Seeking advice from those with PCOS | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seeking advice from those with PCOS Seeking advice from those with PCOS

Unread 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Seeking advice from those with PCOS

Hi everyone,
I have PCOS and I am about to get a hysterectomy in the upcoming couple of months..
Does anyone that has PCOS have any advice to help me along with everything??
I would love and appreciate anything. It is so hard. I have learned so much more about PCOS in the last year and is amazed what answers that I have found regarding the questions in my mind.
Like; the facial hair (UGH)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 04:15 PM

I don't have PCOS, but I am sure someone here will be along shortly. I just wanted to tell you that you are in the right place for advice.

Kim
Unread 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

thank you,
I am so glad that I found this website. So far I have found so much. The reccommendations and advice is awesome.
Erica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2008, 05:29 PM

I havent been diagnosed with PCOS but I do have recurring cyst because of my endo, I know its different but I just wanted you to know that I was here for you. Are the cyst with PCOS painful? Mine are excruatiating! Will you be having your ovaries removed? I have a cyst when I ovulate and when my cycle begins, I hate them. I am having my ovaries removed because of the cyst and the endo. Mostly the cyst.
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Hello Navywife 2003.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 23. I'm 31 now This was discovered after recurrent problems with Fertility and Miscarriages. Here are of my few insights. The unsightly hair is annoying but can be dealt with. I recomment waxing. It lasts the longest. (As long as the thought of hot wax doesn't bother you) Be careful with your diet. PCOS patients tend to be borderline diabetics. Unfortunately, I stepped right over that line but again with patience and understanding it is manageable. The weight gain has been a pain. I recommend a dietician to help you keep a healthy weight as well as some sort of excercise . These are my opinions only. I am schedule for a TAH/BSO on Sept 8th due to crazy periods, uterine fibroids and crazy ovarian cyst ruptures. I will say out of everything I'm so happy to finally get out the ovaries that have caused me so many issues over the years. I will be happy to be rid of the ER visits due to cyst ruptures. Basically, I'd go there thinking something is horribly wrong because the pain is so horrible only to have an ER doc tell me I had cyst rupture and there was nothing they could do for me except give me more paid meds. I love the grin and bear it attitude. This is one sister who is happy not to grin and bear it anymore. Take care.
Unread 08-20-2008, 09:19 PM

Hi navywife…

I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2002… like Chris, mine was discovered when I was being treated for fertility and recurrent pregnancy loss issues (by a reproductive endocrinologist).

Although I worked to educate myself as much as possible about PCOS, what I wish I had done differently back then was to be serious about better eating and exercise and drop some weight when I found out and not waited. The doc said I was also insulin resistant and prescribed metformin (glucophage) to help regulate my then irregular periods, but he didn’t stress importance of diet/exercise. As I was dealing with a lot of stress from multiple pregnancy losses, and having a complicated myomectomy for the fibroids in 2002, I didn’t heed the suggestions for diet and exercise changes and gained a bit more weight. In 2003 I converted over from being considered just “insulin resistant” to full-fledged type 2 diabetes (note – I also had gestational diabetes during one of the pregnancies).

Now, for the good news and reason to jump on diet and exercise changes right away (with doctor approval of course!)… there is lots of research out there that suggests that type 2 diabetes can be prevented (or at least held off for a while) by making healthy lifestyle changes. Also, when I finally really got my butt in gear this year, changed my eating behaviors permanently, started a regular exercise program (both strength & cardio) and lost 40 lbs, I was able to decrease my diabetes medications in half, with hopes that if I kept it up and lost a bit more to get closer to my ideal weight that I may be able to go off diabetes meds altogether (unfortunately with all the pain I’ve been in lately I haven’t been able to workout much… will have to wait until after my hyst to get back in the routine). I also reduced my cholesterol and triglyceride levels significantly and noticed a decrease in PCOS related skin tags …but alas, the facial hair thing for me continues to be an issue (when I don’t wax, tweezers and the Finishing Touch personal shaver are my friends…lol).

I really wished someone had impressed upon me just how crucial making healthy lifestyle changes were… and even when I became more aware of it I spent way too long in “denial”, and my health suffered for it. As Chris suggested, seeing a dietician is a great idea; and exercise is crucial (in my opinion and based on my conversations with various docs, research, etc.). Reminder… please do not start a new exercise program or make significant changes in diet until discussing with your doctor.

I’m slated to be scheduled for a TAH/BSO in September (in process of getting insurance approvals, etc)…I have very problematic fibroids and cysts, lots of adhesions… and it possible that there may be some other things going on in there… will not know until the gyn onc does the surgery.

My gyn reminded me a couple weeks ago that even though I’ll be getting my ovaries removed, that doesn’t mean that all PCOS related issues will be resolved… she said obviously I won’t have to deal with all the ovarian cyst problems, but there will still hormonal imbalances related to PCOS. Although I haven’t done it, I have considered seeing a regular endocrinologist to really check into everything that is going on with my hormones, particularly when facing surgical menopause… to seeing if there is anything recommended to help balance things out (for the PCOS, diabetes, menopause).

Hope this helped.

~ Lisa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register