3 mo post op. - will the ledge ever go away | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 mo post op. - will the ledge ever go away 3 mo post op. - will the ledge ever go away

Unread 09-06-2011, 08:07 AM
3 mo post op. - will the ledge ever go away

Okay, I'm three months post-op on the 9th. I still have this 'ledge' where my incision was. Also, I'm still having swelly belly.

To those sister who are further along: will this ever go away?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Re: 3 mo post op. - will the ledge ever go away

It does go away!!! It just takes time. I really thought I was completely done with the swelly belly, but then I over did it this weekend and it came back...only for a day and then it was gone again.

Just remember, it can take up to a year to be COMPLETELY healed, so don't get too frustrated! It is just going to take some time!

I guess, I don't know what you mean when you say the ledge above your incision??
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM

It's this hangover of skin that wasn't there until the incision was made. My tissue is still hard. I'm been treating it wit scar gel but it has yet to soften.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2011, 08:26 AM

hmmm...not sure on that one, I didn't have that at all. I can feel some hard tissue behind my incision, but nothing terrible. I would maybe ask your what is going on with that and if there is something you could do to make it go away. Good luck to you!
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Have you been massaging it to soften the tissue? I had a horrible "ledge" after my surgery and for the most part, it is pretty flat now. It is about 98% flat on one side and about 90% flat on the other. Massaging the scar helps keep it soft and pliable. Some of the ledge is caused because of the scar being tight so anything you do like moisturizing it and massaging it will help. And like another poster said, it takes time. A lot of time. Keep eating well and exercising and you should eventually be okay with the way it looks.
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM

I've got the 'ledge' too, and I really hate the way it looks. I've lost 10 lbs. since surgery and in my clothes I look slimmer than I have in a long time, even with the swelly belly... but when I look at myself naked in the mirror I'm grossed out. I'm only a month out and I was really hoping it would go away SOON.

Danni - How soon should I start massaging that area? It's still sore and a little numb, so I generally don't touch it if I can help it.
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:09 PM

I have the ledge too and one side above the incision is lumpy looking. Most of the incision is hard at this point . My ob/gyn looked at it at my 2 week post-op and said it looked okay but I don't like how it looks. I have lost about 20 pounds since surgery and everyone says I look great....I have no clothes that fit but that is a story for another day. I have my 6 week follow up on the 20th and I am going to ask my doctor about how it looks and feels again.
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:44 AM

Janet - Yeah, I'm wearing the same two dresses (and one skirt) over and over again because nothing else fits. It would be really nice if I could fit into my work clothes when I go back to work in two weeks...
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:15 AM

I developed a ledge too after my 2nd c section 22 years ago, it wasnt bad, but never could get rid of it, even when i overdid exercise and was underweight for a time ,

Then after my tubes and ovary were taken out 2 1/2 years ago, it left a terrible ledge, and one side of scar was worse then other.

Now Ive had everything taken away and its still there.
You may be lucky, ive heard massaging the area may help, but ive never been able to stick to that.

Hope you have more luck
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM

I started massaging it gently at about 4 weeks post-op. Check with your doctor though. If you look for scar or c-section massage on youtube, there are a couple of videos that give you an idea on how to start. The slight swelling above the incision that I have left might not go away completely but for me, it has sure improved to the point I can live with it. Mind you, it has taken months and months for it to get where it is now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register