LSH Concerned something maybe wrong | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned something maybe wrong Concerned something maybe wrong

Unread 11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Concerned something maybe wrong

So I am at day 10 post op. I am healing fairly well, moving around and trying normal life with restrictions. But......I am worried something is wrong with my bowels. At day 4 I got HORRIBLE stomach cramps and diahrea and wound up needing fluids via IV and while there found out my temperature was 102 and they ran test and stocked it up to the flu. That was last Friday and on Tuesday I started to feel better and was feeling normal minus the soreness. Wednesday I was really tired all day long and the cramping started again, bad cramping like I had diahrea but I didn't it was just a (TMI) a mucusy paste like texture with some blood in it but I am thinking that is more from the acid in it irritating me downthere???? And it has let down and today I have started to run a fever again....its low right now 99.3 but I have also noticed pressure and soreness running up my side as well.........is this a normal "adjustment" for the bowels and their new room or is this something I should maybe be talking to the doctor about sooner than my 2 week post op visit???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Re: Concerned something maybe wrong

If you are not feeling well, yes, you should talk to your doctor prior to your 2 week appointment. The fever is worrisome. Get back to us with what you find out.
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Let your doctor know about the mucus and blood in your stool. You may need antibiotics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2011, 09:21 PM

I wouldn't wait until appointment. This does NOT sound normal.
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM

I would agree t1ghtwad - call your doctor as soon as possible. You may have to talk to the on-call doctor, but I wouldn't wait. She or he may refer you to the ER or tell you when to come in. The symptoms you are describing don't sound typical and the fever and pain raise some urgency.
Unread 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM

You may have an infection internally.
Please GO to your doctor's office. If he/she claims they are too busy to see you, go to the emergency room.
Better safe than sorry.
Persistent fever with severe pain and bloody stools are worrisome.
Please go ASAP.

You may need an I.V. antibiotic.
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:16 AM

Hello. I had my hysterectomy 10-21. By the 6th day I was having terrible pain in my bowel. It turns out I didn't get my prescription filled for stool softeners. My fault. I was hurting so badly that I felt like I was trying to pass a brick the size of a football. I would highly recommend taking the stool softeners and if you need any additional help try the Miralax. It is a great product. It really helped me. I also recommend a soft diet the first week. I never have had constipation problems but the surgery shocked my bowel and it has been slow to recover. I hope this helps you, all the best.
Unread 11-04-2011, 08:02 AM

You should call your doc.

It is possible that you've got a viral infection of some sorts.............could be a stomach ailment caused by giardia or some kind of parasite.

It could also be something related to your surgery. Don't take any chances and wait it out.
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM

blood in stool no good ... low fever ... i say call u Dr. !

Hope u have atleast by now, GL hope u feel better soon.
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM

I just got back and found out that I have an infection on the top of cervix where the uterus was amputated and being that the bowels are right there they are VERY irrated.....so antibotics 3x a day and I go back in Monday and it things aren't better than I have to be in the hopsital on IV meds till it clears up.....here is hoping the pills work their magic and my tummy calms down!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register