I was put in post prtum floor after my surgery!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I was put in post prtum floor after my surgery!!!! I was put in post prtum floor after my surgery!!!!

Unread 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I was put in post prtum floor after my surgery!!!!

Un ******* believable

At one .2 young nurses came into ask if they could take vital signs of my baby
My boyfriend nearly hurled an object at their heads

On a separate occasion another two nurses came in to go over the right schedule vaccinations for babies under one year of age.
They came in when I was literally in screaming pain asking me for my decisions regarding certain vaccinations are getting that I did not just have a baby.

I had already done my mourning of losing my uterus so I handled it pretty well and didn't even mind so much seeing all the babies and the new mothers, still we need to be more sensitive to patient's needs that's just crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Re: I was put in post prtum floor after my surgery!!!!

I am so sorry this happened to you (though it sounds as if you handled it amazingly well). I don't understand why this seems to happen in multiple hospitals - When I went in for my hysterectomy, the nurse told me that there was a possibility I would be put on the Maternity Ward (I think if there wasn't enough space on the surgery short-stay ward), I was speechless. I got very lucky and didn't end up having to go to the Maternity Ward, but I have to admit, that would have really been hard for me. I've seen other women write of this as well on here. Anyway, I hope you are doing well
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:49 PM

(((hugs))) I can not believe that the nurses would just assume you had a baby without looking at your chart 1st. In my opinion someone let the ball drop. I am sorry But it upsets me that tbey did that to you. This surgery is emotional enough Someone should of informed the head nurse why you were there. I am so sorry you had to go threw this at the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2012, 05:53 PM

I had to stay one night that was unexpected too and at first they said they had no beds and might have to keep me in the recovery area. Then a bed opened up in orthopaedics, which I thought was odd, but they say it happens all the time. They fit you where they can fit you. Still, that is really insensitive to put you in the maternity ward. Unreal.
Unread 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM

(((Pipa)))

I am so sorry you had to go through this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagrl42 View Post
I don't understand why this seems to happen in multiple hospitals.
One very simple reason is that most women have surgery with a general OB/GYN who may want to keep all of his patients together. Other reasons can include possible less exposure to germs and such that might occur in other areas of the hospital. The nurses in this area should also be more knowledgeable about women's issues.

However, it can be traumatic so women should talk to their doctors about alternatives. Following surgery, a kindly written letter to the doctor and hospital about how this is emotionally difficult might help both to make different decisions in the future.

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM

So sorry, hope you're doing better now
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:59 PM

I was also in the maternity ward post-surgery. All the rooms are private rooms, so it was really nice not to have to have a roommate. But I didn't have the same type of problem you did. The nurses all knew why I was there. That is a total lack of sensitivity, and they should be reminded to check charts first. It's bad enough to be in for a hysterectomy, but imagine the pain if someone was there whose baby died during labor or delivery! That would be unspeakably cruel.
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:28 PM

I agree with tspiper,
I was also on maternity ward but nurses where very nice and sensitive.They kept my door closed most of the time.I have 2 beautiful children and had a previous tubal so my baby having days were over before my surgery ,but I could not imagine being on that floor if I was not blessed with my children and was having that taken from me prematurely.I ask the tech who wheeled me out if it was common for us hystersisters to be placed on that ward and as mentioned earlier some doctors due for convince but others or placed due to lack of space.
Either way,I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.Even though I to was not bothered by that part of surgery I'm sure constantly being treated as a new mother was not easy.I would tell my doctor at post op.It needs to be brought to someone's attention.
(((Hugs)))
Unread 08-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Pipa, could I top you??? Hmmm.....I too was on the baby floor hearing the glorious baby chimes singing every time a baby was born.

But...then....a nun came in my room to give me blessings and she asked.....

"WHERE'S

YOUR

BABY?????"

I prayed for her.
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:46 PM

I was also on the maternity floor. At my hospital, it was a brand new unit that had just opened 2 days before my hyst. There were only 2 nurses for the whole floor! Way understaffed, and very loud. I was so glad to get home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register