Bowel Problems 5 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel Problems 5 weeks post hysterectomy Bowel Problems 5 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 08-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Bowel Problems 5 weeks post hysterectomy

I am having difficulty bearing down to have a bowel movement because it feels as if there is nothing to push against since my uterus is gone. All it feels like is that I have a huge vacuum inside. Can anyone relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Re: Bowel Problems

I don't reall get the vacuum thing but did want to mention you really shouldn't be trying to force it out, especially if you have vaginal cuff and stitches. Maybe some stool softeners, prunes, prune juice, fiber, lots of water and walking around.

I do feel your pain. I'm 5 days shy of being 3 months post op and up until a couple weeks ago I was still having problems having bowel movements. I've found the more I've been able to increase my activity the easier it has been.
Unread 08-11-2016, 04:10 PM

I have been having the same issue. Plus some pain in the rectum. I found what helps is definitely stool softener and water. Also it helps me to sit back on the toilet and lean back. I'm wondering how long the pain will last. I kept me cervix so I don't have to worry about vaginal stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2016, 04:41 PM

I forgot, the other thing that helps is to use a step stool to put your feet up and then bend over a little if necessary. It kind of straightens things out and makes it easier to go. For a step stool I used the one that my kids used to use to be able to brush their teeth and wash their hands when they were toddlers. So it doesn't have to be real tall or anything but it definitely helps the situation some.
Unread 08-11-2016, 06:47 PM

I agree w what the other sisters have posted... Things will be different post op. Stool softeners, lots of water during the day. Your diet should be many smaller meals & snacks vs 3 big meals. Include apples, prunes, prune juice as needed, veggies, magnesium, pumpkin seeds. Limit processed & the starchy carbs like pasta & bread as its binding. Walking, water keeps things going.. Reduced estrogen affects our GI track by slowing it down. Omega fatty acids like olive oil, avocado, salmon, sardines, flax oil. You can subsitutue these oils instead of stool softeners bc fats lubricate the GI track. Smoothies are great. I use 1/2 c soy milk, 1/2 yogurt, 2 Tb flax seeds, 1 c spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 c blueberries. I just buy frozen. (The spinach, flax, fruit will get you going). A step stool is best when you need to go.

You can also talk to your Dr how youre feeling. Things will be sensative. You need to avoid constipation & firm stools.. A PT for pelvic floor therapy may be helpful but your Dr can advise..
Unread 08-11-2016, 06:56 PM

I am 7 weeks post op and still having such a hard time. Today is day 2 of no bowel movement even after taking 2 linzess and I am in such agony. It seems like each week around a Wednesday or Thursday everything goes down hill and I suffer without going for two days then it straightens back out until the next week. I only drink water I have upped my fiber I am walking almost three miles a day I take two stool softeners every morning. I hope everything finally calms down, but so far it's not. I even changed my GI dr because of not being able to get in to see her until October but its no better because who I switched to is booked until September. I keep wondering if I may have some endo on my bowels that Dr didn't see. He told my husband after surgery that I had it on my bladder which was stuck to uterus and on my tubes that he had tied and burned fourteen years ago. Is it possible to have endo on the bowels or would he gave seen it. I see him on Monday the 15th for a 8 week post op and plan on asking him if it's possible. Becausr going in we had no idea I had endo I suspected it, but didn't know for sure.
Unread 08-12-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonib810 View Post
I am 7 weeks post op and still having such a hard time. Today is day 2 of no bowel movement even after taking 2 linzess and I am in such agony. It seems like each week around a Wednesday or Thursday everything goes down hill and I suffer without going for two days then it straightens back out until the next week. I only drink water I have upped my fiber I am walking almost three miles a day I take two stool softeners every morning. I hope everything finally calms down, but so far it's not. I even changed my GI dr because of not being able to get in to see her until October but its no better because who I switched to is booked until September. I keep wondering if I may have some endo on my bowels that Dr didn't see. He told my husband after surgery that I had it on my bladder which was stuck to uterus and on my tubes that he had tied and burned fourteen years ago. Is it possible to have endo on the bowels or would he gave seen it. I see him on Monday the 15th for a 8 week post op and plan on asking him if it's possible. Becausr going in we had no idea I had endo I suspected it, but didn't know for sure.
Hi, you should talk to your Dr about the endo..From what I was told by my previos Gyn, is that endo can attach to the bowels. Your Dr can better explain about your surgery & work performed.

Seeing a GI Dr is a good idea. Your difficulties may not be due to endo, it may just be finding just the right concoction routine for you..

When increase fiber, increase water right after take fiber otherwise youll just create constipation. We eat throughout the day, so instead of taking a stool softener 1 x a day, take 1 w 2 meals.

Increasing fats into the diet lubricates the GI track. Reduced estrogen slows digestion down. If you can take soy or talk to your Dr abiut it. Plus onega fatty acids like olive oil, flax seed oil, salmon & avocados help..

Salads, apples, prunes, prune juice, pumpkin seeds. Hydrate throughout the day. Limit starchy carbs like bread & rice bc binding.

I have a smoothie in the AM, 1/2 c soy milk, 1/2 yogurt (for probiotic & bones) 1 c spinach, 1 c blueberries, 1/2 banana, 2 Tbls flax seeds, ice. Follow w a glass of water. Warm lemon water in the AM helps. Lunch- protein w a salad w olive oil. Each meal, I try to include a bit to help my hormones & or GI.

Break up some walking during the day vs doing it all at one x a day. Water, water water...

Feel better!
Unread 08-12-2016, 06:48 AM

In addition to what the others have said, I would recommend supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; in addition to leafy greens, you can also get it from pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. Also try adding cherries to your smoothie; that's what ultimately worked for me. Another trick to get things moving is to sit on the toilet right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Other sisters have recommended various hot drinks to get things moving; my personal pick is peppermint tea. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!
Unread 08-12-2016, 09:14 AM
Re: Bowel Problems 5 weeks post hysterectomy

Chiming in to echo the "don't push it" message. I am prone to constipation and here is what helps me: 1) Avoiding cheese. Greek yogurt is fine, and some milk here and there, but cheese causes me to back up like nobody's business. I can have cheese once a week, but more than that is courting danger. 2) A smoothie every day, preferably in the morning, which includes frozen sweet cherries (unsweetened), orange juice or coconut milk, whichever I feel like, chia seeds, and baby spinach. For some reason this combination really helps things move. 3) Prunes if I feel like things aren't moving. Just three or four once a day. 4) Water, water, water. Lots of it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register