What do I bring to the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I bring to the hospital? What do I bring to the hospital?

Unread 03-04-2004, 05:28 PM
What do I bring to the hospital?

I'm having a TAH on March 23rd 2004 so loose pants are forefront on my mind but if anyone has put together a list of items that I should bring, I'd appreciate seeing it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 07:37 PM

Only had LAVH, but I took hairbrush, chapstick and clean panties. Wish I had taken slippers for walking the hallways.
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:35 PM

I took hair brush, tooth brush etc..., but really i didn't use anything. you will be on meds and in bed for the most part. maybe take some soaks and slippers for walking. once you start walking you'll be going home shortly. I would just make sure you shower and wash your hair before you go. I have really curly hair so I straightned it the day of so I would get to fussy looking and scare everyone. I wore big clothes in so I wouldn't have a bunch of stuff laying around that could get lost. Don't forget to take glasses if you wear contacts and solution.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2004, 08:54 PM

Take a tummy pillow with you or, better yet, ahead of time, put it in the car you're riding home in. I used mine as a cushion between my belly and the seatbelt. Plus, it's helpful at home to press against your abdomen if you sneeze or cough. It was a small plain decorative type couch pillow.

If you take slippers, make sure they have rubber bottoms. You sure don't want to go skidding around on the linoleum.

I never took much in the way of personal items only being the castle for one day. Left my contacts at home & just wore my glasses. No earrings & left wedding ring at home, too.
Unread 03-06-2004, 07:31 AM

Just wanted to share a little deal i found...first of all i can never find slippers that i like, and normally when i do they are expensive but I found the best slippers at the dollar general store...they are awesome, and were $4...so for those of us who are strapped for cash, these are the best!! I bought me a pair for my castle visit next week
Unread 03-06-2004, 08:23 AM
What to take to hospital

I had a TAH on Feb 16th. I took a bag with everything, sweatpants to go home in, clean undies, a new nightie, and a nice robe. I have to say the first two days I just didn't care one way or the other, stayed in the hospital garb. But the third day I actually got up and took a shower and put on the nightie and underwear and felt a lot better. By then they had taken out the IV and I could put on the robe too. It would be a personal choice, but sometimes putting on something besides hospital garb gives you a mental boost too. Good luck!
Unread 03-06-2004, 10:38 AM

I literally just got home from my hospital stay yesterday afternoon. I tell you what....I didn't use HALF of what I packed! If I had to do it again I'd take my toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick and cd player/cd's and bathrobe. I didn't use my slippers because they had carpeting and it was harder to walk - ended up using socks instead. I didn't use my own nighties - and I didn't really care. I read all these threads from women who said not to bother to take your own and that you won't care and I didn't believe them - but now I do! Trust me - you will not care at all what you look like or what your wearing! It was easier to use the hospital nighties - even once the iv and stuff came out. By the time you feel like you can get dressed and showered and put on your own clothes they send you home so don't even bother packing them. In fact, the hospitals even have drawstring pants you can use so you don't flash your butt to the world if you don't even want to pack a robe. I came home with 2 pairs and they're perfect and what i'm wearing now. Big and roomy, drawstring....everything. So.....take the following:

socks
chapstick
bathrobe
toothpaste/toothbrush
brush/ponytail
cd/cd player

forget mags and books etc. I could only look at the pictures since the anesthetic and pain meds would make my eyes cross trying to read. I vegged with the tv instead because I ended up sleeping the whole day anyway.

Good luck. It's not that bad at all and if it wasn't for the tummy tuck I did I'd be feeling much better by now!!
Unread 03-07-2004, 01:51 AM

I am a fast reader so I brought 3 books and the nurses loaned me some women's mags left behind by other patients. They were shocked at how little I packed-one t-dress to lounge in and the one I wore in and wore out and printouts of hystersisters advice. The hospital I went to charged a ridiculous $9 per day for TV hire so I taped my favorite shows to keep me amused during home recovery.
Unread 03-26-2004, 06:29 AM
Here's my List

What to bring to the hospital.......

lip balm
toothbrush
robe
slippers
toothpaste
socks
comb
deodorant

You really don't need anything else especially if you are having the LAVH procedure. I was in and out in a matter of 36 hours. Now if you are staying longer you may need some reading material, etc. But, I really didnt want to read....just rest and relax.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register