Bm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Bm

I arrived home yesterday, 1/16 after my TAH on 1/14. I've been recovering well and have minimal pain now. I still haven't had a BM yet. Is that normal? I'm just wondering how long before I should start to worry. I haven't taken anything to help it move along, other than old fashioned walking and fiberous foods. I'm scared to take a lax or softener because I've never taken either before. Hoping I can get it moving without meds.

Last dose of pain med was before midnight last night, and it's just really sore but not toooooooo bad, so I'm trying to hold off on taking anything to see if that will also help get things moving. I'm feeling gas and movement and pressure, and before I left docs and nurses said bowels sounded good.

Thanks for all of the good info here! This site has been so helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Re: Bm

Drink a lot of liquids, I drank water, some tea even some juice....fiber will actually bind you up without enough liquids. Keep walking that helped me. I never took anything...i don't like the lax or anything. If you did bowel prep it could be another couple of days, if you didn't then I would think the next day or so...hang in there...it's all worth it!!!
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks Dee. I was drinking lots of fluids in the hospital, but have been a slacker here at home. Thanks for the reminder! I miss those ice chips from the hospital!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM

OMG... finally got things moving. OOOWWW! That was not fun. Hopefully it's better after the first one?
Unread 01-17-2010, 04:18 PM

It took me a week before I had a BM and like you it was not fun. Having a bowel prep, anesthetic and narcotics can slow the bowels. You might find that you will be irregular for a bit. Lots of water and movement that is right for you will help. In the end though I did take milk of magnesium to get things going. A stool softner might be a gentler way to keep things moving.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register