Should I have hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I have hysterectomy? Should I have hysterectomy?

Unread 12-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Re: Should I have hysterectomy?

I have been "ruled" by fear all my adult life. My relevation when the doctor came in and held my hand was "at least I'll know". Iknow that sounds simplistic, but even if it WAS endometrial cancer, I would finally know. The other part of this story is that my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in January. She had a bilateral mastectomy and it was just stage I. They want her to have a PET scan to make sure there was no spread to the ovaries and she is afraid to. Almost a year has gone by with her worrying and depressed. I understand why she is afraid to go. I understand why YOU are afraid. The scary time is worrying before the appointment (so get one fast) and then while they are doing the test. Then the "thing" that has controlled you, the not knowing is GONE. I went home that day from the doctors office and cried all night.NOT because I was told I probably had cancer but because I hadn't gone to a doctor in so many years that it had probably spread and I was DEAD. I was lucky. But if I had cancer and had gone for yearly checkups I would have been a survivor. This all gets back to fear. Here is one more thing (when you think you have a stressful life - put yourself in my life). My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on 5/12. He is so brave. Never afraid to go for a ct scan. He had surgeryon 8/16, he is weak but fighting this horrible killer disease. I look at him and think that I wish I was like him even a little. He has faith and is brave. We need to figure out a way to be braver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Thank you Debbie for sharing your story, I am new here and am glad there is another woman who is fearful and overwhelmed by the decisions as well. *hugs*
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Hi Sharon,

Thank you, and hugs to you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2010, 05:23 AM

Hi Janet,

My heart goes out to you for what you must be going through with your husband. He sounds incredibly brave.

Thinking about you.

Debbie
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Singingheart,

I don't really have anything to say that will help except that we are in similar boats. I too am 48 and premenopausal. For a couple of years now I have had symptoms like hot flashes, irregular periods and skipped periods. Now they are 35 to 45 days apart and coming for 3 mo then usually skipping a month (even had it stop for 3 mo I think). I wasn’t too worried about it though except that my flow is thin but lots and at the drop of a hat I have to run to the bathroom and change pads. I also sometimes get spotting in between.

I too have a cyst that they can’t tell where it’s attached until they get in there but probably ovary. It appears I have had it for 2 yrs but it’s not grown much wider just longer. They say it doesn’t look “ugly” (one Doc’s words) or “like anything to make me excited” (LoL reg Doc’s exact words) lol but they do call it a Complicated Cyst. (I’m not known for being “easy” but I will post that in a different thread).

Im not too worried about cancer for some reason. But if I had that worrying me as well as not having insurance, and having the surgery AND if I had made the right decision, I don’t know what I would do.

I just want to get thru the next week, have my surgery and recover and have everything work as it should and know I made the right decision.

I will keep good thoughts going your way and hope everything turns out good for you too.

Ciarda
(hope you don't mind, but I'm adding you to friends list as soon as I figure out how )
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Hi Ciarda,

I've calmed down a lot since writing this post, as far as worrying about cancer. I'm not sure why, but I think a lot of different reasons, one being that it is completely out of my control. I also spoke to the dr. again, and, although she didn't put it in the way your dr. did, she said she isn't worried about what I have being cancer.

When is your surgery?

And I don't mind at all if you add me to your friends list. What's a friends list?

Debbie
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:16 PM

Maybe that is why I don't worry so much about there being cancer (altho I did the first few days until I talked to my Dr. he is such a great guy, been with me thru a lot of issues) Cancer isn''t something I can control if it's already there. I can't make it not be there by wishing or planning. I seem to deal with things by planning and making lists. lol one year santa gave me note pads in my stocking (daughters idea).

My surgery is the same day as yours, Jan 12th.

I have lists going on the questions to ask the Dr tomorrow at pre-op. I have them for ideas on what to take to hospital, what I will need at home, things to keep me busy.

I just did a better one of all the meds I take and when and just talked to sister to get the medical info on Grandparents and thinking of doing up a list with all the medical problems I have had and major ones Grandparents had.

Well, good luck Debbie on yours. Guess you can say we are going thru it together in a way. I will be sending good thoughts your way.

lol oh and I don't know really what a friends list is but I saw it said I didn't have any so added you as my first one just click on my name I think and I think there is a link to add to friends list.

Ciarda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register