contracting abdomen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

contracting abdomen contracting abdomen

Unread 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
contracting abdomen

Hi fellow sisters:
I had my TAH on January 18th and I have noticed in the past couple weeks my abdomen feels like it is tightening or contracting. is that possible???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Re: contracting abdomen

Hi Istewart14,

By contracting, do you mean all the time or a spasm? I have spasms at night in my upper/lower abdomen when I lay flat back. Last for just a few moments and then it is over. Dr. said normal.

Weird feelings this surgery brings up, huh?
Unread 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM

No it actually does not feel like a spasm...it feels like it's constantly tight like right in the middle of my abdomen below my belly button.

Yes they sure are weird sensations....but hopefully they won't last much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 03:57 AM

hmmm... I do not have that but then I have a different incision. I also can't remember if I had that with my lap last summer. But then I try to just block that the whole experience out. (Was worse than my TAH) :-) Hope it isn't causing you too much discomfort. Keep rested and us posted! Take care!
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:12 AM

No it is not causing me too much discomfort; it only feels weird. It is actually feeling a lot better now.
Unread 02-13-2010, 02:10 PM

3 weeks post and mine is still contracting. I guess I should feel comforted my muscles still work! But midsection still feels as supportive as a footstep made of Jello.

I finally figured out how to subscribe to a thread to follow this conversations too : )

thx for taking the time to post your thots.
Unread 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM

a footstep made of Jell-o, what a cute way to illustrate it. LOL have you ever tried using one?

Good for you, I think it is fun to start new threads; think of all those little webs we are weaving with all of our thoughts and experiences.
Unread 02-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Hi, about 4.5 weeks post a TAH I started to experience tightening/cramping that I think feels like a contraction. It comes on when I am moving, especially when I am walking. I experience a milder version when sitting. I am still experiencing it today, and I am just over 10 weeks now. At first it seemed constant but now seems when I am trying to walk too quickly or climbing stairs or lifting something. Medical staff did not give me any explanation - just we don't know when it will stop. Initially when I posted about it no one else seemed to have had the same experience and I was a little concerned as at the same time my incision had reopened in parts and I was being treated for an infection. I wonder if it is to do with nerve damage and the nerves starting to right themselves again. Parts of my stomach are still numb and the incision area still painful, especially when I have been physically active.
Unread 02-13-2010, 04:45 PM

It does happen. I had made a comment in one of my post-op updates. It's very weird. It's doing it less, but sometimes I catch my body doing it and just take a deep breath. I guess it likes to let us know there is a normal belly in our future!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register