What was I thinking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What was I thinking? What was I thinking?

Unread 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM
What was I thinking?

I am starting to wonder why I did this. I had the Davinci yesterday and I feel like hell. I can't sleep. If I try to lay down, I can't breathe and I get this horrible pain in my chest and shoulder. I feel like I was hit by a truck. I was not expecting this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Re: What was I thinking?

It gets better, Sweetheart, and very, very soon.
Right now, you still have anesthesia drugs and Co2 clearing your system (the Co2 is what's causing that outrageous pain in your chest and shoulders- they don't tell you that what they call "some soreness" is actually a medically induced case of what divers call "The Bends"- it was the worst part of my recovery but it passed pretty quickly.
Walk around for a few minutes every time you feel like you can and drink lots of warm things- tea, coffee, hot cider, broth and avoid chilled or carbonated drinks (especially carbonated).
I know right now you're tempted to take a box cutter to your shoulders to relieve that mind bogglingly sharp pressure but I swear to you- it won't last long.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Oh bless you! I'm in so much pain right now I want to cry. I am sitting up and I feel like I have to fart but I can't. I took some Gas X earlier and 800mgs of Ibuprofen about 15 minutes ago. I feel like I'm going to die and I wonder why I even did this. I know I had to do it but I wish I didn't feel this way. All the ads and doctors made it sound like it was a breeze.
My upper belly is also sore. Ironically my vagina is not. It seems like my fallopian tubes and upper belly hurt way more than where my uterus was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Drink lots of room temperature water. Peeing helps clear the body of anesthesia and meds. You will feel like you've been hit by a truck for a few days but it does get better. Take your pain meds as prescribed around the clock - that helps keep on top of the pain. Sleep when you can, walk when you can. I'm sorry you're having a hard time - call your doctor if it doesn't get better.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM

My doctor used the perfect statement....."this is an assualt on your body". That is so true! I had a TAH but have had numerous other surgeries and that gas that has to move through and out your body is CRAZY!!! Moving around will help but it's hard to do that when you just want to curl up and not move a muscle. Hang in there, it really will get better everyday, but not as quickly as we'd like.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:42 PM

It gets better i promise! The first few days are the worst. Make sure you are being completely honest about your pain levels so that they can help you with it.
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM

Hi! I promise it gets better. I am on day 17 (davinci) and it gets so much easier. What helped me the most was getting up and moving. Even if its only for a minute or two, try to walk in the house. By day 8 I was out with MIL to lunch and a movie. By day 11 I ventured to the mall alone. By day 13 i was back working a couple of hours a day. Just listen to your body. I still have days of being really tired, like yesterday. But today was a good day, although tonight I am sore a little bit. But nothing major. Good luck! You will do great!!!
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Thank you my Princess Friends! I had a deep end moment where I let the pain get to my head. I didn't keep on top of my meds like I should have. Right now I have a sharp pain in my shoulder so it has to be that air. It just has to be. That is the only thing that can explain the upper stomach pain, the bloating and the shoulder pain. I hate to sound crude but I would pay money to pass gas and have a bowel movement!
It just seems like when you're in the moment, it feels like it will never get better. My tongue is sore from the tube and I also noticed my neck is sore. I just learned that is from the way the position our heads to access our airways during surgery. It just helps to know that there is so much understanding, love, and support on here! Thank you!
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Gargle with some warm salt water a few times a day- it'll help your tongue and throat recover from that stupid tube faster.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register