anxious and moody pre op hysterectomy 18 feb | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anxious and moody pre op hysterectomy 18 feb anxious and moody pre op hysterectomy 18 feb

Unread 02-08-2015, 02:36 AM
anxious and moody pre op hysterectomy 18 feb

Hi all. I am from new Zealand. Having my op on the public surgical list on 18 Feb 2015. Feeling moody and think it's anxiety regarding the op recovery. I am having a vaginal hysterectomy, vault suspension and tvt bladder sling, maybe a sacrospinous fixation if the ligament needs it. ...the surgeon says she'll decide one in there.

Feeling worried about my recovery. I am 39, have an 8 year old girl ,5 year old boy, and 2 year old girl, who has down syndrome. She still needs lots of help and feeling anxious how i.wil cope after the op. l still need to lift her lots as she's only just started walking . The other kids are really helpful but feeling worried about asking them to do too much.
I know it will work out but can't stop worrying. It's making me low on mood and grumpy but I think it is just my nervousness. Anyone else feel like pulling out of the op ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Re: anxious and moody pre op hysterectomy 18 feb

I don't feel like pulling out of mine, as I am hoping and praying this fixes my current pain issues...but i am very anxious. From what I have read on here, that seems pretty normal. I wish I had some good tips and advice, but I haven't had my surgery yet. I know some of the other ladies will help out with that. But, you are not alone with those feelings. I am 39 too, but my kids are old enough to pull some extra weight while mom is recovering.
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM

Yeah I won't pull out. Just need to keep myself busy till the operation on the 18 Feb ! Distraction will be the key I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Kbarbs,
I completely understand your concerns. I am a 40yo mother of 2...17yo teenager and a 12yo daughter with cerebral palsy. I have put this surgery off for more than a year mostly out of fear and concern for my daughter. I am her full-time caretaker but fortunately I have my son and husband to help. I am in the process of securing some nursing services for her while I recover.
Is there anyone else that you can ask to help out, family/friends? Could there be services for special needs children that might provide nursing services? I know these types of services are not available everywhere.
Hang in there and know that you are not alone.
Unread 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM

I am 17 days away from my surgery and my emotions have been all over the place. One day I'm all in and can't wait, the next day I'm terrified and ready to cancel. I'm running out of things to do to keep me busy. I am premaking about 2 weeks worth of meals that the hubby can just throw into the oven, but that will only fill up one day. It natural to be anxious about surgery. However I'm finding this one to be amped up 100% over my other surgeries. I think it maybe because there are so many unknowns following this type of surgery. Will it take away the pain? How will menopause be for me? So many variables that we don't have control over. As women, we don't like to not be in control to some degree. I ask my self each day if this is all worth it. We all will react differently, for me I feel the more informed I am the more prepared I can be and there for feeling prepared has a calkming effect.
Focus on what you do have control over rather than what you don't. Prepare your recovery space to be as comfortable as possible. Have plenty of options of things to do while your laid up (Netflix, crafts, books I even got a few coloring books for fun) I'm also are cooking some meals, I'm putting together a care box with my medications, stool softener, body wipes etc. I'm also getting my house ready for the friends and family that will helping to take care of me. Do whatever you need to do to keep your mind busy. I login here a lot, especially late at night.

KastCom
Unread 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy next Tuesday. I do not feel like pulling out but I am terrified of, post op pain, recovery, surgery.....everything! I have an 8yr old boy that is medically fragile and requires total care. I am worried if everyone is going to come together and help me, or how I will manage my kiddo. Hang in there, it has to get better, right?!
Unread 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
anxious and moody pre op hysterectomy 18 feb

It natural to feel this way, you have a lot on your hands. Your going to have a long recovery so, I would considure getting some help, may be a nanny, or a family member can help you. You can't risk your life lifting your daughter after surgery, you rupture everything inside, and this can be deadly. I had a vaginal hysterectomy, and I'm 3 weeks post op. My body has gone through a lot of changes, i have hot flashes night sweats, mood swings, nausea and difficulties with my bowls in the beginning. It has changed around now but I'm still feeling it a lot. Your body will require lots of rest, so please get some help. I hope your doctor have told you what to expect, if not please seek advice on here. Good luck in your hysterectomy .
Unread 02-11-2015, 04:25 AM

Thanks ladies. Had final anaethetist appt and bloods today. Getting excited now about finally having it done tomorrow I have assessment with the team that assesses my daughter for carers help hours,so hopefully they may give me some temporary help hours for few weeks. I do have friends and family that will be great helps tho. Just nervous about recovery time frames. Good luck everyone .

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register