Anesthetic Used | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anesthetic Used Anesthetic Used

Unread 04-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Anesthetic Used

I am having a TAH SAO on May 9 for adenomyosis. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with your surgeries and what type of anesthic are they going to use. My doctor has suggested epidural and I added sedation. I had an epidural with my 1st c-section and it was fine, my 2nd c-section was a spinal and it didn't work, I felt the surgery, so I am a bit terrified if you could imagine. What are your experiences??? Oh, my doc also told me they can leave the epidural in for 24hours after surgery. I could immediatley see the benefits there. No morphine needed. Just wondering... Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Anesthetic Used

I had the epidural, and althought all that was new to me, I am glad I went through with it versus general anesthesia. I didnt have mine left in and I was fine without it. You can either be awake or put completely out. I started out semi awake, but asked to be put into la la land soon after the surgery started. If I ever have to have surgery again (this was my first) I am going the same route. No nausea, headaches, or ill feelings. I was up walking some the night of my surgery. I wasnt given morophine. Just some Torodol the first day and Percoset after that. Having surgery this way definiately has its benefits. To me, its the way to go!
Good luck!!
Unread 04-30-2002, 07:19 PM
Anesthetic Used

Hi there.

I was pretty calm pre-surgery but one of my biggest pre-surgery fears was about the anesthesia. I had a c-section 19 years ago for which I had a spinal. It was great - I was awake and didn't feel a thing!

Prior to my TAH, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to be awake or not. My fear was that if I were put to sleep I might never wake up again (happened to an acquaintance years ago in elementary school and it's just stuck with me since then). I talked with a lot of people, including family members who had been put to sleep for surgery, and decided that the risk was very low and the science had improved significantly since my elementary school years. I decided on the general anesthesia (good thing, because when I met with the anesthesiologist he didn't give me much of a choice!).

I'm so glad I made the decision I did. I went into the O.R., and all I remember was they put the lovely shower cap-type hat on me and an oxygen mask. Then I woke up and it was finished!

I felt that this way I just had to deal with the recovery after the surgery and not the surgery too. If I had to do it over again, I'd do it exactly the same way.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

All the best to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 07:21 PM
Anesthetic Used

Hi, Sue,

I had spinal anesthesia with sedation, which was wonderful. There's good news for you: The medical profession has really improved all types of anesthesia, in the past few years. If you had a bad experience with anesthesia in the past, things have gotten a lot better.

You may want to ask this question on the Post-op Forum, where women who have already had surgery are more likely to see it.

Good luck with your surgery.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:50 PM
Anesthetic Used

ok, i am going to show just how dumb i can be here, but are you saying that you can be awake while having the surgery??? including abdominal incision???? I don't know if that is terrifying or a relief..... just one more question to add to my already long list for pre-op appt.
Unread 04-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Anesthetic Used

Hi, Chatty_Cathy,

Yes, you do have the option of being aware of what's going on during your surgery, if you have an epidural or spinal anesthesia.

Or, if you're like me, and don't want to see and hear your surgery, you can choose heavy sedation, with an epidural or spinal anesthesia.

I chose heavy sedation, with my spinal anesthesia. I remember the anesthesiologist putting "something to help me relax" into my IV, in the pre-op waiting area. Next, I woke up in the recovery room. I can't remember anything about my surgery, and that's just fine with me!

There are several options with anesthesia, and I'll mention again that all types of anesthesia have improved recently.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:39 AM
anesthetic used

Thanks to all of you who posted. I think my experience with the spinal not working was due to an inexperienced doctor or just a very bad doctor because it was only last year and several other c-sections that day reported the same problems. I did find out I can request not to have her, actually I would refuse to let her do it. I think requesting heavy sedation will be what I want. I know from the c-sections and being wide awake, there is a lot of noise and talk I really don't need to here. Thanks again... Counting down the days...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register