Getting Prepared-Couple of Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Prepared-Couple of Questions Getting Prepared-Couple of Questions

Unread 03-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Getting Prepared-Couple of Questions

I am scheduled for a TAH on March 21st. What kind of "pillows" do I need to take? Liners, big ones, little ones, overnight ones? I have absolutely no idea.

Also, what kind of gas remedy is best? Beano or gas-x?

Any other last minute suggestions? Am getting real nervous. Had pre-op the other day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2007, 06:19 PM

What ever pads you will need while at the hospital will be provided. Many women don't need any. I have seen some women report some spotting for a few days, so liners would probably be adequate for that.

There are also a lot of women who claim relief from gas-x, but my Dr didn't want me to use anything. I didn't have any problem with moving gas though.

Have you read through our Hints for your Hysterectomy forum? There are a lot of things there that you may find helpful to your situation.

Best Wishes.
Kay
Unread 03-04-2007, 06:25 PM

I took gas X with me but I given something in my IV so I didn't need it. Ask your doctor if they will give you something in the hospital. I had absolutely NO gas pains. I took 2 regular size pillows with colored pillowcases. I also had a small travel size pillow to hold in case I coughed. In addition, I took small pads to use as a dressing over my incision. The ones they use at the hospital were too big. I also took a long back scratcher. It was great if I had an itch that I couldn't reach or if I had to reach something on my bedside table.Try to put the operation out of your mind as best you can. You have over two weeks that you can make yourself sick with worry. But you can try to file it in the back of your mind and relax a little so you can get ready. Freeze some meals, clean the house, organize your bedside so you will have what you need when you come home. Practice getting out of bed without using your stomach muscles! That's a fun one! Do something special for yourself to celebrate your road to recovery. It really starts now, before the operation! Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Take the time after your surgery to rest. I heard from a nurse that good rest is 30% more necessary when recuperating. Don't feel guilty about taking naps and asking for help. I had a LAVH on January 18 and feel really good. The first two weeks, I was surprised at how quickly I became exhausted. Take care!
Unread 03-04-2007, 07:43 PM

For gas...if the gas-x doesn't work...try sipping peppermint tea.

Good luck to you.
Unread 03-04-2007, 07:51 PM

The hospital provided me with pads and a pillow. Only used one pad. I did take a stuffed animal to cuddle with (trust me it helps)! I made meals that could be frozen for easy prep later, just plan on taking it easy.
Oh yea, when they get you up to walk, stand up...don't slouch. Slouching makes it harder to stand upright later!
You might want a vitamin E lotion or capsules to break open on your incision...but not until healed closed!
Good luck...you will be fine.
Unread 03-04-2007, 11:44 PM

The hospital actually gave me Gas-x while I was in and it helped. I did not take any pillows but used the ones in the hospital. The best advice everyone gives is rest, rest, rest and drink lots of water and walk when you can. I also prepared foods ahead of time to freeze and cleaned house. Good luck and best wishes. The waiting is the worse part.
Unread 03-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Gas X thin strips were the bomb. I didn't have too much problem with gas but I could feel them work almost immediately. I bought 3 boxes. I went through 2 of them the first week. I still have some left and only need them occasionally now.

The pillow at my hospital was thin and horrible. A nurse actually put a towel or 2 in mine and that helped. I would definitley take a pillow. Most hospital are stingy and only allow you one, which would have fine if it were a bit more fluffy. Maybe leave it in the car and have your dh or so get for you if you feel you need it.

Last but not least 2 things that I could not have lived without was bottled water and vanilla pudding. I went through about 5 bottles between 4pm and 11pm. The vanilla pudding was great and easy to go down. More importantly is cut the bitter taste left from anesthesia. I don't want to guess how much vanilla pudding I ate the first week. It will probably be along time before I eat it again, but it was priceless after surgery.

Good luck!

Sherri
Unread 03-05-2007, 01:57 PM

I used maybe 2 regular pads the first day after they removed my catheter. I was picky about which pads I used, so I chose to bring my own instead of using the bulky ones from the castle. After that, it was just panty liners for the pinkish discharge.

As for bringing real pillows to the hospital, I strongly discourage it. The castle is full of germs and you don't want to drag any home with your favorite pillow. I used theirs and then had mine in the car for the trip home.

I used gas-x and it worked fine.
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:46 PM

Thanks guys for all the information I've gotten so far. It has already helped!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register