post op instructions make it seem like I should be superwoman | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op instructions make it seem like I should be superwoman post op instructions make it seem like I should be superwoman

Unread 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM
post op instructions make it seem like I should be superwoman

Sorry to post again but does everyone get such vague post op instructions from their doc.

I have read info here which is soooo contradictory to the vague general hospital note that I got. He checked off that I can drive, do stairs and return to normal activity. Didn't even check of the return to work box. That was at 1 day post op.

Its hard to stay in the recovery state of mind when the doctor thinks I should be able to do it all. Is he just showing a general lack of empathy/intelligence or does everyone get such vague information post op?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Re: post op instructions make it seem like I should be superwoman

I would call the physician's office to get clarification and to express your concerns.

I am 3 days post op and I know I cannot drive let alone go back to all normal activities.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:38 AM

What type of surgery did you have? Your post-op instructions do not sound right at all. I agree with Minna2880--call the DR's office and reconfirm. No one should drive after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2010, 08:38 AM

Hello!
I also was not given any restrictions except for 'no driving for one week'. Nothing was mentioned about lifting, vacuuming, nothing! However, he did give me 6 weeks off work!

Did you have a Vaginal? - I did, and wonder if it is because I do not have any external stitches?
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:40 AM

Yes definitely contact your Dr's office. Generally as long as you are on narcotics you are not allowed to drive. Also there should be a limit to how much you are allowed to lift (mine is 10 pounds max) I was told to limit stairs (I have 2 getting into my house). Regarding normal daily activities that is odd as you will need to get lots of rest in the coming weeks and returning to household chores is difficult to say the least.

While everyone heals at a different rate we all need to take things slow after having a major surgery. When in doubt listen to your body and take a nap.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:42 AM

I was not to drive for a week and do normal activities except no heavy lifting...surgery was DLVAH
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:45 AM

My doc said NOTHING in the Vagina for 6 to 8 weeks , No baths , no lifting heavy things over 10 pounds for 8 weeks , I had no choice but to do steps , I live up steps and I can't hover up them..LOL!!! I did bend a bunch before I found out you werent supposed to but he said bending isnt the end of the world..All docs have different instructions I would imagine , Just take it easy!
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Not sure about abbreviations but it was laparascopic total hysterectomy with preservation of ovaries. Feel like crap today! I just think that if I could have it in writing then my hubby would be able to manage his expectations (and I would be able to manage mine as well!). He has been great but wants me to drive kids back and forth to soccer games etc today. Really really not feeling up to it (let alone lots of questions from other well meaning soccer moms)
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:14 AM

I know it's the weekend so you probably can't call your dr but you should definitely call him on Monday. Meanwhile, here is a link to some typical post op instructions (from an actual Dr's office) that should give you some guidance. AND, it's something you can show your husband. Of course, YOUR INSTRUCTIONS MAY BE DIFFERENT. This is only for general information and to show your husband. The instructions are for TLH and TVH (you had TLH). I hope it helps.

I can't post the link on this forum, but go to cartersvilleobgyn with .com after it and click on the tab that says PATIENT CENTER. You will see a few forms and one of them is TLH/TVH Post Op Instructions
Unread 09-25-2010, 09:15 AM

Margme--If you don't feel well then don't drive. Your post-op instructions do not sound right. You should be doing nothing really for the first week and then the second week you still need to keep things light. You had organs taken out of your body just a couple of days before me. NO ONE heals that fast. You should not be driving today. I had the DaVinci procedure to remove my left ovary on 9/23. I am on pain meds and no driving for 1 week but even when the week is up if I don't feel well enough to drive, I will not drive. It is much better to wait and be safe because women you do too much too fast can end up back in the hospital. Let your husband read some of the posts on here and see what other women are going through. He needs to understand that you must take it very slowly. I believe you have not had your post-op appointment yet either because it is still too soon. Hope your hubby gets it and good luck! Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register