Right after surgery scares! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Right after surgery scares! Right after surgery scares!

Unread 07-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Right after surgery scares!

Hi I have only posted one other thread other than this one I am due to have my hysterectomy Thursday July 19th. I have other family and friends that have gone though a hysterectomy but its all been so long for them. My questions are for the day of your surgery right after everyone tells me once i wake up from surgery i will lose that entire day due to the fact that they keep you so sedated with pain medication. I am the kind of women that I have to keeep track of everything and have control of everything so I am very worried about not knowing what kind of reaction i will have to the pain meds. Also I am having a hysterectomy assisted by a laparoscope and i also hear that I will be filled with tons of gas and that is also very painful if you could please tell me your incite and some experiences that would be wonderful thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Re: Right after surgery scares!

ckhyster -

Those pre-surgery fears are rough ones.

I had a daVinci surgery. Once I got through recovery and into my room I remember everything. I did not lose a day; I was released the next morning. For me my Dr got pretty much all the gas out. I had a feeling like I had a vaccination in my upper right arm. It took me awhile to realize that it was a gas pain.

Remember we are all different so 'your mileage may vary.'

Unread 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM

I'm also the kind of person who prefers to be in control of things. When they wheeled me into the operating room, the nurse said she was giving me something to calm me down while I moved over to the operating table. I looked around for a few moments, wondered what would happen next, then woke up in recovery. I think I was out of surgery a bit less than an hour before I was wide awake. I wasn't groggy at all. Luckily, I wasn't in a lot of pain, so the morphine drip was enough for me and I only had to click the button for more a couple of times, so I wasn't too loopy from the meds. I'd recommend having someone you trust completely hang out with you at the hospital so you can relax enough to take as much pain meds as you need to control the pain. Everyone reacts differently to surgery, so don't deny yourself if you need it.

The gas from the procedure wasn't fun. I've never had an abdominal incision, but I think the pain from gas is a good trade off for avoiding the muscle damage of a big incision. Getting up and moving as soon as I could and as often as I could really helped the gas work its way out of my system. Again, everyone reacts differently, and "normal" is a very broad range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2012, 07:33 AM

My surgery was at 10AM. I was out of surgery at 12. I woke up between 3-4 pm and was up pretty much the rest of the day watching tv wth my hubby. But I did not need the pain meds, I didnt have any pain at all.
Unread 07-14-2012, 07:54 AM

I've had numerous lap surgeries (history of infertility and mild endo) and I can tell you that my LAVH was the same as those other lap surgeries as far as gas goes. They fill your tummy with gas to have your organs move away so they can see. Now, the first day when you wake up in recovery, you will be groggy and talking a little - for me I was in mild cramping type pain and I told them over and over (I remember it) and they assured me they were getting it under control. Fast forward a bit and I'm in my room seeing hubby and hearing how surgery went - at this point, you could have whoever is with you take notes so you can read it later. I was on a morphine pump for 24 hours - trust me, you will not know what all is going on with that pump but you won't be in any pain either or shouldn't be. I was not allowed to get up for 24 hours and I slept off an on through all of it. I didn't have much pain from the surgery gas and when I did, it was in my back and right shoulder. To me it's not the worst pain ever unless you try to lay flat. My gas discomfort was gone in 2-3 days. For me, my bladder and bowels were more of an issue with trying to wake up and get going. I had a cath for 24 hours and my bladder didn't know how to work so I had to have a re-cath (just drain and out not to stay) and then I had to work at it for a couple of days to get it going. I read in the hints section to use a straw when trying to go. Gently blow into the straw and believe it or not, you will pee! Unfortunately I don't know how your bowels will respond but mine hit me with gas and a bowel movement at once and wasn't too fun. But the good news is that it WILL get better and you will get comfortable again. I know it's hard because I was one anxious ball but try and think positive about it and not get too anxious. And if you want to ask me anything directly after your surgery please mssg me. I will be glad to chat you through some of it! Best wishes and your date is my birthday!

Edited to add warm blankets on your tummy while in the hospital and a heating pad to sleep with helps with bladder or crampy pain. My nurses were good to keep one on me at all times.
Unread 07-14-2012, 08:36 AM

I am also a bit of a "control freak". However, I never once felt out of control when I woke up...I remember everything. My pain was well managed both in post-op and when I got up to my room. The pain meds made me sleepy.....but I recall everything. In fact, when my dr. did her rounds that evening, I asked for my cath to be taken out. She looked at me like I was nuts.....asked if I understood that I would have to get up to use the restroom....and I said yep! I spent the rest of the night teetering to the bathroom.

I have also had several lap. surgeries...and this one was by far the easiest on the "gas pains". I remember being doubled over after my appendectomy with the shoulder pain....this time....NONE that is worthy of mentioning. I don't know how I got lucky.....maybe having the cath out and getting moving early helped.
Unread 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM

I had Davinci surgery on Monday, I woke up in recovery and the only pain I could feel was the catheter that was still in. I was wide awake when I went to my room and didn't sleep any that day. I was uncomfortable from the catheter, like a strong urge to urinate. They took it out that afternoon around 6 and I got up and went to the bathroom. Getting my underwear and my own gown on made me feel lots better. My advice about the gas pain is to take Gas-X to the hospital with you. I did and started taking it that afternoon when I noticed a little pressure in my chest/shoulders. It helped alot! I have had a really easy time of it, doing great. Hope yours goes well for you!
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Thank you guys all for your stories it relieved me a lot! How long were you guys in the hospital for ?
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Right after surgery scares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKhyster View Post
Thank you guys all for your stories it relieved me a lot! How long were you guys in the hospital for ?
Just overnight. Had it Monday morning, was at home before lunch on Tuesday.
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM

One 1/2 days for me. My bladder not working right delayed us going home for about 6 hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register