Taking care of myself post-surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Taking care of myself post-surgery? Taking care of myself post-surgery?

Unread 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Taking care of myself post-surgery?

Desperately needing assistance and any advice. My surgery is scheduled for October 23. My boyfriend has now left me and I have no other people to help me post surgery and I cannot afford home nursing care. I have found someone to care for my dog for a few weeks. I was wondering if there is anyway I can care for myself post-surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am so alone and terrified. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Re: Taking care of myself post-surgery?

First off, <big hug>.

How mobile you'll be will depend on what version of surgery you'll be having. If it's a laparoscopic procedure, you'll be able to move more easily than if it's an abdominal procedure. You shouldn't be totally stuck in bed, regardless. The Dr's generally want you up and around at least a little every day. I had help afterwards, but I didn't need much assistance beyond reminders not to do too much. My thought is if you stock up on supplies so you don't have to spend time running errands and grocery shopping, and can just pop food in the microwave, you should be able to be pretty self sufficient. I'd recommend you chat with your Dr, and make sure they know you'll be flying solo at home. They may keep you longer. Also, some hospitals don't allow you to take a taxi home after surgery. They want someone to be able to get you settled and make sure you're okay when you get home. I'd check in to that, so you'll have time to recruit help if necessary.
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Thank you...this helps my anxiety. I am having an abdominal, partial hysterectomy...leaving one ovary and my cervix. thank you agian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM

Sure thing! Above all, don't doubt yourself. You can get through this.
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM

I think it's doable. I know there have been other members who have done it.

One tip I saw from another member who did it alone was to have people call you or have a system where you call someone, tell them you're taking a shower, and that if you don't check in, to come over, etc. You may only need something like this the first day.
Unread 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Speak to the Social Worker at the hospital about your situation. They can assist you in setting up visiting nurses to at least come in and check on you, help you bathe, whatever, for the first week or two. This is often covered by insurance. I work in a hospital, and this is something we do.
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:58 PM

I hear you. I'm scheduled for Oct 19 and live alone a long way from family and friends. I'm not sure yet whether I will have laporoscopic or abdominal surgery, but either way, I worry about how I will cope. I'm trying to plan ahead and be as ready as I can. I'm having to ask almost total strangers for help, and so far, everyone has been great and are more than willing to run errands for me and stuff like that.

I have to tell myself "Other people have done it, and so can I". I will just have to take things slowly and if the floors don't get swept or mopped for a while, so what? I am putting my 2 fur babies in a cattery for a couple of weeks so I don't have to worry about bending to clean the litter tray and feed them.

I'm lucky that I live in a small country town and the GP has told me I can stay in the local hospital as long I feel I need to (I'm having the surgery at a different hospital an hour and a half away). I've spoken to the pharmacy about having meds delivered if I need them, and they can arrange that. I have a ride to and from hospital and am trying to arrange some assistance through a non-profit aid organisation. I think I should qualify for some help. I think they charge about $8 per hour for cleaning and chores, so I can maybe get them in every 2 weeks until I'm up to it myself. I'll be cooking and freezing enough meals for a couple of weeks and making sure I've got lots of canned stuff so I don't have to worry about food.

It's very daunting, but I really do believe we can do it if we plan ahead and use a bit of common sense.

*hugz* Hang in there. We will get through this!
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:32 PM

I've read other members have done it solo and it is encouraging that it can be done. For sure let your doctors know as well as the hospital's social worker and nurse, as they may have a program that may help you. Also, keep your phone nearby and the nurse hotline number handy in case you need to speak to someone about any symptoms you may be experiencing or have questions about. Big *Hugs* to you and please let us know how you're doing .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register