6+ weeks post hysterectomy: We're my taste buds attached to my uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6+ weeks post hysterectomy: We're my taste buds attached to my uterus? 6+ weeks post hysterectomy: We're my taste buds attached to my uterus?

Unread 08-06-2016, 06:49 PM
6+ weeks post hysterectomy: We're my taste buds attached to my uterus?

I know anesthesia and some of my antibiotics cause taste buds to go ari. My addiction to diet Pepsi is completely gone as I can't stand the taste... I saw an older thread that shares lots of stories like mine but I couldn't reply or ask a question.
For me its not just soda, orange soda and sprite taste ok but only abt 6oz once maybe twice a day. I have lost any and all desire for chocolate..sweets of all kinds actually, they have no satisfaction for me, anything made w tomato sauce, juice etc leaves a very strong acidic taste, I eat it and it's good just lingering bitter taste. Also certain foods just taste a lol off not bad persay just not as enjoyable, and today eating chicken strips I dipped it in some hotsauce that is a regular thing for me tho I usually mix blue cheese dressing w hot sauce because I like the flavor but can't handle the heat well I didn't have dressing today so I used Louisiana hotsauce which s a lil hotter than my usual and I couldn't get enuf of it, my family thought I st my mind eating a hotter sauce by itself, not me at all but it was so flavorful and satisfying. My question is how long does this last, is it permanent? I'm 6 wks post op it's gotten btr than it was at first w the antibiotics and anesthetics out of my system but i have a friend who's a yr out from her hysterectomy and hasn't been able to resume soda or even want it and also has been unable to eat pork at all since surgery. It's a good thing w the soda and sweets cuz man it was a weakness for me I'm just a lil curious abt the taste of my usial foods, wondering will I ever enjoy what I like again? So shoot where are ea of y'all at in the time frame of funky taste buds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Re: We're my taste buds attached to my uterus?

Gosh, I wish I had lost my taste for chocolate and sweet stuff! I don't drink soda, so I can't attest to that. I know the first two weeks I really craved scrambled eggs and fruit. Veggies didn't appeal much. Now I'm three weeks post op and I'm pretty much eating everything I was before. I did have an extreme craving for iced coffee, but that's gone now.
Unread 08-06-2016, 08:32 PM

I also had some mild egg cravings!! Lol that is a crazy on huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2016, 09:21 PM

My appetite is not that great either, and I have noticed that tasting things seemed dulled.
Maybe a side effect of anesthesia?
I have been wanting sweets, but I am trying not to indulge in those.
Watermelon and Greek yogurt have been the things I have really had a taste for.
Thought I was imaginating the loss of taste!
Unread 08-06-2016, 10:22 PM

The only thing that has tasted good to me since surgery are snow cones! I eat one every day. I've lost almost 10 lbs post op because I just don't want to eat. It's been a pleasant side effect for me!
Unread 08-07-2016, 07:40 AM

I too lost 10lbs my first couple wks gained 6 of those back. I know in the beginning the anesthetics as well as tindamax antibiotics had a lot to do w the bitterness of taste but the thing that were worse in the beginning have gotten btr, for me it's just weird this desire for spicy foods. Again last night I found NO heat were my hotsauce guzzling family was complaining and again it was so satisfying! My other kick has been jolly ranchers. The only sweets I've wanted and that taste normal.. and no I don't usually eat them much less be buying the huge bags.
Unread 08-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Re: 6+ weeks post hysterectomy: We're my taste buds attached to my uterus?

I definitely had no taste for much of anything the first two weeks except steamed veggies, the blander the better. Wasn't interested in pasta, pizza, wine, didn't enjoy yogurt, even chicken sounded heavy. I ate fiber cereal because I needed the fiber, but one 1/2 cup serving with raisin bran and I felt like I'd pulled up a chair to stake out a corner at one of those all-you-can-eat horse trough places. I switched to water pre-surgery and have returned to Diet Pepsi maybe 1-2 times per week, no other sodas. Lemon flavored water fits better into my preferred fitness anyway.

Things have returned to normal taste-wise, though I can't seem to eat the same amount of pasta that I could before. Not a bad thing. I tend to eat clean without a lot of heavy sauces.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register