feeling worse not better | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling worse not better feeling worse not better

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM
feeling worse not better

I'm almost one week post hysterectomy, I thought I was turning a corner but upon waking this morning I feel if anything about three steps back. What hurts the worst is my right incision where they removed my appendix and other organs. I can barely stand any pressure, I had to take pain meds today to even get my head around the pain. My doc hasn't returned my callso I'm a bit lost till I hear from him. I feel just really blah.

Anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Re: feeling worse not better

Get some rest, take your prescribed pain meds on time, and go to the ER if dr does not help. I hope you feel better soon.

I felt very bad for the first and second week. At one point I was screaming and crying at my dr on the phone until my husband gently took it away and explained I was in terrible unrelenting pain. She told me to go to the ER to get checked out, so hubby scooped me up and took me. Week 3 was much better!
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM
feeling worse not better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActIII View Post
Get some rest, take your prescribed pain meds on time, and go to the ER if dr does not help. I hope you feel better soon.

I felt very bad for the first and second week. At one point I was screaming and crying at my dr on the phone until my husband gently took it away and explained I was in terrible unrelenting pain. She told me to go to the ER to get checked out, so hubby scooped me up and took me. Week 3 was much better!
I've been resting all day and our ER is useless unless you are a high ranking officers wife. I'm not kidding, I was treated like a drug addict until my husbands colonel's wife came up there, suddenly I was treated like an actual person. I had my surgery done two hours away and my regular doctor has yet to get the surgery report.

I'll try to take it easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM

I am glad you went to the ER. However feeling bad after a week or so is not uncommon. I attribute that to the "euphoria" of surviving the surgery. We dread the days leading up to it, we dread going to the castle, we dread the IVs and all the other horrid little things that need to be done, we dread the operating room and then boom, it is all done and we are on the other side. We are ecstatic that usually it wasn't as bad as we expected and emotionally we celebrate that. Then reality sets in. This recovery is long and it is slow so you need to really listen to your body and let it heal. There is a saying around here that we use often: "You only have one chance to heal and this is it!" Please take this time to do this right. Eat well, drink lots of water, take your stool softeners if prescribed, walk as your body will let you (if you get heaviness at the bottom of your tummy, it means time to go horizontal) and rest a lot.

Happy healing!

PS. One more thing. Don't forget to check out our hysterectomy checkpoints so that you know what to expect from week to week. Here is the link.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM

I hope you feel better soon. Hysterectomy recovery is very much one step forward, two steps back. Just when you feel like you can make dinner and do a couple things around the house, bam! You're back to jammies and the couch. Try to be patient. It helped me to think in terms of weeks rather than days. I think Danni has made a brilliant observation. After surgery I was pleasantly surprised I didn't feel too bad. I had pain, but then I expected that. But then week 3 and 4 and 5 came along and I still could hardly do anything. My recovery was much longer than I expected. This time is All About You. Each day is a new day and you will just see what you're able to do that day. Patience is a virtue... And we are here for you whenever you need us!
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM
feeling worse not better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
I am glad you went to the ER. However feeling bad after a week or so is not uncommon. I attribute that to the "euphoria" of surviving the surgery. We dread the days leading up to it, we dread going to the castle, we dread the IVs and all the other horrid little things that need to be done, we dread the operating room and then boom, it is all done and we are on the other side. We are ecstatic that usually it wasn't as bad as we expected and emotionally we celebrate that. Then reality sets in. This recovery is long and it is slow so you need to really listen to your body and let it heal. There is a saying around here that we use often: "You only have one chance to heal and this is it!" Please take this time to do this right. Eat well, drink lots of water, take your stool softeners if prescribed, walk as your body will let you (if you get heaviness at the bottom of your tummy, it means time to go horizontal) and rest a lot.

Happy healing!

PS. One more thing. Don't forget to check out our hysterectomy checkpoints so that you know what to expect from week to week. Here is the link.
No, I didn't go. I was explaining how it is here and why i don't like to go. It's our only option though as military. Well, my husband is military I am just a spouse.

He is here with me for one more week then I'm on my own again.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM

I would agree that at one week you should not be overly concerned. Some heal sooner than others but your body is going to take time.
Read the articles here, take some time to read others posts. You will see its quite normal to feel how you are feeling. I'm only just entering week three and have had horrible pains today. A couple days ago I was feeling better. I didn't stress a lot as I head read many posts. Its like free education!
Relax, rest, do your breathing exercises and take your pain meds. Drink plenty of water and just let your body heal.
Hugs
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Sorry, I guess I didn't read well. However, if you do feel worse tomorrow, call your doctor.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Everyones experience is different but it is good to report and new or different pain, bleeding, and fever. I hope your doctor gets back to you soon so you are able to get some relief. It isn't completely abnormal to have a bad day following really good days, I think its our bodies way of saying to slow down and heal. I hope you feel better soon Sending you gentle hugs
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Thank you ladies, part of the issue is the pain meds aren't helping. He gave me vicodin for one day then a medicine called Tramadol plus 800mg Motrin. I have fibromyalgia and my body is flaring badly in response to surgery, so all my pain is very much intensified. The vicodin barely worked the first two days, I could barely get out of bed. Now the Tramadol is nothing. I feel and look like I've been run over. The Motrin helps more than the "pain med". I usually take tylenol with codeine on a regular basis and I'd asked if I could just stay with that, they assured me that their meds were much much stronger. So I told my rheumatologist not to refil. I'm wishing I.had T3 is very effective for me with pain.

I know I sound like some druggie but its taken six years to find a combo of medicine that works

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register