Who has had a vaginal ultrasound? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who has had a vaginal ultrasound? Who has had a vaginal ultrasound?

Unread 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Re: Who has had a vaginal ultrasound?

Hi Maggielynn,
It's not bad at all. I've had 3 this year -one tech was a little better than the other but no pain. Well, a tiny little bit of discomfort trying to view an ovary that wasn't where they thought it should be. Pain, no.

I agree with Duckwalker - had to "clean up"afterwards too! Ewww - TMI!

Good luck tomorrow. Don't worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM

The sono tech who did mine (I've had several and the procedure was the same each time) had me insert the probe myself - very easy, like a large smooth tampon. There is no discomfort what-so-ever. You may feel a little pressure as she moves the probe around - but no pain.

It's nothing at all like an endometrial biopsy. I had one too at an earlier time and I vowed I would never have one again unless I was sedated. Now it's no longer an issue as I have no uterus, but the point is that a vaginal sono and a biopsy are not remotely alike.

Relax and good luck!
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM

No pain at all. Worst part for me was the technician asked my husband if he wanted to watch the screen so he came in (no big deal) then the Dr. came in with his Fellow and 2 docs in training. Mind you, other than my husband I had not met these people b-4 that day. So there I am with my hubby and 5 strangers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM

I guess I am a minority...Mine was awful.

I hurt for three months afterwards. Because of the size and number of fibroids I have, the tech disrupted what the fibroids were used too . Also, my tech was a fool. She was trying to impress the trainee she had in the room and determine to find my ovaries. I had to make her stop.

My biopsy was a surprise. The Dr asked if I wanted to do it then or reschedule to come back. I did not want another co-payment. He warned of the pain...and yep he was right.
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:32 PM

No pain. Just uncomfortable having a complete stranger insert anything in that area Only thing I felt was mild pressure.
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Tell the tech you just had a biopsy. I was so sore down there after my biopsy for about 5-6 days. That alone may make it pretty tender for you.

There were some very painful spots during my transvaginal ultrasound. I bled and spotted for two days after mine. So, it depends on what your problems are.

Really, the "wand" is like a dildo. It's not real thick but it is long. So be sure to tell them as soon as possible if you're uncomfortable at all, because they are moving it around inside you and can't feel what you feel.

I think as long as you communicate with the tech, you should be fine. Most techs are pretty sensitive about listening to you when they do that.

Take care!
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shydivah View Post
I guess I am a minority...Mine was awful.

I hurt for three months afterwards. Because of the size and number of fibroids I have, the tech disrupted what the fibroids were used too . Also, my tech was a fool. She was trying to impress the trainee she had in the room and determine to find my ovaries. I had to make her stop.

My biopsy was a surprise. The Dr asked if I wanted to do it then or reschedule to come back. I did not want another co-payment. He warned of the pain...and yep he was right.
I'm impressed that your doc admitted it would hurt. Mine did too.

The ultrasound wand pressure can be uncomfortable at times when they push against the inner walls to try and get a clear picture. I found it less uncomfortable than a pap but I can see how it might affect present issues.
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM

I've had two transvaginal ultrasounds and I didn't mind them at all. Both times the techs had me insert the wand. No pain at all.

Now biopsies of my endometrial lining while I'm awake ......... I squawk really loudly!!!! Those things are horrible!!

Good luck to you with your test and future treatments. ~~Starrynight
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah - I'm heading to Dr. in a couple of hours for pre-op apptment to talk about everything - keep or not keep ovaries, etc. Plus had a biopsy that don't have results back yet - if its not good, may delay if my Dr. sends me to Oncology Dr. Hoping not!!!
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:07 PM

I didn't really feel pain, only pressure. It was not that bad.

I've had 2 biopsies. The first one hurt quite a bit. It was "on the spot" and I was unprepared (no painkillers ahead of time). But the second time, it was only slightly more intense than a pap smear.

Hope all goes well for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register