Silver nitrate ....... again and again and again! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silver nitrate ....... again and again and again! Silver nitrate ....... again and again and again!

Unread 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Silver nitrate ....... again and again and again!

Well I just received my 3rd try at the silver nitrate. I had to have it at my 6 week check up to clear up some granulation. Then again after a couple of months of spotting off and on. Well it seems like I had more granulation when I went back to see the dr yesterday. This is 8 months after my hysterectomy. So I have to return in 3 weeks to see if he got it this time. If not then it's under sedation to use a cauterizer.

Anyone else have problems with granulation like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Re: Silver nitrate ....... again and again and again!

I started spotting in my 4th month after Da Vinci surgery, and it has continued . At my 6 months checkup the doctor said the cuff looked "irritated" but didn't know why. I asked him if he ever used silver nitrate, and he decided to put some on the area. About 2 days later I had some bright red blood. Now it is back to just spotting off and on. Sometimes I think when I'm sitting the cuff must rub on the vaginal wall or something. I started using Replens for added moisture. He never said I had granulation. My pap test came back normal-didn't even show any inflammation. I don't know what to do to stop the light spotting!!!!!
Unread 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Obviously I'm not a dr, but could it be fallopian tube? I've heard of that causing similar problems when it's caught in the stitches or grown into the vaginal cuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM

That's a good idea, but I had everything taken out including the tubes, ovaries and cervix. My diagnosis was endometrial cancer, but after the biopsies no malignancy was found any where!
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Well... hmm, I got nothing. Are you taking zinc supplements to speed healing? That really helps.
Unread 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look at the zinc.
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:22 PM

Me too, on the silver nitrate.

At six weeks, he said I had granulation and applied silver nitrate.
I went back this week, at eight weeks, and he said I had a little bit of granulation on the right, but quite a lot on the left side still, so he applied more silver nitrate. That was Tuesday, and I have been bleeding more this time and I am back on the pain pills. It hurts!

He mentioned that, if it doesn't clear up, we will have to be a little more aggressive with the cauterization and go in surgically, but I didn't ask for details. I go back in two weeks to see if it is gone. He wants to keep checking until it is gone. I get the impression that I had a lot of granulation. The first time, he also said I had 'weepage', and probably an infection, so I took a round of Cipro, and that made me feel better, just in general.

I have seen other posts where the ladies said this didn't hurt. But it hurts me. It's like the wound isn't healing, so it is still achy, and I have to lay down to keep the pressure off. He said there isn't anything I can do about it, and that more than half the hysterectomies have this problem. I hope yours gets better!
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM

I hear you about the pain color! It hurt like heck when he did it the last time and I had a real burning feeling for the last couple of days but it's easing up a bit now. I sure hope it works this time, I don't want to go in surgically. I think I'll give the zinc a look at too.

Hope all those that are going through this too will heal and be done with it. Finger's crossed!!
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM

mrs.h, glad you reminded me about the zinc! I will check back here and post when I go back to the dr. When do you go back? Color
Unread 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM

Sorry I missed your post Color. I don't go back to see my dr till Sept. 1st.

I'm still having some bleeding. I'm not sure how long it takes the silver nitrate to do it's thing?

Wishing you luck with yours!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register