggings that pump air in and massage your legs while you are in bed. Since your hospital is new this my be the standard.

You may need them when you get home since you may be more incapacitated than the average woman.
Yes and he said they don't have the automatic massagers which also surprised me. I am thinking the same thing...I think if I don't have them I could have a problem thanks for commenting
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:33 AM

I had automatic massager on continually for first 24 hours, then at night for next couple of nights.

I also wore TEDs for my entire hospital stay.

If you can get them then I would
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad View Post
I had automatic massager on continually for first 24 hours, then at night for next couple of nights.

I also wore TEDs for my entire hospital stay.

If you can get them then I would
Thanks I am going to contact my surgeon I think and ask if I can be measured for them at pre op and have them ordered for day of surgery...they can send me the bill, if not I will have to find out how or where I can buy them and bring them along.
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM

I was planning a trip to London in 2007 and my primary care doc recommended I get a pair for the long flights. He gave me a prescription form and I took it to a medical supply store. They measure you and then order the size that is needed. I would hope that they would put the stockings on you prior to surgery because they are not easy to put on yourself. I had the leg massagers on my legs after my surgery so didn't need the TEDS.
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Ted stockings??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalisa333 View Post
He didn't say if I needed them or not, I asked if I needed them...his answer was they are not supplied but I could buy a pair. He does give blood thinner needles to the belly before and after surgery for my stay at the castle..I will be admitted 3-5 days for my surgery so I am assuming he figures the needles will be enough?? but not sure...and then I don't wanna leave it last minute because if I leave it until I go to pre op and then ask they may not measure me and order any?? maybe I should call his office and ask?? or go to the pharmacy and see if they can order me a pair but you said you had to be measured so I don't know if I will get the size right?? I'm really confused now what to do??
I would just call your doctor and and ask! I believe that you would have to find a medical supply store to get them outside the hospital and you should be measured to ensure proper fit.
Now I should say that the preop nurse was actually a little surprise that my dr ordered them since I'm young have no history or risk factors for clotts. My dr has also ordered needles while at the hospital!
Just so you can rest easy I would give the dr a call and clarify what he/she is thinking!
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway Lynn View Post
I was planning a trip to London in 2007 and my primary care doc recommended I get a pair for the long flights. He gave me a prescription form and I took it to a medical supply store. They measure you and then order the size that is needed. I would hope that they would put the stockings on you prior to surgery because they are not easy to put on yourself. I had the leg massagers on my legs after my surgery so didn't need the TEDS.
Thanks and good to know...I will ask if I need a script or if I get measured for them at pre op, they have the teds at the hospital, they just don't supply them...thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register