Terrible gas pains | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Terrible gas pains Terrible gas pains

Unread 06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Terrible gas pains

I had a TAH & appendectomy 5/30. I get terrible gas pains
almost daily which I never had pre-op. Its almost as intense as labor pains. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Terrible gas pains

I had mine 5/31 and I'm going thru the same thing. I don't have any suggestions as I'm wondering what to do to alleviate these gas pains myself.
Maybe someone will come one with some advice for us. In the meantime, here's a (((HUG)))
Unread 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Terrible gas pains

I found walking was about the only thing that helped at all, sometimes they were so bad I would get nauseated and throw up which didn't help either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Terrible gas pains

I had those gas pains to and peppermint tea works great to help with that. I also drank warm tea, just the regular kind and added some suger to it. Walking helps also. Hope this helps. Take care.
Unread 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Terrible gas pains

Hi, the GOOD news is that your bowels are moving and working again after gen anethesia.

The BAD news is that it hurts like the dickens. I'm 2 weeks 3 days post op of my LAVH/BSO, and the gas was the worst part of the receovery.

Walking and lots lots lots of water helps. Have you had a bowel movement yet? That usually is the first thing that will help stop the pain. If not, call you DR to see if it's ok to take GasX of Phazhyme for the gas; I'm saying to ask since sometimes the gas relievers can cause more constipation post-op.

I found laying my left side, or as crazy as this sounds, on knees and elbows with your rump in the air. Air/Gas rises, and it helps to get things moving in the right ... ugh...direction.

One reminder, check your temperature, and make sure you no fever. If you have a fever over 101 degrees, it might not be gas, and you should call your DR right away.

I hope this helps. I really feel for ya! Take care and try to keep walking!
Unread 06-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Terrible gas pains

I have the worst gas pains, i know what you mean, it is like labor or something. I find when i lay down it is worse. It feels like my stomach is filling up with air, then little bubbles bursting inside and it takes quite awhile to release all of it. I dont know how long this will last. Mine is the worse at night when i lay in bed. if you find an answer to help you, please share!!
Unread 06-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Terrible gas pains

I have those pains also, and I have also found that walking seems to help them. Also, I have used maximum strength GASX which has been very helpful since I have been home. Good luck to you.
Echo
Unread 06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Terrible gas pains

My gas pains felt like I was being stabbed with a knife. So glad when that finally passed.
Unread 06-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Terrible gas pains

I am having incredible gas pain 6 days post op. No matter the Gas X I take, the gas comes back and even tho I've had bowel movements, I am now running fever since yesterday, mostly low grade 99+, but last night 101.. Calling the surgeon, but cant understand this gas. I was only eating soup, crackers, tea, the first several days, since I could NOT have ANY pain meds due to the fact that I am totally allergic to all of the opioids. Tylenol is the only thing I've taken. Maybe the Tylenol was keeping the fever away, or causing this pain??. I have no bleeding, the incisions are healing. ANY ideas on what this could be? The pain is in my STOMACH area, and upper right and left quadrants, NOT where the organs were removed. The gas is both in my colon and sides of my upper stomach. I wasnt warned of post op complications other than fever, bleeding and discharge and fever.

Any suggestions??
Unread 06-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Terrible gas pains

On the nurses' advice in the castle, I rocked (in a rocker). This got my gas FINALLY moving to the outside.

Almost 3 weeks out, I still have the occasional gas pains. Remember, everything has been disturbed - it's gonna take a while for things to calm down. Knowing that doesn't lessen the pain, of course.

Hang in there, ladies - I actually had energy yesterday! You WILL return to normal!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register