Scheduled TVH Upcoming hysterectomy 4/21: another cervix removal question - intimacy concerns | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/21: another cervix removal question - intimacy concerns Upcoming hysterectomy 4/21: another cervix removal question - intimacy concerns

Unread 04-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/21: another cervix removal question - intimacy concerns

Hi, I've been reading everyone's posts, articles and discussions about whether to remove the cervix or not. My surgery is on April 21st. I have a healthy cervix and I am worried about the sexual side of removal. Does the cervix expand inward to allow full penetration? If you have it removed does the wall "stretch" any? I'm hoping someone has dealt with this specifically. I'm sorry for the graphic nature of the question but, my pre-op appointment isn't until Monday and I'm struggling with this decision. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Re: another cervix removal question

Hi Cyncoleman to HysterSisters!

I am glad you found this site.

The cervix is the neck to the uterus, and is part of the uterus. It does not expand inward during penetration. Here is an article that may help: hysterectmy information.

If your cerivx is removed, you will have what is called a vaginal cuff, where the top of the vagina is sewn together. If you think tube sock, you will have a good picture. The vagina is a flexible muscle, and will be able to expand if necessary. (Keep in mind you will be restricted from any sexual activity for about 6 or 8 weeks).

Now, if you enjoy your cervix being bumped, then you may notice a difference if your cervix is removed. Here are 10 Questions to Help You Decide about the Cervix

I had my uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries removed - everything is gone. For me, sex feels different. My orgasms are not as intense (I miss the muscle contraction of my uterus), but they are more frequent. But, my DH cannot tell any difference.

Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Make the decision that is right for you.

Unread 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Thank you so much for responding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 4/21: another cervix removal question - intimacy concerns

Hi,

I had my cervix, uterus, and tubes removed.

The actual act of penetration feels pretty much the same to me, and my husband says it feels the same for him (not "shorter" or anything like that.)

Orgasm feels different because I no longer have the intense uterine contractions I used to have. It's not bad, it's just different. I don't think keeping my cervix would have made a difference with this.
Unread 04-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 4/21: another cervix removal question - intimacy concerns

Thank you for replying. I suppose I've been concerned about after surgery, the main function of that area will be sexual and I don't want to make the wrong decision cervix wise. I'm feeling more reassured that either way, the cervix won't matter too much. I think I have uterine contractions but, obviously, there's nothing to be done about that.
Unread 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM

I have no advice, but I'm happy to see someone worried about one of the same things I am! My surgery was on 03/11 and among the many worries I have about all of this, I am currently worrying about this as well. I'm only 47 with a very exciting and enjoyable sex life in my current relationship and I'm worried about losing that part of my life and also how losing it will affect our relationship (not married; but long term relationship). Thanks for having the guts to ask what I've been embarrassed about Thanks to the ladies who answered who have already been there!
Unread 04-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Glad I'm not alone! I'm 39 with lots of sexual years ahead of me. I've unfortunately read lots of horror stories that have made me fearful. That's the negative side of the Internet... This site has been so helpful and encouraging.
Unread 04-08-2016, 03:08 PM

Good to drop in on this post. I am worried about the same thing. I even mentioned maybe keeping my cervix and the Dr. advised not to. I happen to be one who enjoys the "bump" of the cervix so to speak, but as whatever is going on gets worse, it tends to inflict pain now. I am nervous about how it will affect things. My husband says he is not worried about it from his aspect, but I am from mine. At 37- I don't want to lose what I enjoy so far. Seems there are so many aspects to worrying about the hysterectomies.
Unread 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM

Hi I had my cervix removed with ovaries tubes and uterus in March so many m not very far along. I have the same worries as everyone else around this. I'm unusual in the fact I've been married for 33 years but for the last 4 years I have had no sex life or intimacy with DH. I thought my sex life was over but last year I got myself a lover and my sex life has become incredible again - and I'm worried I'll be different and I'll lose my new found sex life......
Unread 04-08-2016, 03:54 PM

It truly is so much more involved than what I first anticipated...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register