Ready but scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ready but scared Ready but scared

Unread 03-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Ready but scared

Hi All,
New here and set to have LAVH on April 22nd, that date can't come soon enough right now.
Dr's hope this will solve my Iron Ferritin issue. I will also have Iron checked the week before to see in i need a day treatment before surgery.
Hubby will be alone at the hospital and for after care so i hope recovery goes well.
Ready for surgery but scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Ready but scared

YOu will enjoy being a member here.My boyfriend & I were alone through the hospital & recovery & it went very well.Get some easy lunch & dinner foods in the house before you go in,fruits & veggies are important,soups,& raisin bran & oatmeal if you eat it.You have to eat a little something with pain meds to avoid nausia,& you have to have fiber to offset the constipation you deal with that first week,so hungry or not you need soft easy to fix & eat foods.Some cozy pjs,good books a remote & you will be ready to recover. I am at 16 days and it has went very smooth for me,I cant complain about any of it.You will be fine
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Ready but scared

Hi gals, I would like to join the group of ladies that has had a TVH. I think which surgery you get depends on what eles is needed to be done. I'm thinking most of us who get TVH also have prolapse or bladder issues. My recovery has been slow due to a popped stitch at the cuff site, I'm taking things very easy. I hope in a few months we can all look back and say YES this was all worth it! Best Wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Ready but scared

I'm scheduled for a vag. hyst. on April 23rd. My doctor tells me I will need to take 4-6 weeks off for recovery. I am also a teacher, and to be honest, I can't imagine having the energy to teach any sooner than that. From all that I've read here, taking it easy is the key to recovery. I plan to do just that. I appreciate all the information I have gotten from reading all the posts on this site. It has really helped because at this point, I'm just really nervous!
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Ready but scared

Let me throw my 2 cents in. I had my TVH back in October. It's probably the easiest hysterectomy to recover from in my opinion. I had pain pills for the first week, then they got taken away due to a different medical condition. When I went for my 2 week post op, my gyn wanted to know why I didn't call him to get a different pain killer. I told him I didn't think I needed it. He wrote me one anyway, and I did get it filled, but didn't use it.

The only thing that I haven't seen on here, (I could have missed it), is if your having any sort of rectal repair, a donut helps. A lot of women get by without one, but I had sooooo much done, I couldn't sit for a week without it.

Anyway, here's to a super fast and super easy recovery for you all! Don't forget to rest and take it easy! Don't be in a hurry to get things done.
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Ready but scared

Vegas1, I am also nervous. I work with special needs 3-5 year olds and am worried about going back to soon.
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Ready but scared

Hi Vegas...and Lovetolearn.....

I had also never had surgery and was also dealing with the fact that I have asthma, so was afraid of complications with the anesthetic! I talked to the anethesiologist before hand to express my fears and to also mention that because of nearly dying when I was 21 with my first asthma attack I had developed panic attacks (which no longer seem to be an issue)but thought they might possibly resurface. I laid it all out there so that he would know I was really afraid. The crazy part was I think because I had expressed my fears before hand...I arrived the day of surgery feeling just fine. I think the fact that we had to travel 1 1/2 to get to the hospital, and having a flat tire on the way...by the time I got there i was past being stressed!!!

I think you are so right about it all being the fear of the unknown...but just remember they do these all the time, and although it is your first time, they are skilled at what they do. This website is an awesome resource before and after...at least you don't feel like you are going through all this by yourself.

I just hit week five today and I would have to say that week four is the turn around week when you start to feel more like your old self...I have noticed though that some of the ladies have recovered much quicker than I...but I have really taken it easy and have been pain free since week one. Now I am working on building up my strength again, walking every day at least 2 miles to get some muscle back as I feel that was the one thing that really suffered...my back is very sore because of not using my stomach muscles.......

All the best to you both...
Unread 03-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Ready but scared

Wow ladies this is great to finally have someone to talk to about this.
My surgery is set for April 22nd, so Vegas1 we can recover together. As of right now I am set to only be off from work 4 weeks. I have no other repair going on during surgery but have severe Iron Ferritin issues and will be having a "refill" the week before to get me ready for surgery.
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Ready but scared

Hi all, I had my TVH this past Wednesday - today is Friday. So far, so good. I stayed in the hospital one night and had 2 shots of morphine before switching to Tylenol. This morning I was pretty sore but a pain killer helped a lot. Because I had most of my one lung removed over 11 years ago, I had an epidural and twilight sleep. It was the first time for me - I had natural childbirth - but it was fine. I woke up in the operating room to the sound of rock music and my wonderful doctor telling me I was done (2 hours of surgery) and all was fine. I had immeasurable blood loss.

I was lucky, the doctor was able to remove my uterus, ovaries, and tubes without incident and my bladder sort of went back into place once everything else got out of its way!My mom passed with breast and ovarian cancer so I am glad the risk has been reduced. I forgot to ask about stitches but it sure doesn't feel like it.

This may sound weird but was a treat to go to the bathroom and clean myself without feeling that great lump sticking out of me. if you have a prolapse you know exactly what I am talking about. What freedom!

I intend to take FULL advantage of my DH and loving 25 year old daughter. Actually they have been great - my daughter is staying with us a couple of days to keep an eye on dear old mom. Like some others we are empty nesters. The son and daughter are out of the house but visit often.

I teacher middle school - grades 6 - 8 math and language arts literacy (new term for reading/writing) basic skills and a special ed science. While I will miss them I know it is best for me to stay home and rest. I plan on returning on April 14th (Monday I think - about 2 1.2 weeks recovery). But I will follow the doctor's orders to be sure. We are approaching state standardized testing here and that is my specialty with my kids! I have prepared then already but I would like to be there with them at least a week before their "big" test. Time will tell.

God luck to everyone waiting for their and a speedy recovery to everyone. This site has been a great help to me. I am sure it is for you all. Marie
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Ready but scared

wow there are a bunch of school staff, i am a teaching assistant at our middle school in with special ed/severe . and rotate in our new autistic classroom. I am going back to work on monday 2+ weeks after surgery (13th) My teacher and other TA's will take good care of my and i can hang out with the kids on the mats. i can't imagine going back so soon if i had a LAVH or a TAH. good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register