Spasms, gurgling, pain upper left abdomen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spasms, gurgling, pain upper left abdomen? Spasms, gurgling, pain upper left abdomen?

Unread 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Spasms, gurgling, pain upper left abdomen?

Is anyone else having this? I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and about a week ago I started having upper left (under my ribs) spasms when I eat, it also hurts in my back. I am having bowel movements, they are large and kind of hard to pass I guess . . . I am also having gurgling there, lots of it. I just don't want to be in pain anymore, I was looking forward to feeling better, not worse!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat1228
Is anyone else having this? I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and about a week ago I started having upper left (under my ribs) spasms when I eat, it also hurts in my back. I am having bowel movements, they are large and kind of hard to pass I guess . . . I am also having gurgling there, lots of it. I just don't want to be in pain anymore, I was looking forward to feeling better, not worse!
I had similar symptoms, the spasm in the same area. It almost felt like the familiar kidney stone pain. I went to the Dr. and they said it was "probably" a kidney stone lurking around. I have a hard time believing it considering the timing of just having the hysterectomy..I have had kidney stones before and I know this feels different. I understand the part of wanting to feel better and not worse!! Dr. said there were signs of a urinary tract infection, gave me antibiotics, a shot, and sent me on my way. He said if the abdomen pain didn't improve to call my ob/gyn. When it spasms it makes you want to apply counter pressure. The pain is left side upper abdomen just below the ribs. I hope you feel better and it passes as you heal!!
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Hi Kat and Cainen

I would suggest trying some Gas-X to see if that relieves some of the pain. It could be trapped air. It's also good to take short walks as often as you feel up to it to get things moving. If that doesn't help, I would give the doctor a call. You'll feel best getting some assurance from a medical professional. Good luck to you both!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Okay, tell me if you can decipher this and what it might be? I took some Milk of Magnesia last night to see if although I've been having bowel movements, maybe I needed to clean out. Almost immediately I started passing really nasty smelling gas and loud, where my toots had been weak before that (sorry for TMI). This morning I did not wake up with as bad of pain and then I had some painful rectal spasms and then a large movement. The pain and crampy feeling is still there in my upper left abdomen but not as bad.
I had this pain before my surgery and thought that surgery would help it. I've had an upper endoscopy which found a small hiatal hernia, an abdominal ultrasound (normal), a CT scan with contrast (all it found was a cyst on the left ovary which is now gone), and hemacult slides which were fine (no bleeding from GI tract). My GI doctor can't seem to find a reason for the pain and I am getting really frustrated and anxious about it. I just want to feel normal and be pain free for once! I know I need to have a colonoscopy, I had to cancel it before my surgery due to anemia and non-stop menstrual bleeding.
I've had this pain since May of last year. The GI Dr. has said all along he doesn't suspect anything serious. I have a rather LARGE anxiety and panic problem. I just want some relief, if anyone has any ideas. I am suspecting IBS with constipation? I've been told I have that before but never really any treatment offered besides take fiber.
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:13 AM

Hi,
I just wanted to bump this up this list in case anyone else can shed some light. I am STILL having pain and lots of intestinal gas and gurgling, belching, spasms in upper left. I have finally called my GI doc as this is not going away, but I am just trying really hard not to PANIC. As I said I have a terrible panic and anxiety problem about health issues which in turn makes me very, very ill when I let it get the better of me. I am 35. Do you think I could have cancer? I had an LAVH/LSO on 12/7. My path report came back clean for anything too bad, but the Dr. did say that my bowel and ovary and abdominal wall were all stuck together.
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM

Hi
I am sorry that you are feeling so worried. I am glad that you have called your GI doc...especially if you had gi issues before your hysterectomy. I too have a left sided issue...presented first to the doc with pain, and they thought I might have diverticulitis. CT showed my large ovarian cyst with ? of cancer(But it wasn't). I had endometriosis as well, with infection in the ovary, tubes and free fluid...with the Left ovary stuck to the intestines. I have had problems earlier in my recovery getting regular, having some discomfort etc. I was also on a long term course of antibiotics which reaked havoc on my gi tract. I needed to take a probiotic to get my system back on course.
I would support you in getting in touch with your doc.
I am three months post op today....still feeling like I am in recovery even though most would not know what I have been through by looking at me. I am putting my worries in to my exercise, activity and focus...but also am thinking about calling the doc.
good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register