Hysterectomy, but kept cervix? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy, but kept cervix? Hysterectomy, but kept cervix?

Unread 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Hysterectomy, but kept cervix?

Well, in my case keeping the cervix (which isn't a separate organ, but part of the uterus) wasn't an option because I had fibroids, and fibroids can and do grow on the cervix. (My sister can testify to that!) There was no way I was going to allow a chance for any more fibroids to grow in me.

That having been said, however -- there is no real "right" or "wrong" answer to this question. It's all about each (((sister's))) individual situation and what's best for her. We have not written the final chapter -- in fact, we're not even close -- on whether or not it's best to keep the cervix (or ovaries, for that matter).

Some doctors and patients feel that it's most conservative to take the cervix, some feel it's most conservative to retain it. Your family history, and other medical conditions you may have, also may suggest a certain avenue.

The good thing about retaining the cervix is that if you do need to have it removed later, you can. Yes, it's another surgery -- but if it doesn't cause trouble, you haven't lost anything. On the other hand, most (((sisters))) can't tell they're missing the cervix.

Edited to add: The cervix is not attached to the bladder, at least as far as I know. In fact, when I had my hysterectomy, it took an extra hour because my bladder and uterus were adhered to each other -- and it was not a routine finding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM

I agree that there is no right or wrong answer...only what is right for each of us...and I pray that everyone is able to come to a decision that is right for themselves.
FYI...Here is a link to an anatomy picture that shows how the cervix is attached to the walls of the bladder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fem_isa_2.gif
Unread 04-27-2007, 12:13 PM

With my dr, I made a decision to have him remove the cervix (but I kept the ovaries). There was still a possibility that if I'd kept my cervix that I'd still have cramps and bleeding to deal with, and I wanted done with it. And since among the other things wrong, I did have fibroids, I'm glad of the decision.

Regarding sex and orgasms - I was really worried that without the uterus, and the contractions that is supposed to occur, that it wouldn't be as intense or what if I didn't have one at all. However, what I've realized instead is that while it was really great before, that I was always feeling pain at the same time. Any uterine contraction was painful for me.

So for me, I'm still experiencing O's, and they have actually improved in that respect.
Unread 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM

I had my TVH for a severe prolapse, in which my cervix had already left my body and was dragging my uterus with it, so there was no decision -- the cervix came out. I have not noticed any adverse effects from having it removed, and after five years my bladder (which was tacked up at the time of the hyst) is still OK.

Drawings which depict the uterus and bladder fused together are misleading. All the organs in the pelvis are kind of wrapped in this loose, gelatinous tissue called areolar tissue (and nope, it has nothing to do with breasts ). It's kind of sticky or gummy, but it doesn't fuse things together in a normal pelvis. It's very easily pulled apart during surgery.

The problem comes in when there are adhesions or endo that are binding things together, and that is a whole other kettle of fish. Then, it can be very tough to separate them (or bowel from uterus, if the adhesion/endo is there) without damaging anything, which is why sometimes ladies with bad adhesions or endo end up with a little piece of their uterus (may be part of the cervix or not) left behind stuck onto the bladder (or bowel).

But, again, for those of us who go into the hysterectomy without adhesions or endo, it's generally very easy to separate the uterus from its neighboring structures and remove it. And, obviously in my case, where my cervix was outside my body and my bladder was not, clearly they'd already separated themselves.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Also - as I understand it - no matter what procedure you have - yearly pap smears are still in order - hard to believe - but yes.
Unread 04-28-2007, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the clarification on the anatomy...it seems there are a lot of differing ideas to that...but it does make more sense the way you described it.
As far as the pap smears....my doc explained to me that if i chose to keep my cervix that i would need pap smears yearly, but if i chose to have the cervix out that i would only need to have them every 5 years. I think that may be different advice for everyone though.
I have read on here that it seems different doctors have different opinions about that....also each patient is different, so that is also an explanation of the different things i have read. Just rememeber to follow your docs advice...it is there for your specific situation....and call with your questions! time for me to stop rambling now.....
Good luck to all and take care,
Kraut

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register