Stretching/Bending Restrictions...I don't understand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stretching/Bending Restrictions...I don't understand Stretching/Bending Restrictions...I don't understand

Unread 08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Stretching/Bending Restrictions...I don't understand

Maybe this is really dumb, but with my surgeon on vacation I have no one I can really check up with (see my other post regarding the "help" I got when I tried to go today) The most I can get out of the doctors I can see (who are just family doctors) is just go slow and be careful, your body will tell you.

The problem is, stretching/bending wasn't on my restrictions at all but I see so many sisters talking about it (and logically it makes sense) I had a LVAH (cervix and uterus) on the 19th. My restrictions were no lifting more than 5lbs, no driving until cleared and no sex...but that was it (and obvious things, no marathons etc) I was repeatedly told that I might be able to do a bit more because I'm young and healthy (sick of that expression because I had bad complications that made me feel anything but young and healthy)

Anyways, I will say that I feel very lucky in that I haven't really noticed any problems with stretching and bending. I spent 10 days in hospital so my body got lots of rest, and almost another week doing very little other than laying and going to the bathroom. I'm on my own now though and when I have had to get things off the floor or slightly higher than me (ie. hang a towel on shower rod) I've been ok. If it doesn't hurt (and doesn't hurt the next day) am I good to go? Is there a reason that so many of you have been told not to do these exercises?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I've done yoga/pilates for years...I'm 28 and I was quite fit going into the surgery. I don't know if that helps things heal up faster...I'm grateful for this one blessing in that it's not too hard because I am all alone...but I don't want to do harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Re: Stretching/Bending Restrictions...I don't understand

My GYN didn't fill in the restrictions part of my discharge papers. She didn't tell me what to do. The only not to do was not to just lay around because I jokingly said I was going to after I was dismissed.
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvad end View Post
My GYN didn't fill in the restrictions part of my discharge papers. She didn't tell me what to do. The only not to do was not to just lay around because I jokingly said I was going to after I was dismissed.
That's awful! Not very helpful at all (though I agree about not just laying around - don't want to get a clot) Well, it seems unanimous on here that there should be no sex, swimming, bathing or lifting more than 10lbs for 6 weeks (or until the doc says otherwise) so maybe follow that? How are you feeling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Clicking on "Hysterectomy Checkpoints" in the blue bar at the upper left of your screen will take you to some general information about recovery. If you can't get answers from your doctor, you might be safer to be conservative in your actions just to be safe--but that is just my opinion. Definitely if something hurts, don't do it.

s
Unread 08-16-2010, 11:28 PM

I have just returned from trip to my surgeon, I went and saw my GP in excruciating pain Dr worried so called my surgeon and I went straight over, he said I have a badly bruised bladder, huge collections of old blood and a possible bladder infection waiting on results. He told me in no uncertain terms to REST and do bare minimum the pain I am in is from stretching, bending and all round doing to much. Please take it easy, Im in worlds of pain...
Unread 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM

MimiM and miss75:
Sorry I wasn't clear that my GYN knew I was joking and was laughing when she replied. She knew I would be cautious since I had 1 surgery in May and 1 in June. The restrictions from that surgeon were basically the same except a 5 lb weight limit. Oh and he didn't mention no sex since it was for my leg veins and not my girlie parts. So far no complications. The GYN, Vascular surgeon, and FP have all told me to listen to my body and take it slow. I have been gradually increasing activities, resting when needed, and being down right lazy Friday and Saturday. Today I climbed 8 stairs, wandered around a few blocks of the antique district, and later carried my trombone in its case. Since AUG 2nd DH has been constantly saying "Are you sure you should be doing that?" So far the only thing I wished I had not done was sneeze (OUCH).
It has frustrated me to no end that I am limited on lifting and bending because we are in the long process of packing to move. I know how easy it could be to overdo.
I am so sorry that both of you have had complications. And wish you were not in pain.
Unread 08-17-2010, 12:50 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Weiser, if you don't mind me asking...I noticed you had your procedure at age 25...did you find that you bounced back faster because of your age? Were you in fairly good shape when you had it? (again, if you mind I'm sorry...just curious)

And miss75...thank you. Did it hurt WHILE you were doing it or shortly thereafter? That's the thing that I don't get, the doctors said that my body would tell me if it's too much. It doesn't seem to be too much. Plus I'm *technically* at Week 4 so maybe that's why (hard to tell because of the second surgery) But knock wood, it doesn't hurt during or afterwards...and I'm VERY careful. All the pilates and yoga help because I can do things a bit creatively For instance I was loading and unloading the dishwasher (no heavy dishes) and it was alright, and that was a few days ago. I just don't want to find out in a week that it was a bad thing to do y'know?
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:57 AM

MimiM, I felt great so I started doing odd bits around the house, dishwasher, small loads of washing, making beds, dusting etc annd picking up after my daughter, had also carried a couple of bags of shopping. Generally its not alot but I guess it all adds up. The problems Im having started slowly and became big!!! Just be careful, take care
Unread 08-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Saw my GYN this morning for 2 week post op appt. She said I can go up to 15 lbs now. She had repaired my umbilical hernia with the TAH/BSO so wants me to be careful about it also. Also released to drive, too bad my Eye Dr. is glad I don't drive because double vision and no depth perception.
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM

I knew right away if I had something I shouldn't. After my hernia surgery it took a couple of hours before I felt any pain, but with this one it was immediate. I did find I got very good at figuring out how to move.
Best advice, listen to your body.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register