Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy: help getting out of bed - bed wedge!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: help getting out of bed - bed wedge!!!! Upcoming hysterectomy: help getting out of bed - bed wedge!!!!

Unread 08-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: help getting out of bed - bed wedge!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturally View Post
DH used one after having several surgeries, and continued to do so. Now his posture if forward leaning.

I've wondered about a wedge, but wondered if the tummy "stays short" when it might be better to be relaxed and lengthen the muscles?????
That's a really good question - and not one I can answer, as I didn't use a wedge. However, I *can* tell you that it's important to spend some time each day after surgery walking in an upright position, *not* hunched over, and also sitting upright rather than reclining. The nurses at the hospital had me doing these things for short periods even the first morning after surgery. I took that as an example to continue on with once I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2014, 09:39 PM

A wedge is a good idea. I used pillows but a wedge might have been easier for me. Hard to reposition pillows when I couldn't really reach behind me. Another thing I found helpful was a toilet riser. It raised the level of the toilet seat about 5". Our toilet is low and it was very difficult for me to use. The riser was worth every penny. At my beside I placed a counter height stool. I used it to support myself when getting in and out of my bed. It also served to hold my Kindle, water, remote etc. Good luck!
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM

I used my wedge for the first few days and then found I didn't need it as much anymore. It really helped me get out of bed. The toilet riser is awesome too
Unread 08-10-2014, 01:16 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: help getting out of bed - bed wedge!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaleyes12 View Post
Hi sister's, I was thinking of getting a bed wedge for when I come home from the hospital.I thought it might help. Do you think it will help, or be a waste of money?
Hi crystaleyes! Now I'm post op I think all ladies pre-op should try this: With a friend, if possible, because it could be hilarious fun: Wrap your torso and bottom/ thighs with bandages/cling film etc so you can't bend, and practise getting in and out of bed! You will quickly learn to roll to the side of the bed, and as your feet head for the floor, you pull your lower elbow backwards until your hand can reach the bed and complete the standing action. Practising ahead of time will save having to learn when mistakes add ouches to the experience! Best wishes xx
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Supernova, I think I will try practicing. Good idea!
Unread 08-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: help getting out of bed - bed wedge!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturally View Post
Supernova, I think I will try practicing. Good idea!
Awesome! Thanks for making me smile!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register