Doing too LITTLE? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doing too LITTLE? Doing too LITTLE?

Unread 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Doing too LITTLE?

Is it possible to do to little during recovery? I have not been out to walk at all yet...just feel too yucky still. I putz around the house and do a few dishes and refill my water, then I go back to my bed and either lay down or sit there and either watch tv or crochet. Sometimes I walk from one side of the house to the other, which isnt very long. I know this is not the kind of walking I should be doing.
I guess I just dont know what I should be doing or shouldnt be doing and if being too sedentery is going to prolong my recovery.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Re: Doing too LITTLE?

Hi there,

You are supposed to rest a lot but they told me to walk as much as I can. Of course slowly, even up and down your driveway to get started. I had my TAH last week and have been walking 3 ten min walks outside a day. Now, I have my mom staying with me and she makes me do it. But Im glad I am and they say it will help with recovery.

Just take it really slow to get started. Plus I think it helps with the depression part of it all. I see you are from Ohio... take advantage of our sunny days.

Good luck
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM

If you aren;t hurting too much get out and go for a short walk! I started with walking down the block- just a few houses down- and turning around. It helped to wear tight undies or a one piece body shaper (still does).

I agree with tri- staying inside can be depressing. It is hard to get going but I always feel better when I go outside and feel the sunshine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM

As long as you are walking every few hours, even if it is in circles around your house inside, that should be fine for now. I was afraid to do anything other than walk for a bit. You do want to do that much to keep your bowels going. But I would say if you are tired then rest. I watched a lot of movies those first 2 weeks.
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:14 PM

How active you should be post op depends on many different factors. You should consider your overall health and activity level prior to surgery. Inactivity does make you more tired, laying in bed causes rapid loss of strength. If you really do not feel up to doing anymore activity than what you have described it may be best if you discussed this with your doctor. You may be anemic or maybe a result of medication or completely normal. If your doctor thinks you should be more active ask him for suggestions or maybe start by walking around the house for 5 minutes and do that several times an hour. Then maybe add in some sitting exercises for your arms and legs. After a couple of days you will start to feel a bit stronger than maybe have a friend or family member go outside with you. Walk a short distance from you door and go back. If you feel up to doing more - repeat. Just remember not to go to far from home because the trip back always seems longer.
My impression is - you feel like you should be capable of doing more. It never hurts to check with the doctor. Feel good.
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:20 PM

After my TAH/BSO, before leaving the hospital, my doc said I should be walking a mile a day. Not all at once, but total.

At my post-op check yesterday, he said I wouldn't be doing nearly as well if I hadn't been walking.

This may not be great advice but I wonder if you are taking pain meds or any kind of pain reliever. The reason I say this is that I found when I didn't take my meds, I was in more pain and less likely to walk. I would usually take the med and then start walking an hour later when it really kicked in. Just a suggestion.

There were a few rainy days where I didn't walk a lot and I really noticed a rapid loss of strength! If you really don't feel up to walking, try at least lifting your lower leg as many times in row when you can while sitting. At least you will be keeping your muscles active.

I also agree with the other ladies, if you feel that exhausted, it may be a medical issue and you should check with your doc.

Best wishes!
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Im not exhausted...just feeling icky. I havent taken anything for pain since the first week...but I am on Ativan which is a anti-anxiety med...also a tranquilizer...maybe that is what is making me feel so sluggish. I think a call to the dr may be in order.
thanks for the advice ladies
Unread 09-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Hi Sandycheeks,

Just wanted to let you know that I am on ativan as well. I found that taking it during the day made me feel much more sluggish. I now just take it at night to try to get a good nights sleep so I feel somewhat refreshed the next day.

I agree with taking the pain meds too. I take them and then I walk. Although, I want to be off them soon. I also have that "yucky" feeling but I do feel so much better after a walk. It doesn't help having anxiety during this.... does it? I keep going through ups and downs.

If you can, try to only take the ativan at night.

Keep us posted and take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register