Any teachers out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any teachers out there? Any teachers out there?

Unread 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Any teachers out there?

My LSH is scheduled for Jan. 17, and I am completely freaking out! I teach 2nd grade, and there's just so much to get done before I go. Unfortunately, my brain isn't working so well. I feel like I'm in a panic. All I can think of is the surgery and how much there is to do, but I can't seem to concentrate well enough to get the work done. Does anyone have any advice for calming down and/or preparing my class for a 4 to 6 week absence?
Kimba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Any teachers out there?

I'm not a teacher but my DD is, She teaches high school physics.
There is a thread in the Friends Without Faces forum here called "Teachers Unite " where you can read posts from other teachers. Maybe you can get some ideas there.

You can find the thread here:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...Teachers+Unite
Or you can do a search ( search button is near the top right of each page ) with teachers as the subject.
Best wishes.

S
Unread 01-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Any teachers out there?

I teach 3rd grade. Thankfully I had my TVH scheduled 2 weeks before x-mas break so I had 4 weeks before I had to think about going back and only had to do sub plans for 2. It was not easy. Good Luck! I had a great surgery and good recovery, still have a few minor problems, but I am going back on the 8th and looking forward to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Any teachers out there?

Dear Kimba, My surgery isn't until 2/9, but I am planning on having little surprises tucked away for the children (to be given at the sub's discretion) just to let them know I am thinking of them. I have a book that I would normally read aloud after recess recorded on tape for them. I will probably try to get at least one more book on tape for them prior to my Castle visit. My Valentine's for them will each have a short personal message for each child. (ie. I can't wait to hear about...something the child enjoys sharing with me) They know I won't be with them for a while, but I am stressing to them that they are going to have lots of fun and learn a great deal in my absence. They know I am excited to find out what special things they will be doing in class. I am hoping to send a note to the class once a week just to let them know I miss them and am thinking of them. I am keeping busy making lesson/activity packets for them. Perhaps if you have a sub you like to have in your class, you can request her/him now if you haven't already done so. If your curriculum hasn't undergone major changes and you taught 2nd grade last year, perhaps you can utilize some of last year's lesson plans. I am hoping to talk with the children via speaker phone a few times during my absence--perhaps doing our morning routine with them over the phone if it is convienent for the sub. As far as keeping calm, I am focusing on a positive surgical outcome, and a future filled with much more energy and health. Thinking of things I'd like to be able to do with my own family and my school family helps alleviate some of the stress of being a lady-in-waiting-- sometimes. Hope you can find something you can use in this. I'm sorry it got to be so long! Best Wishes! GabbyLuna
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Any teachers out there?

Hi,

I know how you feel. I found the preparation for the sub to be the hardest part. It was impossible to be as specific as I wanted with my plans because six weeks is a long time, but I did the best I could. I missed a lot of the holiday hoopla before the winter break. I'm taking 6 weeks because I want to be fully healed when I go back. I really miss the kids, but I know that I will be a better teacher when I go back because I won't be in pain each month. I've sent them letters and candy canes before the vacation just to keep in touch. I know how hard it is, but they'll be fine. Focus on your healing!
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Any teachers out there?

Kimba,

I forgot to mention that telling my class was the hardest part! I kept putting it off, hoping I'd feel strong and unemotional. I told them on a Friday and my last day was the following Tuesday. It was a very awkward moment when I told them I would be out because of surgery. I broke down and started crying and they all gasped in unison! I really didn't want to cry in front of them, but I couldn't help it. They are one of my favorite classes ever. I will always remember that moment. It was very bittersweet.
Unread 01-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Any teachers out there?

Thank you for your responses ladies! I haven't told my kids yet. I'm planning to on Monday -- really not looking forward to that. I love the idea of doing the books on tape. That way it won't be like I'm gone forever. I have a great sub, and I told her to call me anytime. It's not like I'll be doing anything after the first few days. I have such a good class this year. I think God must have known this was coming and picked out a good group for me. Unfortunately, this is my first year in 2nd grade, so I have no previous lesson plans. We also don't have a math book, so that makes for some difficult planning. I work with some really good teachers, so I know they'll try to help my sub as much as possible. I'm sure it will be okay, but the stress of it all is making me crazy!
Kimba
Unread 01-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Know what you mean!

Hi Kimba,

I also teach second grade, well, first and second together in a multiage group. Down Under it is still our long Summer Holidays and we go back at the very end of Jan to a new class. Although I knew I would be taking at least three weeks of term time before the end of the last school year, It was decided not to announce my absence as we have some very negative parents at this year level. They expect teachers to be robots who never get sick and certainly don't have a life outside school! So my replacement will actually be doing the whole setting up thing. I trust her implicitly but am really sad about not being able to establish this new class myself. I have prepared as much as I can including doing the new door posters etc and I've made my sub her own little display book with all the stuff I like to start the school year with. The junior team have done our "big picture" planning already so I have passed that on too.
My plan is to get fully functional before I go back so that I can do an excellent job. If that takes more than the time I have already booked, then I'll take it.
Good Luck with your surgery and recovery,
Sue
Unread 01-06-2007, 04:24 AM
calming down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba
My LSH is scheduled for Jan. 17, and I am completely freaking out! I teach 2nd grade, and there's just so much to get done before I go. Unfortunately, my brain isn't working so well. I feel like I'm in a panic. All I can think of is the surgery and how much there is to do, but I can't seem to concentrate well enough to get the work done. Does anyone have any advice for calming down and/or preparing my class for a 4 to 6 week absence?
Kimba
I'm a teacher, but university level, not elementary. However, I did teach public high school for 8 years, so I have empathy for what you are trying to do. I remember how difficult it was to plan for just one day of sick leave or a week, and I can't imagine doing it for 6 wks. in the 1st year I taught the grade level/or subjects in my case.

Try to find out if there compromises that could be made. For example: I would certainly ask my team teachers if they could share old lesson plans with me to help me. Do you have a parent volunteer who could make copies & do other tasks to take some of the right-now pressure off of you? If there are no parent vols at your school, are there some education majors at a local university who would be able to come in and help out? [This is a slow time for univ. students & they always need extra $$, even a little bit. Or, if you can't pay, it would look great on a resume for them.] Is it possible to prepare only 3 weeks worth of work now and then send in the last 3 weeks later after you're home and post-op? It's worth asking. There are probably other options I've not even thought of, but if you brainstorm you could think of some.

I know exactly how you feel right now as I finished the semester on a Friday, had to figure grades and post them before my Wed. surgery. I actually had it planned that I would wrap up the end of the semester on a Monday&Tuesday and give my Finals on Thurs. & Friday. On Tuesday, I came to the crying conclusion that not only was I NOT superwoman, I couldn't possibly do everything. I cancelled the final exams and my students received the grades they had at the end of the term. Let me tell you, they were not saddened by the cancellation of a final exam. Many wrote emails and told me how thankful they were to have one less thing to do themselves.

I realize that my teaching situation is different, but I do understand the need for classroom plans. That's said as I sit here 3 1/2 wks post op with a kidney infection that has kept me awake all night long due to severe back pain, nausea and so forth. I've already prayed this will end soon, so I can get back to school and only miss the 1st full week of classes.

Hope it works out for you and know that we understand and are praying for you. Be blessed and take good care.
Unread 01-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Any teachers out there?

I am a high school music teacher and had to miss the last month of school due to my hyst. I had my hyst the morning after our spring concert. I tried to keep things "low key" about the surgery and just told the students in my 2 choruses. Well, didn't they give me flowers at the concert (as they always so kindly do)......and proceeded to tell the entire audience that I was having surgery and wouldn't be back the remainder of the year!! You have to love the innocense of these kids! The hardest part was having to miss our performance at graduation. I had those seniors for 7 years and then not to be there for the "walk across the stage". Trying to find a "music sub" is near impossible, so I had to write lesson plans that would suit the average sub. I even had a student conduct the graduation performance, as I didn't trust anyone else to walk in and take over the performance. It was no doubt stressful....but yet, I treated my recovery as a "vacation". No need for you to stress out about your class or students. As much as we hate to admit it.....they will survive without us. As teachers, we worry and worry and worry about our students...yet, they are so versatile and care-free....sometimes our worrying hurts us more than it does them.

As bad as the thought of surgery is....enjoy your recovery time. It may be the only time that you will get to enjoy....for YOU!!
Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register