More cancer?! IDK what to think | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

More cancer?! IDK what to think More cancer?! IDK what to think

Unread 01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
More cancer?! IDK what to think

Hi Ladies... I am scared to death about this and I dont know what to think... I am just at 7 weeks post surgery for cervical cancer and I just found a lump in my breast... which i am sure was never there before... I haven't seen or talked to my dr yet and I was wondering if anyone knew if I have a greater chance of this lump being cancerous since I had cervical cancer and the drs just didn't realize it had spread? The lump is hard and pea size, and I am really scared.. I thought I was handeling the hysterectomy well, but now that this has come up, I guess I just don't know if I can go through it all again and be as strong... I'm scared that this will be it.. like if it is cancer then I feel like this cancer is out to kill me... I have two little girls too and I am just so scared about all this.. I know it is premature as I haven't even talked to the dr yet, but honestly, I am scared to talk to them, because then I'll know for sure.. and I don't know how to deal if it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Oh my...take a deep breath....when will you see the doc? I feel for you with your concerns. I'm sorry this is happening now. I personally had a sudden lump just show up out of the blue and it was fluid filled and completely benign. Sometimes that is it especially when it "pops" up like that. All that said, please get it checked out soon and keep us posted. The techs at the imaging center always reiterate that the lumps we find are statistically rarely cancer. All the best to you!
Unread 01-28-2009, 04:04 PM

As a breast cancer survivor, the first thing I can tell you is, breathe~! My doctors told me that 80% of all breast lumps are benign. There are many other things that cause lumps besides breast cancer, cysts, fibrocystic disease, etc. A mammogram, and possibly an ultrasound, will give you more information, and a biopsy will definitely tell you what it is. Most doctors start with mammogram and ultrasound, I think.

I am not a doctor, and I don't know if there is any link between cervical cancer and breast cancer. That being said, however, I've participated in several breast cancer support web sites, and have not heard of any link in the 5.5 years I've been doing that. So I don't think that cervical cancer spreads to the breast, nor the other way around, but I suggest you contact your doctor for your peace of mind, and to find out what is going on. Then you will have answers and hopefully will get good news.

If you have dealt with hysterectomy, you can deal with anything that comes your way. I had a lump about the size of a garbanzo bean that was early breast cancer. The surgeon did a lumpectomy, and my breast looks pretty much the same, except for a scar that now looks like a cat scratch.... just a little white line. Hopefully that will ease your mind about how you might look if you have the lump removed. I decided to do that for my peace of mind rather than a needle biopsy, because I didn't want to worry about a lump even if it were benign. It was a good decision for me. Many other women have a needle biopsy, and if the lump is benign, leave it. It's a personal decision.

So try to breathe. Call the doctor. Not knowing is he** and you don't want to stay there, or you wouldn't have posted about this. The sooner you get answers, the better you will feel. The time where you are in limbo is the worst, I think. So call your doctor, and get it checked out. Hopefully you are in the 80% benign group, and this will just be a little bump in the road. Warm hugs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Thank you... it sucks so much for us to be in these situations... why can't we just be "normal". It keeps me awake at night.
Unread 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM

Please get to your dr. to have this checked out. Most lumps are benign... something like 80%.

There is NO link between cervical cancer and breast cancer. I know because I went through this myself. I had cervical carcinoma in situ (not full blown cervical cancer, but almost there) back in 2000. Then in 2005 I had a routine mammogram. It showed a suspicious "mass". I hate that term..."mass". Anyway, sonogram couldn't rule out cancer so I had a stereotactic biopsy. They removed the entire mass this way. I was awake and it was completely painless. I kept asking my gyno, breast surgeon, and radiologist about any connection between cervical cancer and breast cancer, and the answer was always NO, NO, NO.

My mass turned out to be a fibroadenoma... a benign tumor.

CC
Unread 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Thank you CC, that makes me feel much better about it not being related... eases my mind a little...
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Hey sister, I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through. I had my TAH/BSO on Dec 10. On Jan 10 I had a breast cancer scare also. We started out with mammogram and from there had magnification and compression views and a sonogram. After several AGONIZING days the results came in as probably benign and need to have a recheck in 6 months. I think it is perfectly normal to freak out when you find a lump. Fear of the unknown is the worst! I know saying don't worry is silly but be strong. The odds are in your favor that its not malignant. Be sure to post what you find out.
Unread 01-29-2009, 01:13 PM

I have had problems with cysts in my breasts for about 10 years and they always show up as a lump.

I am so used to going to my Dr for a referral to the breast clinic, then a mammogram, then an ultrasound, then a needle aspiration before the lecture from the consultant that all breast lumps need to be checked out and to come back if I have another lump in the future.

So far I have had 5 and they all turned out to be cysts but I worry each and every time I have to go through the loop. And you will too. BUT the relief finding out that it is only a cyst is amazing!

So get yourself to the Dr and get your mind put at ease soonest :-)
Unread 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM

I would think that it might also be hormonal, since you just had a hyster....but its best if you have it checked out once and for all and be sure....praying for you....have faith that it will turn out to be nothing....
Unread 01-30-2009, 11:25 AM

I just had a hysterectomy with suspected ovarian cancer. Fortunately, they found no cancer, but I certainly know your fear. Believe me, the waiting and not knowing is the worst part. I only shared my cancer possibility with my DH, so it was hard trying to hide my fear from the rest of the family and friends. I don't think I'll ever be the same person, and for the first time in my life, I do self breast exams daily. Your fear is a normal reaction, but you know "not knowing" is the worst thing you can do for yourself.....so get to the dr. and get this problem solved and give yourself peace of mind so you can get back to living life!!! I hope the best for you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register