Should i push myself a little - 4 weeks post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should i push myself a little - 4 weeks post hysterectomy Should i push myself a little - 4 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 04-09-2014, 03:10 AM
Should i push myself a little - 4 weeks post hysterectomy

I am so confused about how i should be feeling and what i should be doing, Its now 4 weeks since my op and i am still taking occasional paracetamol for the pain but trying to just take it when i feel i need it. i am now starting to worry that in 2 weeks i will be going back to work and how am i going to cope. yesterday i did some ironing for the first time, about 30 mins by which time i had to stop as i had lower pelvic ache, apart from that i had done a couple of loads of laundry and hung it out and just the odd bit of pottering. Today i have promised by daughter i will take her into town, going on the bus, but i am scared, what if i get there and i can't cope, should i be doing this anyway,it's been 4 weeks i have to start sometime, maybe i am just getting a little house bound and i should push myself to do this today? i just don't know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2014, 04:15 AM
Re: Should i push myself a little - 4 weeks post hysterectomy

Hi
Firstly I think this 6week expectation can be unrealistic, you may or may not be ready for work then,you will only know when you reach that point.I think a bus journey to town could be too much as well,I had a different op but these are things that can be quite tiring at the best of times.The 30 mins ironing is a no no as well,as I think you discovered after.If you have to return to work in two weeks,my advice would be to use this time for resting up,with smaller expectations.4weeks is nothing really,and you still have a lot of healing to do yet.Maybe a more scaled down outing with your daughter without the bus ride? I know what its like to want to get back to normal things,and you will,just be kind to yourself.Good luck
Unread 04-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Re: Should i push myself a little - 4 weeks post hysterectomy

Life gets better! I was still having ibuprofen and a daily sleep until into week 5, and considered extending my time off work, then felt much better, and returned to work at week 6, tired the first week, better the next, much better now. Go out, enjoy the outing, stop for rests/ coffee breaks during your time out, and rest well the next day or two. The next outing will be easier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: should i push myself

Every person heals differently, but if you are still feeling washed after a little bit, dont push through. I am 5.5 weeks post laparoscopic total hysterectomy and I got bored. I have 2 small kids (3 & 4) and a small orchard to tend. I felt normal while resting so I went to tend my yard. Felt dizzy and....unsettled I guess is the way to say it. I pushed through, and after my post op appointment Monday, I'm on 6 more weeks of rest, because my internal inscision hasn't healed as it should and I am still spotting. Now, I was not smart- I picked up kids before the 6 weeks and tried to dig an irrigation ditch ( very dumb, I know) but your body knows its own limits. Don't ignore it. Just my personal opinion.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register