Keep cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Keep cervix?

What are the pros/cons of keeping/removing your cervix during a hysto?

And since I can't ask anyone else, I'll ask here. Does it affect your sex life at all?

Thanks for all the help that is found here!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Keep cervix?

Hi supportneeded!

A fairly recent scientific study shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. I never was really “aware” of my cervix before my surgery, so losing it made no difference to me.

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Keep cervix?

I had my cervix removed and it has not affected my sex life in the least.
My dr. removes the cervix because of the chance of cervical cancer.
Good luck in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Keep cervix?

Hi Supportneeded,

You can get two schools of thinking on keeping the cervix or not.

I decided to keep my cervix with my hyst and I am still pleased with my decision. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that he felt the cervix helps with pelvic support and with sex. Also, the cervix secretes a mucus that helps to lubricate the vagina. I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since it was sturdy and I had normal pap smears for years.

More than fifty years ago, when Drs performed hysts, they generally removed the cervix since there was no test for cervical cancer. Then...the Pap smear came along and Drs...and Hyster Sisters...had more choice about removing the cervix or not. Also, my Dr. told me that cervical cancer occurs in 3% or less of women...so that was good odds for me. Also, I learned on Hyster Sisters that approx. 70% of that 3% also have a HPV...and I knew I did not have one.

I did not want to remove my healthy cervix to prevent something that might never happen. That being said...in the end...do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Keep cervix?

I will be having my cervix removed. The reason being is that I have had abnormal pap smears and HPV so it makes perfect sense to me to remove the cervix to prevent any future problems.
Unread 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Keep cervix?

Im waiting for my date but the dr. is advising removal of my cervix because of my history with bad paps as well as a family history of cervical cancer. I havent made up my mind yet, I want to educate myself then make a choice that fits me!
Unread 11-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Keep cervix?

there isnt a right or wrong answer. i chose to keep everything that was healthy. i read a lot and i chose to believe the theories that it does affect your sex life if removed and that your cervix helps with pelvic support. my surgeon also told me that women who keep their cervix have almost no chance of post op infections. i am happy with my choice but dont think its right for everyone. just do lots of research and educate yourself..and you'll be able to make the right decision for yourself.
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Keep cervix?

Thanks for all the input.........as for educating myself, this site has helped TREMENDOUSLY w/that.......and it's good to hear other people's perspectives to find the ones that fit most closely w/mine. Thanks, ladies!
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Keep cervix?

I am more confused now than ever. Today I learned that I my blood work (ca125) was elevated ( again). I have a family history of cancer ( all types. including my mom having survived breast cancer) I had one ovary removed 3 years ago, it was low malignancy and the size of a melon. I was scheduled to have a hyst then BUT during preop I learned I was preggers.. So 2 pregnancies later I am back to having a hysterectomy. I am worried about HRT, and the risks of cancer, but also worried about not taking HRT. I am ok with taking the whole enchilada out, better to live right? Jsut really uncertain about what will happen after...
Unread 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Keep cervix?

I know how you feel, goody, there are no easy answers. You really have to do a lot of thinking and researching and talking to your dr. to make the right decision. That's one thing I've learned from this forum, keep asking questions until you're satisfied. Eventually, you'll decide what's best for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register