What should I take to the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What should I take to the hospital? What should I take to the hospital?

Unread 11-19-2003, 09:14 PM
What should I take to the hospital?

I go in Monday, November 24th for a TAH. I am keeping the cervix and the ovaries if there are no problems with them. I have been reading the posts and saw where I need to buy panties that are one or two sizes larger. What else will I need? I have very little energy so I want to get everything that I need in one trip if possible. I had thought about ordering the Princess Package but I don't have enough time before I go to the castle. I might get it anyway as a welcome home present for myself. I appreciate any information you all can share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2003, 09:25 PM

I haven't gone yet, myself, but here's a few suggestions I picked up from the gals on the list:

larger panties
pads (if you don't like the hospital brand)
slippers
robe
personal care items (toothbrush/paste, face cleaning stuff, deoderant, comb/brush, ponytail holders if you have long hair and want to get your hair out of the way)
book
ear plugs, sleep mask to cover eyes (if you can't sleep with the lights on)
comfortable clothes to wear home
lip balm

Hope this helps!
Unread 11-19-2003, 09:25 PM

Hi Michqueen.

I have seen lots of posts here with suggestions about what to, (and not to), bring to the hospital. If you go to the "pre-op hints" board, there is a post on this subject, (#29 I think). Good luck!
I'm planning on getting my stuff this weekend too, as surgery's in 2 weeks and I want to avoid the stores the weekend after Thanksgiving, (the busiest shopping weekend of the year)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2003, 09:39 PM

Hi Michqueen,

I didn't need to buy larger panties, mine fit me just fine after surgery. The things I found most helpful in the castle were my lip balm, slippers and my robe. I wore the hospitals gown the entire time I was there, I didn't read because I just didn't have it in me to concentrate on reading and I didn't needs pads because I didn't bleed.

Good luck with your surgery. Ohhh, a good idea for when you get home, have stool softners on hand. I also needed gauze, peroxide and medical tape to cover my drain area, since it was still draining after the drain was removed.

Best of luck to you!

Mary Ellen
Unread 11-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Take to the castle

I had a tvh/bladder sling on 10/22/03--4 wks ago today! I don't know if the type of surgery would change what you need or not, but I did *not* need larger panties. I didn't have a lot of swelling. You also won't need pads. The hospital will give you some if you need them there--but that probably won't be for too long. I had a bit of light bleeding the first day, and then nothing but some very light pinkish spotting after that. At home I wore just a pantyliner for about a week. After I went to my 2 wk po visit, the doctor did a silver nitrate treatment to prevent granualation on my scar area, and I needed the panytliners again for about 24hrs. The actual medicine caused a bit of spotting.

Other than that, I took my hairbrush, toiletries like deoderant, toothpaste/toothbrush, and a bit of foundation to wear home. I wore my hospital gown the first 24 hrs, and changed into my own flannel gown late the next morning, after all the IV's, cath, etc, were out and I had bathed. It felt so soft and comfy. ;-) Oh, and I used my slippers to walk around the hospital.

I was only there for approx 34hrs, so if you anticipate being their longer it might mean additional needs. I also couldn't concentrate to read. I watched a bit of tv and dozed a lot, visited with my dh and friends who came by. I didn't do much reading for the first couple of weeks because I had trouble concentrating and it made me sleepy! ;-)
Unread 11-20-2003, 07:02 AM

I too, didn't need larger panties, as mine fit fine after surgery. I just took a toothbrush, toothpase, hairbrush, my glasses (I didn't think I'd feel like messing with my contact lenses, and I was right), deodorant and slippers. I wore the hospital gown the entire time, except the day I was discharged and I changed into the sweats and t-shirt I wore the day I checked in. I didn't really feel like reading or anything like that so you really just need the bare minimum. Wishing you an uneventful and pleasant stay at the castle.

:-)
Unread 11-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi,

I took a night gown, large panties, pad, book to read, slippers and clothes to wear home plus toiletries. I never even wore the night gown and was too out of it to even read but I was only in over night. Love, ((((STITCHER))))
Unread 11-20-2003, 08:54 AM

The one thing I wished I'd brought but didn't was facial moisturizer. By the second day my face was getting pretty flaky - thankfully my DD was able to bring mine frome home. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 11-20-2003, 09:09 AM

if you wear the hospital gowns, you will need to take a robe so when you get up to do your walkies, your assets won't be waving in the wind,so to speak.

Fluffy Lemur
PS: make sure your slippers have a good non-slip sole.
Unread 11-20-2003, 11:21 AM
chocolate!

YessireeBob, remember the favo-o-rite choc-o-late!!!

I stayed 5 days instead of 3 because I didn't do well on the meds, so I was glad I had a couple extra toiletries. We moved here to CA to take care of my M-I-L with Alzheimer's, so I didn't want my DH running wild back & forth (no other family in CA).

I took:
*toiletries -- including Scope. After waking, they used a sponge "lollipop" to swish water and another cup had water w/a couple drops of Scope in it. Made my mouth feel MUCH better.
*big'o white granny panties 1 size bigger -- I had a lot of swelling -- I used their disposable panties & pads 'til the trip home
*lip balm, hand lotion
*unscented disposable body wash cloths
*photo of family

My DH is NOT handy w/cell phone, so I gave him lessons and he kept it 24 hours a day. I used the room phone whenever I wanted to say Hi -- that way he could also tend to his mother. Whenever he came to the Castle he would bring fresh fruit.

I also bought some plain pajama bottoms in gray, black, & navy -- I wore those instead of sweats on warm days.

Since my surgery was planned 2 months in advance, I stocked up on video tapes and taped several movies. I also made sure I had 3 boxes of my favorite cereal because I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking snacks when he went back to work.

I hope your nurses are as wonderful as mine were
Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register