Scheduled dVH/RALH Second thoughts... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second thoughts... Second thoughts...

Unread 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Second thoughts...

Less than two weeks until surgery and I am starting to have some serious jitters! Three gynecologists (one of which is my sister!) have told me my suspected adenomyosis will just get worse until menopause, which is still years away for me. My last period was 14 days....super duper heavy and clots for only about 4 days but spotting and cramps for the other 10 days. I have had three episodes of flooding during the past year that were unpredictable and embarrassing. However, I have about two weeks a month when I feel normal.... This week I feel pretty good and I'm second guessing my decision to have surgery....has anyone else dealt with these last minute doubts? ( I'm not a good candidate for hormones, which is the only other treatment...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Re: Second thoughts...

Hi Jnet65 to HysterSisters!

Yes, second thoughts and last minute doubts are quite normal. This is one tough surgery to digest and process. And it should be considered carefully. It is a balancing act: what is best for your long-term health given your particular scenario.

I don't think anyone on this site wanted a hysterectomy, but it was the best choice given the conditions we found ourselves in.

Unread 02-15-2014, 07:12 PM

I just had major neck surgery in December ... Every day pre-op I felt ok I asked myself if I should cancel. Then I'd hurt, and want the surgery. So look at it with the big picture. If you'll no longer have debilitating symptoms for those few days a month will your quality of life improve? That's how I knew my past surgeries and my upcoming hysterectomy (if insurance approves it) are good decisions for me. I'm lucky that a laproscopic hysterectomy has minimal pain/recovery issues so I know it's something I need and want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2014, 08:07 AM

Right up until the day of surgery, I was in complete denial. I kept thinking something would happen and I wouldn't have to go through with it. Then I was in the hospital and it was really happening! Now I think having the surgery was one of the best decisions I ever made and I'm so glad I got it over with. I'm feeling great at over 10 weeks post op. Good luck!
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:47 AM

Yep, yep, yep… that last period before surgery I thought sealed the deal. But then, the whole week before surgery, all of a sudden, I felt great. The second and third thoughts were consuming. But I went back and looked at the calendar notes I had been keeping for my doc, and that helped… I remembered the debilitating pain, having to turn down invitations because I couldn't predict what my body was going to do, and having to scrub blood stains from clothes, floors and furniture… I knew I was doing the right thing.

I am 3 days post-op, tired, sore, a little swollen - and have ZERO regrets. I feel liberated and free. The long road of recovery and rebuilding my body lies ahead, but that in itself is a blessing to have.

Look at the big picture, not a few good days. I wish you a smooth procedure and recovery. Hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register