Scheduled TAH Upcoming TAH hysterectomy. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming TAH hysterectomy. Upcoming TAH hysterectomy.

Unread 08-29-2014, 12:45 AM
Upcoming TAH hysterectomy.

Hi all. I have my surgery scheduled for the 29th September (thankfully it seems like they've rushed me through). I'm nervous about the procedure, but mainly afterwards really. The tips I've come across to aid recovery have been brilliant. I think I'm more worried how I'll feel within myself. This operation has been a long time coming. Years of Endemetriosis & now fibroids, I certainly won't miss it, my family is complete
Any advice, do's/don'ts, try this etc, I'm all ears
Thanks again everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Re: Upcoming TAH hysterectomy.

Glad you finally got it scheduled, you will feel so much better! I also had TAH. Woke up after surgery feeling good enough to be bored within an hour and jumping at the chance later that day to finally get out of bed. I was surprisingly pain free. They had me on a clear liquid duet, but told me if I could tolerate ginger ale and crackers I could eat normal food. I did and was fine. In the morning they woke me at 5 am for a blood draw, and then I got showered, dressed in my own clothes, ordered breakfast and then paced the halls til they released me. I felt pretty good from there on out. Never needed any pain meds, the only time it hurt was when I coughed. My dr wasn't too restrictive, I was able to resume many normal activities right away, allowed to drive at one week. Good luck!
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Like Coughy I had a pretty good experience too. I was a wreck on and off before, cooked, nested, researched, cleaned, exercised, finally took a short trip away from it all with family the week before. By the time I had surgery I was tired but prepared with a stockpile of "supplies" I might need and a few weeks meals in the freezer.

I woke after surgery and after a few hours was SOOO hungry. They wouldn't give me solid food for a few hours so I wouldn't get sick, but when I got that Jello it was so good. Went home the next morning. Had soft foods pre bought at home.

Was glad someone suggested to "pack" undies and home pj's or clothes up high since I couldn't bend to the lower drawers. (Speaking of which either get some of the hospital stretchy throwaways, or some larger size granny panties. Ugh binding undies do not feel good) Had plenty of fiber foods and juices, paper goods, and meals were frozen in foil pans so the two dear men in my life had as little shopping or clean up as possible! ;o}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Upcoming TAH hysterectomy.

I hear you! I wondered how I would feel after my LAVH too. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. On the contrary, I feel new and improved :-)

I just posted a tip on pre-op massage in the hints thread. (Message me if you can't find it.) My other tip is to be ready to treat constipation if that has ever been an issue for you. It has been pretty much my only issue since my surgery three days ago. Instead of messing around and suffering when I noticed that things weren't running smoothly, I went right to the pharmacy and bought stool softener pills and suppositories. I used a suppository that same night to give quick relief and swallowed a slower-acting pill to deliver relief the next day. Also, I didn't take guesses. I went directly to the pharmacist and requested guidance and gave the reason for my constipation. Good thing too, because the pills she gave me were behind the counter. Had I just guessed on my own, I may have chosen something less effective on the shelf.

Apart from that, everything has been great. Loose yoga pants and relaxing short walks are helping me feel good. Oh, and my heating pad has been nice for the light cramping I've had occasionally. The pain has been only about 20% of what I imagined it would be, and I'm a total wuss when it comes to abdominal pain! :-)

Hugs and best of luck!
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the tips ladies
I'm planning on getting the house gleaming (less for the family to do & no temptation for me to start cleaning), getting meals prepared etc. Planning on stocking up on heat pads, plus peppermint tea as I heard not only is it good for digestion but also good for healing. plus getting stocked up on vitamins etc. I'm just looking forward to the fact that technically, I've only got one more period left, the bane of my life for far too many years
Thanks again girls, will keep you posted
x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register